Homage to 9/11...Where were you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lowatter, Sep 11, 2019.

1. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I was in my office on a group chat on my computer with a friend who was watching the events unfold from HIS office tower some distance from the events. No visuals, just what he was telling us. Unforgettable and tragic.

2. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

As the IT & network guy at a public high school, I had just walked into my office and saw the school vice principal there, watching news on our TV. He pointed at the screen and said, "Look at that!" Just then, the second plane hit the second tower.

As a consequence of the events of that day, three of my sons and my son in law joined the military. My three sons still serve today.

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I was driving to a sales call with one of my sales reps. Local rock station DJ's were getting sketchy reports of small plane hitting one of the towers. The radio was on in the car. We pulled over for gas at a large truck stop on the way to Chicago and about 40 people were huddled around a TV mounted up high in the entry. I saw the smoke and became very alarmed as the reality set it.

4. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

I was at work, afternoon here. Around the coffe table someone said that they had mentioned on the radio news that a smaller airplane had hit WTC. After the break, back at the computer, I tried to find some more information about it. It was just that that all major news sites I could think of, Swedish, European and American, seemed to have crashed or had become inaccessible. Here we understood that something bigger than a Cessna had went down.

After a while, maybe 30 minutes, one of the major newspapers in Sweden had stripped their homepage to bare basics, no frills, text only mode, and we got the news.

I went home, turned on the TV, opened an Anchor Liberty Ale and thought that the world had just became a worse place. I watched the first tower fall, then I watched the other one fall. I was sad. Righteously.

5. Chris4189

Chris4189 TDPRI Member

I was working nights that week on a special assignment and was woken up that morning by my land line and cell phone nothing ringing at the same time. I answered the land line first and it was my cousin who owns/operated a dance studio in NYC and she was crying and said we were under attack. My work cellphone was steadily ringing while on the phone with her and it was my boss telling me to get my bags packed and get my bomb dog loaded up and get to the Pentagon ASAP.

Milspec likes this.
  6. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Fist day back to work after my dad’s funeral
    Quite surreal

7. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I went to work early because the surf was good, and I wanted to get some things done while waiting for tide to get right. It was a gray, overcast, dismal morning for Florida. I was about ready to leave when one of my work neighbors came over and said something.

I got in my truck turned on the radio, and decided to head home instead of surfing. Got home just in time for the second WTC hit. Never did surf that day...

8. D0PETHR0NE

D0PETHR0NE NEW MEMBER!

I was days away from my 30th birthday, I had started celebrating early (I partied allot back then) and was in bed hungover when my fiance woke me up and told me there was an accident, a plane flew into one of the Towers. I got up to watch the news and saw the second plane hit. My fiance was crying, it all seemed so surreal.

9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I was at work (procurement) and speaking with a supplier in NYC when he started describing what he was seeing.

10. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

I was just starting my junior year at Michigan State University. It was my first year living off campus. I would drive my car to the 'student ghetto' to park closer to campus. I remember being a bit dazed from waking up moments before and listening to the news on the car radio and not being able to wrap my mind around it. I honestly thought of Orson Wells' War of the Worlds and thought it was a hoax of some sort.

I made it to class, French I, which was run by a TA that didn't have the authority to cancel class. I don't remember much else after that.

11. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I was at a business conference that week in Los Angeles. I woke up in the hotel room and turned on the TV. I guess the news was the last channel I was watching the night before, but I thought it was some movie. It took me a bit to find out it was real.

The conference was a week long deal, but that day was cancelled, so we all sat around in the hotel bar and lounge, fixed to the TV. Since all the airports were closed, no one could go anywhere, so they kept the conference going (at optional attendance).

At the end of the week they had sort of opened up the airports again. The LAX airport was showing most of the flights still cancelled, but I was flying out of the much smaller John Wayne/Orange County airport, and it showed my flight as still on.

My company was sponsoring the event, and so we had a lot of attendees. Our main office is in Texas, so the VP rented 2 buses to get everyone back. I had to make the call to either go on a 2 day bus trip, or chance it with the flight. I got to the airport about 5 hours early and there was hardly anyone there. I breezed through check in and security and had what was normally a non-eventful flight. But you could feel the tension in the plane throughout the whole flight. We all clapped when we landed and breathed a big collective sigh of relief.

I was lucky I didn't have to sit on that bus for 2 days, but it was certainly a day (and week) that I'll never forget.

Cheers,
    Doug

12. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

At home nursing a broken foot. Channel surfing when I saw an image of one of the towers smoking, announcer saying a plane had hit it. I was thinking it was a small plane, when the second one came into view and hit the second tower. Then came the news about the pentagon and Schwenksville.

i'll never forget it.

13. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Princeton, NJ. I was in my apartment, and my classmate called me and told me to turn on the TV. I believe one of the men who died in the United 93 crash in Somerset County, PA, was from Princeton.

simond likes this.
  14. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I was getting ready for work. I had the news on in the other room when I heard about it.
    [​IMG]

DADGAD likes this.
  15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I was in my office when my secretary came in and mentioned that a plane had hit the tower. I went to the conference room and turned on the TV we used for training and found a new station. We watched as the smoke billowed out of the first tower and wondered what had happened. Then the second plane hit, we all sat there stunned and silent.
    Then reports of other planes being hijacked was reported. When the towers fell we all just sat in shock at what we witnessed.

I do not think anyone stayed at work that day. We all found out way out of the office early that day. I was flying the next week, and things were never the same.

16. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I was in the pub having lunch. I was just having my second pint when a chap came in and said put the TV on, something's going off in America.

17. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

In my late brigade’s shooting range doing some tactical shooting. Heard the news through someone’s car radio. First we thought wow, what’s this? The second thought was that fortunately we are fully prepared (armed to the teeth). Never forget that day.

18. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I lived in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada at the time.
    I managed an extremely busy pawn shop, and was unaware of the attack till about 4/5 hours after.
    I had an appointment with my divorce lawyer at 2PM, and he told me.
    It seemed unbelievable, and utterly senseless.
    It still does.
    18 years.
    I’ve been back in Texas almost 16.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I was about to start teaching. My habit was to scan through the news on the CNN website and CNN had just uploaded a picture of the first struck WTC tower, no words, just a title about an airplane hitting it. I assumed it was an accident. Later, someone stuck their head into my classroom and said the tower had collapsed.

Meanwhile, my wife was at a playground with our young daughters. She told me someone there panicked and left, hearing the news, as if the next target would be playgrounds in Canada. Meanwhile, in Gander, Newfoundland...

20. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I was on my way to my job at Taylor Guitars when I heard the report on the radio about the first tower getting hit.

My first thought was "My God, what a horrible accident."

Until it became obvious that it wasn't.

Around lunchtime I walked into the repair shop where there was a small television just in time to see the first tower fall.

I couldn't work. I went home, phoned a few loved ones who lived in the city and other places back east, chain smoked and sat glued to CNN for the the next day and a half.

Then the stock market took a dump and I was unceremoniously laid off the following November.

Still kind of bitter about that.

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.