Hole on the Wall

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by P Thought, Sep 26, 2021.

1. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

IMG_20210926_154541356.jpg
    There's a bare spot on the wall.

I'll remember it fondly, but since I retired and brought it home from where I'd kept it at school I have hardly played my "lawsuit" Takamine F-400S 12-string. The guy who bought it has an F-360S; that will pair nicely with it. I think the deal was a good one for both of us.

Mrs.Thought went along, and after I met the buyer, who drove up from Brookings, at the Bandon boat basin for the exchange, we had fish tacos on the boardwalk. It was warm and sunny, a really nice outing.

I'd like to pare my collection down further. I'm not really a 12-string guy, so letting this one go is a good starting point. Now the choices will be harder, but today was good for practice.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Archtops, ping-ping-clicka and drf64 like this.
  2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have five six with a bass. I actually want two more but don’t play enough and should actually pair a couple down.

P Thought likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I have also been thinking about thinning the herd, in fact it was top priority last year.... Most of my commercially made guitars will go, I only play the home made ones and my heirs can deal with them after I'm gone.

P Thought likes this.
  4. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

that's a very nice post, is it tinged with a slight amount of sadness? Oh the fish taco part with your better half was reassuring us that you were, o.k. despite the loss. I thought that there is a bit of empty nest syndrome or sending your youngest and sweetest off to college
    never mind me , I get carried away when I read touching posts. I like the photo art.
    images (2).jpg

P Thought likes this.
  5. P Thought

Oh, okay, here's a picture of the 12-string, out camping with us a couple-three years ago:

F400-S camping.jpg

Sadly that campground, which our family used every August for 34 (I think) annual reunions, burned beyond salvage in one of last year's big fires.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

:( sad, but hey remember when our girl Mount Saint Helens Blew her top? remember all the blown away trees and ravaged flora and fauna?
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz st helens.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhell en back.jpg

7. P Thought

I do remember that. I was up EUgene at the time, at a week's training for a cool job I had. It covered the place with ash. I guess Portland was a real mess. It looks pretty nice in those pictures, though.

I have a plan, well something to try anyway. I put together a classified ad for our local newspaper, listing my Delta Blues amp. If I get close to the asking price I'll have enough money (with the money from the 12-string, which I have tucked away) for a new Blues Deluxe at the local mom 'n' pop. Then I'll sell the twin, have things a bit consolidated, and money left over.

On guitars, I think I might be stalled out already. I really like each of the guitars I have now, and each one gets a turn from time to time. They were all hard to find. All my electrics are homebuilts, and my love for them is motherly.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    ping-ping-clicka and Archtops like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A touching story @P Thought . My reduction was kind of similar. I sold my best built electric guitar. It was a 1982 Yamaha SG. It took me through my Santana years and was gorgeous, I just stopped playing it and once I decided to thin the herd, it was the obvious one to let go first. I don’t regret it, but lots of fond memories with that guitar. A touch of sadness once in awhile as I reminisce, but with a wife and her bass guitars in our modest home, it was the right thing to do.

Archtops and P Thought like this.
  9. ping-ping-clicka

a man with a plan..... o.k. It only seems reasonable that you have motherly feelings for home built guitars.
    I wonder ,how did you come to land on a Blues Deluxe?
    I have really been ignoring amps for a long long time so what do I know from amps?

I am blessed with the curse of fierce individualism and operate on the assumption
    " If it's worth doing , it's worth doing alone , why screw it up with other people ( there is a notable exception to this is has some flex built into it.) so this precludes me from using "REALLY AMPLIFIERS"
    and I hear the Greek Chorus wailing from both the left and right of the stage, But it doesn't sound the same".
    to which I say, "well you eat Canned Rattlesnake pause and call it a delicacy and from the same mouth you say that "it tastes of chicken" to which I say " Leave the snakes be and just buy chicken!

0000000000000000cool cat.jpg

P Thought likes this.
  10. P Thought

I like to buy from the popshop when I can. I'm pretty happy with my amps the way they're set, but the "5e3 thing" has drip-tortured me into thinking maybe that's the horse I want to ride off into the sunset. The Blues Deluxe Reissue is the one in that line that he has on the floor right now. New, 5-year warranty, lots of tubes, sounds good to my ear, even with me playing. . . .

On the other hand, there's no reason the horse I'm riding now, the C-50 twin, won't take me into the darkness. It's a good old amplifier. I do think that if I consult long enough with everybody here that some answer will come to me. Edit: a little online research suggests that I might do a little more research. That Blues Deluxe in the store sounds nice to me, but maybe it's not very close specwise to a Deluxe Reverb, which is almost twice the price. . . .

Back (in a way) to the original topic: here's the top-line Tak 12-string now (IMO).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

I’m down to three acoustic guitars and one electric.
    I’ve owned a bunch over the years, but my max at one time was around a dozen.
    I can’t tell you why I like only having a few, but I feel good when I think about it.

But hey, full disclosure…I’m starting to fantasize about a Martin with the number 18 somewhere in its description.

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.