1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hollow body LP? Solid Body LP? Dunno, both I guess

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Muzikp, Apr 15, 2015.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:confused: How do that work? Looks like you got holes for the hums but not the buckers. . . . .

2. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Wow! You must be one a them tortured artist types. :)mrgreen:)

3. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Or........ Single RC neck pickup with V & T wheels under pickguard. Sing it with me..... I did it myyyyyy waaaaay!

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Too late to vote on the f-hole question? If not then I would say no f-hole as choice 1, or an f-hole either side as choice 2.
    This build is really making me think about something similar - I wonder what it would be like if you had an arched back like the top? Though we couldn't admire you slice cutting that way.
    Loving how this is coming together. Are you comfortable in your thinking that there is no risk of neck dive?

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. R. Stratenstein

Since you're Scottish, the half of your vote that agrees with mine--2 F holes--will be allowed. The other part of your vote, and all of Brainy's, is disallowed. Sorry, but that's the rules.:D

Man, you guys sure get up early over there!

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

Rick you might want to check out Dazzaman's accent

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

Bit late to the party but just read through it all and I'm well impressed James.

Dare I say that I'm with brainy (kinda), go for your own hole design since its impact won't be overly important regarding the acoustic sound as it's an electric after all.

8. Barncaster

Or possibly completely stealth with no F holes and a standard access plate on the back. Lack of F holes should preclude any feedback issues at stage volume. Then again, what do I know?

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

I thought racism wasn't allowed on here?

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

I love feedback, unfortunately the sound guy has me keep my stage volume so low it's hard for me to get it to feedback. Remember you didn't wax pot the pups in my LP Rob so it would feedback better :D. It's still too hard to get feedback, on the sets where I really want it I set my amp really close to me so I can turn the guitar right at it.

Anyway after much thought and contemplation I'm pretty certain there will be no f'ing holes... errrr f-holes or any other letter holes. No access on the back either. F-holes and rear access takes all the challenge out of it :D.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Don't get your kilt all hiked up now :D.

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Ok this was interesting. I thought I was going to have to make all new templates to route out the inside of the top. But after drawing all the contour lines on the underneath I realized I could just use the templates I had since each pass was about the width of a large router bit.

So here it is with all the art work done.

[​IMG]

Attach the first template upside down. These alignment holes are really paying off.

[​IMG]

Make a pass with the router. Yes it was a little scary, must have checked the depth 7.3 times.

[​IMG]

Then I kept using the next smaller size template to get all the ridges done. Got excited about my progress and the ease I was having making progress and stopped taking pictures :(.

But I'm getting really close now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to go weigh it, it feels ultra light.

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. twocup

twocup Tele-Meister

"Anyway after much thought and contemplation I'm pretty certain there will be no f'ing holes... errrr f-holes or any other letter holes."
    Don't get Brainy going...
    "Yes it was a little scary, must have checked the depth 7.3 times."
    I would be sweating bullets! Turned out really nice.
    Tim

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

Well that's gettin close to final, it's not perfect but it's not bad either.

[​IMG]

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's

Great job James!!!

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

I have to congratulate you on your approach James. What thickness did you end up with?

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. Barncaster

James,
    I was thinking about pup form factors. A rodded P90 form factor might be the easiest translate the RC into. Translation: you might want to hold off on routing pickup routes for a bit. Evaluation of the RC Tele neck should happen today.
    Rob

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. R. Stratenstein

Oi! And I've seen that video before. You got me, Mac, I was taken in by the old expat ploy! Well, anyway it's now inconsequential, as, much to the pleasure of most, and no doubt especially Brainy, James has apparently and unaccountably chosen the path opposite of my preference (as usual whenever I express a preference in a thread), :( so I guess I'll just go sulk for a while, maybe mow the lawn without sunscreen or go cut my own F-ing holes in something.

Impressive back carve James, and I admire your nerve, even if I think you're missing out big time on the effole. :D it'll probably look OK, anyhow.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

James,

On the feedback issue. I have a Tele with Filtertrons that is constructed in a very similar fashion as this LP (without carved top). It does not have f-holes and it is no more prone to feedback than any solid body.

I have a 59 Gibson ES 225 TD that howls like a banshee when the gain is applied.:twisted: It is completely hollow though. You just got to keep playing to keep the banshee at bay, and oh what a sound when you do. My favorite electric guitar tone ever…….old p90's in a hollow body. That guitar through a vintage Marshall is like the Voice of God.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Born in Australia, lived there until I was 20, lived in England a couple of years, and Scotland for the last 28. I have no idea what that does to any TDPRI vote I might have...

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.