Eventually I got everything disassembled and it was time for the serious demolition. I stared and thought for a while about how I wanted to get this neck out. Typically, I pull the 14th fret and drill a very small hole in the fret slot and insert a ball needle and pump steam into the neck joint. I decided I didn’t want to do that on this neck, mostly because much of the neck was already loose in the joint and it was glued to the top more than anything else. So I decided to heat the part of the neck that was glued to the top and see where that got me. Got me right here But I needed to get the bottom of the heel out cleanly and that was the part I steamed out. That piece was a clean break and a simple fix to glue right back on And I saved these pieces of the tenon that were split off and sitting in the bottom of the dovetail joint. I’m not sure yet if I’ll use them and glue them back on (probably not). While the neck glue setup I cleaned up the dovetail joint in the body. I’m pretty sure this thing has a poplar neck block in it which sorta surprised me. At this point I was starting to wonder if this neck had been repaired before. Here are a few shots of the heel with a mess of old glue and split dovetail. What I found strange was the wood glued to the fretboard looked like it had been hogged out and a new tenon had been glued in Then I noticed this gap between the dovetail tenon and the board on the fretboard and I realized it was a separate piece. There is a slice of wood glued to the fretboard that is not part of the heel or the tenon.