1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Holy cow. Tons of noise!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Laxy picker, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Laxy picker

Laxy picker TDPRI Member

So I did a gig today and "sap, crackle, pop. My signal was Joe dirty.... now that I'm at home after the show I am so breaking out some deposit and hitting all my signal path. Fellow players as we re-fire our guitars I found today that my chime jazz cleans sounded unintentionally like war pigs.

dented, StevesBoogie and tintag27 like this.
  2. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

'chime jazz to war pigs'...

Yeah! - oh no, sorry!, that's bad isn't it?

Laxy picker likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If you're going to use a contact cleaner like Deoxit, do not squirt it into any jacks. Instead, spray it on a plug and quickly do "the ol' in-out" (to quote Alex DeLarge) in the jack.

A better option: with a blue Scotchbrite pad (~1000 grit) in your hand, grip it over each quarter-inch plug in your signal chain and rotate the plug two or three times. Cleans 'em right up and makes for a more positive connection in the jack.

Other grades of Scotchbrite will work, but they can prematurely abrade the plating off the metal.

0000-grade steel wool works too, but you have to be insanely meticulous to ensure no little metal fibers remain on the plugs. If they get into a jack it can make you even more insane.

Laxy picker likes this.
  4. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Deoxit, blue Scotchbright pads, and bronze wool are my go to cleaning supplies

Laxy picker and johnnylaw like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.