Home Alone with the Mustang GT100

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by VerySlowHand, May 10, 2018.

1. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Please prevent my brain from exploding! :confused:

I want the simplest, clutter-free amp/effects/looper solution to playing at home only.

And after thinking I'd get 'separates'... a Zoom G5n (easy UI), a Jamman and a Blackstar ID30TVP amp, I'm wondering if a fender Mustang would be better... especially the GT, as it has an onboard looper, all the basic effects that I realistically want or need, and an fx loop (if I do still want a Jamman).

The thing that's driving me nuts is that I can't believe a 100 watt Mustang will sound good at domestic volumes.

Having studied the manual and YooToob videos, I like the UI of the Mustang GT and I'm happy to commit to some patient tweaking to get it set up how I want it.

What would you guys do?
    Is the GT100 overkill for home use?
    Is there a lower output modelling amp with fx loop?

Thanks.

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

IMO it sounds a lot better at home. Thats the probelm i had with it. I think the speaker in it sounds great at home, lousy at stage volume. The amp appears to me to be designed for home use in mind. I was never able to get as good a sound in a band mix as at home even with different speakers, tho with the stock speaker was the biggest issue loud. Same with the old mustang, tho that one had nothing to do with the speaker. So IMO you're barking up the RIGHT tree.

Telescience likes this.
  3. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

Thanks Bud. I know I always over-think these things, but it's nice to have a positive response.

Think the best answer is to just get on and 'scratch the itch' - buy a used Mustang GT100* and see if I get on with a new (to me) way of doing things.

*Any views on GT100 vs III V2 anyone? From what I gather, it's not clear if Fender will continue to support the III V2.

4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's sort of like "Do you want the Mazda 6 with AC, or the Mazda 6 with climate control?"

One is a bit better, but they are both in the same ballpark given the grand scheme of things.

YMMV.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You'd be surprised. Too many old-school tube amp folks get hung up on the "sweet spot" thing, which doesn't exist with digital gear. Lately I've been running my Kemper Power Rack into a Marshall 1960A cab. At 16 ohms, the Kemper produces 300 watts. Yes, there's enough horsepower there to blow the windows out if I really wanted to. However, it sounds great at pretty much any volume. I rarely have it loud enough to even get my neighbors' attention.

Telescience likes this.
  6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I’ve gone down a similar path and the short answer is: if it sounds fine it is fine.

In looking for the ultimate at-home blues amp I’ve found several that all worked great, ranging in wattage size from a tweed Princeton, to an 80s Super Champ, to a bf Deluxe Reverb and a 70s Pro Reverb.

With the latter two I used an overdrive pedal designed to work with a clean amp.

All of it was great at volumes you could watch TV over.

Those amps are in storage as I’ve moved overseas.

But as a replacement, after reading a bunch of user reviews, I bought a used Mustang III v2. I don’t need 100 watts. But it cost less than a single boutique overdrive pedal and sounds great at living-room volumes without disturbing folks in the apartment next door.

Jim Dep likes this.
  7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

The 100 watt Mustang III sounds great at home volume, IMHO, and maybe 100 watts is over kill, but I keep it turned down and can get a cranked up type of tone without disturbing anyone else in the house. The Celestian speaker in the MIII is higher quality than the speakers used for the Mustang I and II.
    For playing on stage, which I don't anymore, I've recommended using an external EQ pedal with the amp to dial in/out the frequencies that may be missing or undesirable at a higher volume, to give consistency between home and stage. I'm not saying you'll forget about your Mesa Boogie Mk 5 on a gig, but a Mustang III can work well, as told to me by working musicians I respect, who do gig with a Mustang III.
    I have no experience with the Mustang GT, but if the GT 100 is anything like a Mustang III, I'd think the same would apply, unless Fender goofed it up. The GT has a built in graphic EQ and a plywood cabinet, which on paper should translate to a big step up.....but what's on paper doesn't always make it so.

privatesalt, olefudd and Telescience like this.
  8. VerySlowHand

VerySlowHand Tele-Holic

I'm still on the fence. Wondering now if I even need an amp. I bought a ZOOM G5n and, since it's full of amp and cab sims, maybe a monitor (or powered) speaker would make more sense. I don't really want to spend time tweaking the G5n and a modelling amp.

Plus, if I'm bringing in backing tracks from You Tube into the G5n aux, maybe a monitor speaker would give a better overall sound - and double up for use with a home music system. Soon to move to a house that I'm gutting and refurbishing, so I was thinking of starting from scratch and rigging up a SONOS or similar system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for putting up with me, btw! :)

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

I agree, I wouldn't do a Zoom with a modeling amp. That's like putting sugar on Sugar Frosted Flakes.
    With the Zoom, I'd go for a solid state Peavey. You'd have a nice clean pallet that won't color the effects from the Zoom. For playing over backing tracks, I like my guitar separate from the other instruments.

Georox likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.