Homage to 9/11...Where were you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lowatter, Sep 11, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I forgot that my GF at the time had left Logan at the same time and on a flight with the same destination as the terror bombers.
    Took the whole day to find out of she was dead or alive.
    She ended up stuck in the midwest for maybe two weeks and eventually rented a car to drive home.

I had also sent a money order for $175 to buy books for a non profit I volunteer in.
    It never arrived at the destination and USPS confirmed that it was on one of the hijacked planes.
    Took a couple of months but I got the money back.

I was in a no TV period so we missed seeing the coverage.
    Harsh to see.
    But around the world millions of little kids grow up in worse conditions.

Grateful for what we have here...

2. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

In a meeting about 2 blocks from the Pentagon!

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I worked nights then. I had stumbled out of bed that morning to feed the cats and gulp down some caffeine. Turned on the TV not long after the first airplane strike had been reported, and was glued to the TV for the rest of the morning.

Today I do not want to see any images of burning or collapsing towers.

4. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I started this thread at 9AM eastern time and there's already 62 responses from those sharing their experiences. I read and appreciate all of them and thankful that it didn't get political considering the subject matter. Someone mentioned that it's not about us but those in the towers and of course we care about those who were lost and directly affected. I think however most everyone was somehow affected emotionally etc and as human beings we all should remember what happened that fateful day and learn from it.

Wallo Tweed, Stubee and imwjl like this.
  5. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I am self employed so there is no clock I think something felt strange and I see the first clips of the plane hitting the towers. My mind tripped to the story where a B-25?? flew into the Empire State building in a fog. I always wondered how it could stand and read accounts of it. SO, I thought unfortunately a similar thing happened. Even though it was clear. When the 2nd plane hit, my jaw dropped. I knew we were in a **** of trouble. I spoke with my wife, but I was numb, she wasn't really getting the magnitude. Really most people were not getting the magnitude unless they were in NYC and the surrounding area. I went to get a sandwich at the nearby supermarket and sit in their cantina. Thats when I started to get a bit of fear. People weren't coming in in droves, but market baskets were excessively full. I went to Home Depot and the rage was on. There were people buying supplies. Duct tape was about to disappear. I actually bought some totally out of context of my logic. Like if your going to be gassed or blown up, what the hell can you do that a home made safe house could provide. Why? Cause then KAOS would appear as gun owners start their survival of the fittest campaign. In other word, what the use to complain or prepare for something like this. You can say the Bush administration did not follow up properly. But who knows what we were never privy to or what restrictions we had to act with. But make no mistake, it was hairy day of complete insecurity. I felt far better after an Earthquake. But this dark feeling fell all over the nation for weeks & months. A Beatles reunion would have helped

6. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

My client lived below the towers. From his balcony, if you look straight up, there they are. Tey were inside when the first hit and everyone ran to the center of the building for safety. There was no thought of a terror attack, most assumed it was a horrible accident. After 15 minutes or so, they went to check on the apt. He walks out on his balcony, looks up to see the damage and witnesses the 2nd plane hit. Right above him. Again, make no mistake, we all had a bad day. No one was smiling or dancing, smiling. Everyone had the same Dam look on their face,like we all got the news of a close relative dying in their prime.

Here is a guy who helped a lot

lowatter likes this.
  7. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

8. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I remember where I was, but I still have big questions about 911,,,

Larmo63 likes this.
  9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I was unknowingly working the first day of the final 60 days of an awesome aviation career. The firm I worked for was insured by the same company that insured United Airlines, and declared bankruptcy thus cancelling our policy. Not even a daredevil would work in aviation without a strong liability policy.

10. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

My wife and I were on vacation, visiting her father in Pennsylvania. I was in the shower thinking about the family baseball outing that was planned for that evening at the new PNC Park in Pittsburgh, when my wife urgently called to me to come out and watch some breaking news from New York City. When I got to the TV I saw images of smoke coming out of one of the two World Trade Towers, and not more than a couple of minutes later we both watched in disbelief and horror as another plane crashed into the other tower.

Less than an hour later as we watched the news we were alarmed by an announcement that another plane had been identified as possibly being diverted by terrorists to western Pennsylvania. A short time later we learned that plane had crashed less than 25 miles from my father-in law's house.

Throughout the day my wife's extended family gathered at the home to watch network news coverage, and offer each other comfort and support. It helped to be with a group of people, somehow reaffirming our own humanity in the face of the horror we all had witnessed. When the unsurprising announcement came a little after noon that the Pirate baseball game along with all other MLB games had been cancelled until further notice due to the unfolding events, it brought an unexpected and grim realization that our lives going forward were never going to be the same as they were before this terrible day had begun.

11. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

Interesting:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

At an oil and gas conference in San Antonio. I woke up and switched on the TV in my hotel room. They were just showing the smoke on the first tower when the second tower was hit. I got dressed and went to the reception/buffet area. No one was eating only watching the TV. Most of the guests were from the conference. We all headed off to the conference and two booths had TV's. Everyone was watching the two TV's. It was day 2 of a 4 day conference. The conference ended early and everyone one headed home.

13. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

One of my brothers in law had a meeting the previous day at Cantor Fitzgerald and everyone he met with died in the attack.
    Another brother in law worked in 1 WTC but was slow in getting started that morning. He saw the plane hit the building and most of his coworkers were among the victims.
    I was preparing for a conference call in my office, less than 2 miles from the Pentagon.

14. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was in LA attending a training seminar on Nikon Coolpix digital cameras. Training was cancelled and we were all left to fend for ourselves. Without the airlines flying I was stranded in LA. One of my fellow repairmen and I rented a car from Hertz and drove home, me to Denver and him on to Hesston, Kansas. It took me days to get my car from the DIA parking lot. But at least we made it home to our families safely at a time where we had no idea what was going to happen.

15. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was in a meeting with a bunch of people from various agencies, all living in the Philly area, but folks from all over really. Including a few people from New York who had family there. We were hosting it so it was in our conference room and I periodically had to run back to my desk to get some additional material relevant to what we were meeting about. And then when I'd leave the room I heard about the first plane, but didn't sound like a big deal, then heard about the second plane, and saw video of it and it was clearly a VERY BIG deal. Then that one of the towers had collapsed, by which time the meeting wasn't really happening, with people calling their families and whatnot. But there was one guy in the meeting, who I happened to work for at the time, who couldn't let the meeting topic go, and kept trying to bring the random freaked out discussion back to this fairly significant transportation project, that couldn't have been less significant in that moment. And he just wouldn't let it go, until finally our department director, who was HIS boss, told him to chill out, the meeting was effectively over, and to just drop it. Which I was amazed he had trouble grasping on his own.

This was a government building (local, but nobody had any idea what was really up at that point) and by noon the place closed down, as did my daughter's school, but my wife's school oddly didn't, so I raced home on my bike to make sure I was there when my daughters got home. Youth being youth (they were 12 and 13), they knew something had happened, but they didn't really grasp it or it's implications. But, damn, it was a heavy time. "Our Pearl Harbor" except this war has lasted a lot longer (though with far fewer American casualties. But the mental images of what the people on the top floors of those buildings, and on Flight 93, were going through, recognizing that their lives were ending and taking some control over how they went out - those were and are still way too heavy for me to even wrap my head around. If I ever manage to forget that morning, it's because I've gotten too old and am losing my marbles and will probably getting ready to check out.

16. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

I was getting ready to leave for work and glanced at the TV news as I was going out the front door. The first plane had just hit, and the live coverage was on the tube. I stopped there in my tracks and closed the door. I stood there for a few minutes and was watching when the second plane hit the other tower. I knew then that the world had changed, and nothing would be the same.

17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

My dear sister and I used to email each other from work back in those days. She told me that a plane had hit the first tower.
    I assumed it was like the bomber that hit the Empire State Building years ago.
    A few minutes later, the second.
    The internet was fairly new then and all the news sites were overloaded, thus shut down.
    Finally I logged onto the BBC and could see updates.
    Terrible day.
    Not much of anything not involving 911 was on the news for 5 years. At least it got the 24/7 coverage if O.J. Simpson off the air.
    I also became a Master Mason that year. Unrelated of course, but that year was a turning point in a lot of ways.

18. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I was flagging on the Route 114 bridge in Bradford, NH. When the first one hit John who was operating the 318 (a backhoe - good sized one - for tight squeezes) heard it on the radio and told us. I assumed it was something like a Piper Cherokee that rammed The Tower. 20 minutes later the second one hit the second Tower and that's when people's cell phones started ringing, National Guardsmen, Reservists, You get it. We lost almost all the whole crew to call ups and deployments. Where we were working on The Bridge we were used to seeing Jets in holding patterns for the Airports, but in the days that followed it was quiet in the skies, all we'd see is military craft flying in pairs.

19. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I was at a recording studio, hired to track some backing vocals for another artist’s album. I was only to be there for a couple of hours, but when I walked in everyone was staring at the television in disbelief - that’s when I first found out.

20. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I walked into work, which was a cubicle laden office. 1st plane had hit and ppl had heard it on the news, I hadn't listened to the radio on my drive so that was the first I'd heard.
    2nd plane hit a few minutes later....we were like 'what the #$%^$ is happening?'

Someone rolled a TV on a cart into the building's lobby....we watched.

Then the pentagon. Wow.

As the group watched, there were reports of missing planes being hijacked/gone rogue whatever...we didn't really know..and the AF jets had been scrambled, I commented to group "they'll have to to take them down". As much as I remember watching the events of that that day, I remember the immediate turn towards me in disbelief and horror on a co-workers face as I said that.
    As it turns out, the passengers on United 93 knew it too. Can you believe what they had to do? Crazy.

Very sad day,,, actually very sad weeks and months to follow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.