HOLIDAY HOOCH - What's your favorite liquor to give or get?

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
D250A453-ECEC-4277-96EA-22FA54957894.png
This.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
Any good single malt scotch works for me, though I am most partial to Macallan, Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Bowmore and Springbank.

And Talisker on a cold stormy night.

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
drank this weekend and it's decent but that much for a blended whiskey is just highway robbery. you can get an excellent single malt for that money.

I wouldn't know, I'm not much a whiskey drinker. Hibiki is one of the only whiskeys I've tried that I really like.

middy

Friend of Leo's
Rye or Scotch. Keep that corn away from my whiskey.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I make Coquito. We keep a 1.75L bottle for ourselves and have given out 10-12 bottles (1L) in the past. This year we’ll probably do 5-6 bottles. Too many friends have moved or died.
This Christmas will be melancholy. It’s just what is is. Next Christmas is planned to be better. That’s my hope/wish

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
upload_2021-12-13_21-26-28.jpeg

It's chocolate milk for adults. add a 1/2 oz of heavy cream and 1/2 oz of Kahlua to a shot of this stuff. grate fresh nutmeg on top. Holiday dessert in a glass.

TeleTucson

Friend of Leo's
I'm partial to Bailey's or other Irish Cream
- I have an unopened bottle of Royal Rhino ' South African' Cream from a buddy that brought me back a bottle, from a Summer/Wedding visit

( his son does shark research there!)

These cream liqueur products do not age well. Trust me on this. Drink it before it becomes a congealed and undrinkable mess. :)

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I'm not too picky. As long as it's in a glass bottle and 80 proof or better, I'll be good with it! ;)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
These cream liqueur products do not age well. Trust me on this. Drink it before it becomes a congealed and undrinkable mess. :)

Not kidding,
but I've been drinking ( sipping) Bailey's ( and other) Irish Creams for maybe 30 years- and some bottles ( refrigerated as soon as opened) lasted me as long as 1.5 years in the fridge- no curdling, separation, or change in taste. Honest

TeleTucson

Friend of Leo's
Not kidding,
but I've been drinking ( sipping) Bailey's ( and other) Irish Creams for maybe 30 years- and some bottles ( refrigerated as soon as opened) lasted me as long as 1.5 years in the fridge- no curdling, separation, or change in taste. Honest

OK, I can certainly believe that. A year and a half refrigerated is nothing, but I was thinking you might be saving it like wines that can age for 30 years, or whisky that (once out of the barrel) doesn't change much at all. I thought you were stowing this away for posterity on that kind of timescale.

I've had cream liqueurs that turned to gummy jelly fragments in the bottle. I also once had a colleague who is quite famous try to celebrate something special with me using a bottle of wine he'd saved for decades un-cellared that had gone way, WAY, past its prime. It was really embarrassing because he didn't acknowledge that it was a fiasco, and expected me to agree that it was an awesome taste experience when it was, in fact, undrinkable.

But, in the spirit of cream liqueurs, the treat I like to serve for Christmas and New Years is a 2:1 mix of egg nog to brandy. What's not to like? :D

Last edited:

mountainhick

Tele-Meister
So many single malts, tequilas and mezcals.

But i can't drink a thing anymore. Liver's not doing well as fallout from complications of cancer. I don't even take a mouthful of wine or beer any more.

Enjoy it while you can!

green_henry

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Bourbon and Port -- this thread has good taste (pun intended). I normally only drink beer (IPAs mostly), but bourbons and ports are always a nice treat.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's

i will graciously accept your offering, Mr. Natural. Thank you.

Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorite things in life. During the Covid lockdown, I had a bottle shipped a few states away to a high school buddy who loves bourbon. He hated it. So I learned my lesson and now give Balvenie DoubleWood 12 to bourbon drinkers whom I'm trying to win over. But I loves me a peated scotch.

Last edited: