Hollow body LP? Solid Body LP? Dunno, both I guess

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Muzikp, Apr 15, 2015.

1. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite kind of guitar :cool:.Wasn't well known but Aria made one back in the day and I ALMOST bought.Got an Aria Les Paul clone instead.Was killer on the Bread song leads I got it for but always regret not following my heart, they built VERY good in those days

2. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

You know, on second thought. I'm pretty sure it's only worth about $7. I'll give you $14 and cover shipping.

3. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

And I probably won't steam it all apart either.

4. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

There is no sign of any kerfing so I assume machined out but the belly is arched beautifully and drums well .My Gibson Midtown ,also gouged out but with a centre block is much duller.Top maybe two ply or just even one ply .Difficult to tell .As I dont have any problems with it I havnt bothered taking it apart .Its beautifully made .Not a single fault anywhere .Maybe I got the demo model sent to get some sales in before production values dropped. Keiper are known to be patchy quality wise and just a cheap to Germany import .I only paid 60 quid for it .Its loud to play unplugged a real acoustic vibe to it .I was surprised how good it is .No idea where it was made .Like any hollow body it feeds back like when cranked up but plays hottish blues well and its perfect for warm finger style jazzy stuff.Naturally it suffers from its small size so hasnt got the acoustic depth of a huge hollow body buts good enough ,I will try to post some more pics.Its certainly a reminder of just how good Asian woodwork can bes.,often it gets lost in the hardware spec

5. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Time to get this neck done. I made a new spacer between the body and fretboard, the old one was awful.

[​IMG]

The sides of it are tapered to match the heel of the neck.

[​IMG]

And it's wedged shaped for a perfect fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing the wedge shape here, still need to trim down to perfect size.

[​IMG]

Then glue it on

[​IMG]

With that done it's time to fix the headstock. Got the neck clamped safely in the vice so I can pry the crack open and inject glue.

[​IMG]

Thin down some glue to put in the syringe

[​IMG]

Poured the thinned glue in and pointed it straight up and tapped it while pushing the plunger to get the air out like TV Dr's do. The plunger was hung up on something and not going in well, and when I put enough pressure on it to finally go in it went all at once and shot glue everywhere.

[​IMG]

I got really lucky with that since I had a body and a neck not far away getting clear coat applied, you can see the neck in the background. One of the glue blobs missed the neck by a few inches. This was all the glue left in the syringe after the eruption

[​IMG]

That must have rattled me enough to stop taking pics but the glue is all squeezed into the cracks and it's clamped up to dry.

Barncaster likes this.
  6. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Then I started sanding the clear coats off this strat body so I could put more on. I'm sorta grain filling with lacquer here. This body has no color or tint on it, it's all natural. I tried to grain fill it a few times with a matching color grain fill but it never looked good enough to me. So I stripped it all off and I'm trying to fill the grain with lacquer. You can see the pores in the wood below the jack hole area. Not sure how well it's going yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I'd say I'm not having a perfect day in the shop, some days I should just go do something else I think. I ordered new water slide decal paper off Amazon and I'm really having trouble with it.

I started by spraying a mist coat over the printed decal to seal the ink just like the instructions say and all the other water slide paper I've ever had. I let that dry and cut out the decal, all good so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soak it in the water

[​IMG]

And end up with this... about 5 times I ended up with this.

[​IMG]

What I've noticed is this decal paper is way thinner than any other I've used, which will be great when I go to bury it in clear but, the lacquer seems to melt the thin paper and it just isn't use-able. So I printed a new sheet and sprayed a very light coat of poly over the decals. I know lacquer over poly is a no no but if I carefully mist the lacquer on I might get it to work. So far so good, this is after 3 light mist coats of lacquer

[​IMG]

R. Stratenstein and Barncaster like this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Solid, if you want to deaden something put encapsulated air in it.

9. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

metal and an aluminum telecaster body soon.... some people consider aluminum to be metal. Did you perhaps mean metal and Anthracite or metal and Aardvark or maybe Mollusk and Aluminum?

10. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Good catch, I meant a mild steel body and and an aluminum body, so two I guess.

11. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Hmmm, I'm sure I'll take that to heart as soon as I figure out what you are talking about :D

guitarbuilder likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

hah! Thread title. Seems to have little to do with thread though!

13. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

I have encapsulated air in me.....

14. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

With the headstock back to solid I can start on the finish repair. I'm only repairing the finish where your hand would touch the back of the neck and I'll do my best to blend it in to the old. Keeping the cool patina as much as I can. Did I mention black is the hardest color ever to match.

Started by sanding some really deep gouges in the finish out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is my first color test to see how the match is when it dries. Not too worried if it doesn't match perfect at this point, this is just a filler coat that will get sanded a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

R. Stratenstein and Barncaster like this.
  15. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Apparently that makes you deadened (just made that word up I think).

16. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

17. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

don't forget to put rf shielding in the cavities, no wait that's probably overkill. Ovation used to build the bottom of the line guitars with solid aluminum necks - the idea was when the frets wore down you just replace the neck. If you can find one of those necks and refret it with stainless steel it would last forever.

here's some info on the aluminum necks, they used some on acoustic and some on solid body electrics

http://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/2009/11/ovation-kaman-corporation-aluminum-neck.html

the nice thing is no truss rod ever needed...

18. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, it will definitely deaden anything standing behind me......

Muzikp likes this.
  19. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

With the coats of paint going on the necks and getting sanded off I can tackle the last issue before reassembly. The jack hole is whack! Multiple cracks all the way thru and pretty long cracks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to make a backing piece to glue inside to tie all the cracks together and reinforce this area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to thin it down and check that the tone pot would still fit, what a disaster that would be if it didn't fit :eek:

[​IMG]

The final shape

[​IMG]

Recess the jack inside

[​IMG]

That's just long enough to get the nut on after it's glued in. Might switch to a longer jack so I can use a Les Paul style plate on the outside of the body, not sure yet.

[​IMG]

Inside looks like this

[​IMG]

I use tubing to pull it thru the guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glue

[​IMG]

Pull it thru, screw it down to clamp against the side. I'll let it sit upright overnight in case any glue wants to drip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I can fill the cracks and touch up the black and should start to reassemble this thing soon.

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Easy there, fella ! :D

Barncaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.