Homage to 9/11...Where were you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lowatter, Sep 11, 2019.

1. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

I know that some of the younger members here weren't even born yet or too young to remember how important this day is to US history as a country but I hope that we can keep the images and the feelings alive. I was in Prescott Arizona and my wife was in Ohio when my wife called and told me to turn on the TV and we both watched in horror and disbelief. A day truly etched in our minds. May those that perished and suffered from this day find peace. It still chokes me up to this day. Can you just imagine being part of the Greatest Generation?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

7th grade, second period social studies with Mr. Drenth.

They wheeled in one of those AV club T.V. sets.

Soon after the towees fell, they cancelled the rest if the school day.

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Meister

I was in Portola, CA. I was a firefighter for the Forest Service. Was in my pickup on my way to work like any normal morning and couldn’t even comprehend what I was hearing on the radio. When I got to the station they already had the tv tuned to the coverage. We spent the whole day just watching it.

4. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

I was driving on the Interstate when the news hit the radio.

5. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

5th grade. Mrs. Vermillion's class.

Did the same thing fasteddie's class did. They wheeled in a tv and we watched the coverage. We also were let out of school the rest of the day. Looking back I appreciate the fact that they let us in on what was going on, instead of hiding it, even though we were kids.

KG7IL and nojazzhere like this.
  6. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Where was I?

I wasn't in the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, or any of the four airplanes, hence I am still alive.

I'll never forget that day.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Just got to work, 8am on Lake Austin Blvd. Back then my morning routine was to go to the CNN website for morning news. Front "page" had something about OJ Simpson. I either clicked on that (doubtful) or some other news link. Page wouldn't load. I backpaged and the homepage pic had suddenly changed, but was taking forever to load. A small plane had apparently ran into one of the Twin Towers, was went through my mind. After 10 or 15 minutes or so I began to realize something was very, very wrong....

Stayed at work that day, but no one got anything done. Someone put a news channel on a screen in the conference room. I stopped in a couple of times. Just happened to watch either or both towers collapse.

My daughter was born two months later. Our first child was stillborn a year earlier, on September 6th. I cried myself to sleep several nights the week of the 11th. I was still grieving the loss of my son. Everything was going to be different, and I was very scared.

With the current political climate (pun not intended), nowadays I feel..... similarly. Sorry, but it's true. Ban away if that's too political.

8. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

My wife and I were home watching the morning news. At first it was reported that a plane had hit one of the towers but it sounded more like when a B-25 (military twin engine bomber) accidentally hit the Empire State Building in 1945. Of course soon we knew it was no accident. Watching the towers collapse was simply horrific. Plus flight 93, the Pentagon, the emergency workers, etc. All those people who died was beyond terrible but all the families who had to and continue to try to deal with the losses under those circumstances is so heartbreaking. Chokes me up too.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I was in a meeting. All three buildings were hit before I heard about it. The internet was down, so I went home and watched CNN.

10. Cantbreak100guy

Cantbreak100guy Tele-Meister

24 years old. A month into my new job with a baby on the way.
    I'm a finish carpenter. I had no radio and was working alone. I saw a lot of people huddled around work trucks listening to the radio. I didn't ask what was going on.
    Sometime before lunch my coworker came in to talk about it. He let me know what happened. I made it home and saw the footage on the news that evening. Awful.

11. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Call center for a now defunct cell phone carrier here in Midland. I clocked out and watched the skies all day.

12. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

I was on my way out to the farm when I stopped at the farm supply to pick up some stuff. The store owner came out to visit for a minute and told us that a plane had just crashed into the WTC. It was surreal going out to spend the day hauling in big round bales of hay for the winter while listening to the world falling apart on the tractor radio.

13. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I was getting ready for school here in SA when my mom called and told me to turn the TV on. Something about a plane hitting one of the towers. I flipped on the news expecting to see the effects a small Cessna, I was not ready for what followed. When I watched the second plane hit i knew that the history of the world was changing before my eyes.

My future wife was about to start her 3rd year at NYU. She and her friends/roommates watched everything unfold from their dorm windows. The stories she's told me of that day and the days following are both heartbreaking and inspiring.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I was probably one of the last people to learn about it. Living off the grid and establishing my cabin, it wasn't until sundown that day when I turned my shortwave radio on to catch BBC news that I found out. It was an odd day, because I noticed the lack of contrails, which to this day has never come back to pre 911 levels. Also a military helicopter flew by, which has never happened since either. I don't watch TV, so I have never seen much footage of that day. So, I experienced something completely different than anyone I know.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I was working as a neon glassblower for a large sign company in Arlington, TX. We had a radio on in the neon room, and after we heard first reports, we popped into a break room periodically where there was a TV. As you all know, it was at first thought to be just a tragic accident, but then quickly became apparent it WASN'T. I'll have to ask my grandson (who was almost four at the time) but I doubt he has any memory of it.
    I put my U.S. flag out this morning.....it's Patriot Day.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  16. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

At work in Memphis. My retired mother called me in disbelief and then customers started doing the same. Horrible, tragic day.
    There were no planes in the air that eavning and that was a strange sight with Memphis being one of the most busy airports at night. (Fed Ex)

I flew (as a passenger) within a week (the 16th I think) and will never forget the mood at the airport. Armed military presence made it feel like another country.

Milspec likes this.
  17. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Living in Commack, NY, starting my work day when my wife (then girlfriend) called and told me a plane hit the WTC. I turned the TV on just in time to see the second tower get hit.

It was a brilliant early Fall day, just like the one we've got here today. The day became a blur of TV news coverage, phone calls from clients and fighter jets screaming over my house.

That afternoon I took my dog outside and I could smell burning in the air, like a shorted circuit. That smell would hang on for better than a week.

I was supposed to have gone into a sub-contract gig in the Financial District (half block from the WTC) that morning, but the company canceled the day before. Funny how those things work out.

- D

Milspec likes this.
  18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I had a job in NYC (a block from the Towers) but I was on vacation and at home in New Jersey when the planes hit. My mom was over visiting from England and was home with me. It was a beautiful clear, warm and sunny late summer day in New York.

My wife was in Manhattan at her office on 28th Street. She finally safely got home to NJ late in the evening. She was supposed to meet a client in the WTC that morning but the client cancelled it the day before.

The building I worked in didn't open again for over a year - all the employees were temporarily transferred to an office in NJ. It was definitely the most horrific event in both our lives.

moosie and Milspec like this.
  19. intensely calm

intensely calm Tele-Meister

Had just walked into a job interview, the lobby TV was showing footage of a plane hitting the first tower.
    I was a bit shook, the interviewers were oblivious to what was happening.

Bellacaster likes this.
  20. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Same job I'm in now, but in a different building in Arlington, VA. In the old building I was on the roof watching the Pentagon pour out black smoke. By noonish the bright blue sky had taken on a sickly green tint. Metro was shut down and basically everyone in the District walked home or wherever they could get to. Everything shut down except a few bars in the area, who were doing a booming business. My apt was on the main road a half mile south of Arlington Hospital Center and the park a block down the street from me and school ball field across the street were being used as landing fields for Medivac helicopters. It was roughly 24 hours of non-stop LOUD helicopters and sirens.

matmosphere and Milspec like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.