Hollow body LP? Solid Body LP? Dunno, both I guess

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Muzikp, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Eventually I got everything disassembled and it was time for the serious demolition. I stared and thought for a while about how I wanted to get this neck out. Typically, I pull the 14th fret and drill a very small hole in the fret slot and insert a ball needle and pump steam into the neck joint. I decided I didn’t want to do that on this neck, mostly because much of the neck was already loose in the joint and it was glued to the top more than anything else. So I decided to heat the part of the neck that was glued to the top and see where that got me.

[​IMG]

Got me right here
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I needed to get the bottom of the heel out cleanly and that was the part I steamed out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That piece was a clean break and a simple fix to glue right back on
    [​IMG]

And I saved these pieces of the tenon that were split off and sitting in the bottom of the dovetail joint. I’m not sure yet if I’ll use them and glue them back on (probably not).
    [​IMG]

While the neck glue setup I cleaned up the dovetail joint in the body. I’m pretty sure this thing has a poplar neck block in it which sorta surprised me. At this point I was starting to wonder if this neck had been repaired before.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few shots of the heel with a mess of old glue and split dovetail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I found strange was the wood glued to the fretboard looked like it had been hogged out and a new tenon had been glued in
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I noticed this gap between the dovetail tenon and the board on the fretboard and I realized it was a separate piece. There is a slice of wood glued to the fretboard that is not part of the heel or the tenon.
    [​IMG]

Barncaster likes this.
  2. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I didn’t like the mess of it all so
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I’m left with this mess to try and figure out how to make a new dovetail out of.
    [​IMG]

I haven’t thought that thru yet but I’m confident whatever I come up with will be WAYYY better than the job that was done the last time this neck was reset.

Oh, and a bit of the binding was coming off so I hit it with some acetone and taped it down to set.
    [​IMG]

guitarbuilder, Barncaster and Jupiter like this.
  3. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

The sales guy, (Les Yeknom or something), said with the headstock all floppy on the end of the neck like that would give a nice vibrato effect and that I could lock it out with those special structural truss rod cover screws. What do you think?

4. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Lol, I think I love marketing guys. Where do I get one?

boredguy6060 likes this.
  5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Nice work, James.

On that dovetail, I'd be temped to saw it completely off. I'd secure the broken part of the heel with a dowel or 2, then glue another piece of wood where the dovetail was. Since you're dealing with end grain there, I'd probably use a couple more dowels into the face to make sure it was all secure.

Muzikp likes this.
  6. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Rog, thanks for the input. I think I formulated my plan but I don't possess a strong enough command of the english language to describe it. Pictures later.

RogerC likes this.
  7. Barncaster

It must be sheer brilliance then. Words do no suffice.

mrz80 likes this.
  8. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Sheer brilliance... Hmmm. Probably more like Yeknom in a sheer two piece... errr. Wait.

I learned today that a Dunlop pick is an exact fit for the bottom of a Harmony dovetail joint, so there's that anyway.

[​IMG]

You can see the green color in the neck pocket which is what makes me think it's poplar. The lighter color at the top is just a veneer or shim someone glued in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No dovetail router bit that I own matches the dovetail in this guitar, actually the ONE that I own doesn't match. So I get to use this cool thing that I learned in 3rd grade.

[​IMG]

It fits in there really snug and no wiggle. There will always be a gap on the front edge because the sides are sanded at a 45 along the dovetail. Wish I could make it look more perfect but...

[​IMG]

You can see from the top it's a nice fit, might be too nice and not enough room for glue.

[​IMG]

Set that aside for now and shape the mess of a dovetail on the neck into a new neck joint, very close here but still needs some tweaking. And I'm pretty sure this is a poplar neck. It has the green tint and has a poplary feel to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's it for now. Next I need to make a slot in the new dovetail piece in the body that matches the new joint on the neck. You can probably see where this is all going.

Discuss.

9. Barncaster

I’ve never felt poplar in my whole life.

And Yeknom in a sheer two piece...... Oi! Think of the children man!

10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Poplar also has a distinctive smell when cut. Nice work, James. Here I was thinking Bondo!:eek::eek:

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

So do I understand correctly that it’ll be a straight mortise and tenon instead of a dovetail?

12. Barncaster

Or a two piece dovetail? Lots of alternative cat skinning here.

13. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

He is laminating the new dovetail to the neck and with Titebond it will BECOME the neck.No fuss no muss ;)

14. Barncaster

Hmmmm, yes, one with the neck it will be.

15. Jupiter

I...don’t get it.

16. Barncaster

Have a beverage Jup!

R. Stratenstein likes this.
  17. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

:p

18. Jupiter

Fine, I’ll wait and see. :p

R. Stratenstein likes this.
  19. mrz80

mrz80 Tele-Meister

I wasn't clear. Is that an archtop, or is it a flattop-masquerading-as-an-archtop-because-it's-cheaper-to-produce kind of thing? I've seen a couple of Yamahas along those lines and thought they were probably cool enough to try to duplicate in the garage.

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The original dovetail, that was milled as part of the neck’ heel, became diseased, and was amputated flush with the heel. In its place, James has fashioned a new prosthetic dovetail, sized to fit the original dovetail pocket, that will be glued to the same spot where the dovetail was sawn off.

This is almost as good as what I would have done, which is to run a half-dozen 3 inch drywall screws through the heel from the outside, so you don’t poke your hands on the sharp points, unless you go poking around inside.

Hippieway likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.