1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hold onto your plywood

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by effzee, Apr 23, 2021.

1. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It might be the next Bitcoin

IMG-20210423-WA0002_edit_15678896427294.jpg

2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

:lol::lol::lol:

effzee likes this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aint that the truth!

effzee likes this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My Taylor214 CE is a composite of pressed Rosewood- Plywood- Rosewood.

Wood is generally hard to come by. Builders here in Oz have paid $3,000 per container for Pine for house frames. That is now $9,000+ . Steel frames are used more often and wood is hard to get in Australia ( by the ton i.e.).

effzee and Steve Holt like this.
  5. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I know quite a few ppl here in Bavaria who own a few hectares of forest, usually passed down through generations. A couple of them sell firewood as a side business. Right now, they're actually selling to sales agents who are exporting the wood to the USA. That's really bizarre. No one understands how it could possibly be cost effective for the US to import wood from Germany. It's a topsy turvy world at the moment.

halfdan likes this.
  6. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

I gottta few brand new sheets of 3/4" severe weather max if anyone has a nice LP or 335 they'd like to trade plus some cash on their end. LOL

KyAnne and effzee like this.
  7. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Purchased 1 Sheet 2 days ago 5/8" cdx 65.00. Insanity?
    2x4" DF 9.20 each.

VonBonfire and effzee like this.
  8. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

Yeah that is beyond nuts.

Strangely at my area Lowes where I have blown probably 50k+ in the last five years while constructing has 2x6's for not much more than I was paying on the previous high end prices. But plywood and OSB is just sky high. Last batch I bought early in 2020 for a porch roof I built I paid $34 a sheet for actual 1/2" plywood and I thought that was absolutely nuts as previously i had been paying 18-22 bucks per sheet. I thought $22 was high. I should have bought stacks of the stuff and covered it on slats in the yard I could've made bank.....

effzee likes this.
  9. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

Are we running out of trees, lumberjacks or sawmills?

10. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

German wood has the best tone for framing houses.

Mark617, Oldsmobum, OldDude2 and 2 others like this.
  11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hmmm. Soon, "Flipping" a house will mean buying an old 'fixer upper' frame house, stripping it down and selling the wood. Vintage wood, vintage nails, etc.

Ca-Ching!

12. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

If they pull the plywood from the bottom of a lake does it add a premium to the price? I wonder what 5/8" "Sinker" ply would go for?

effzee and VonBonfire like this.
  13. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

Word is around here that new build construction projects have stopped pre-selling due to nobody knowing what materials are going to cost.

The way I heard it, when things were first shut down a year ago, lumber mills closed, thinking that demand will drop. The opposite happened and not only are they scrambling to catch up, there's a limit to how much that can be harvested in a year.

Many are asking what is going on, since wood has jumped in price yet you pull up to any lumber yard and there doesn't seem to be a shortage.

I am lucky. I decided to repurpose some plywood and have salvaged some 2x4s from a few renovation jobs. I have a shed full of wood that my wife was hinting we should clean out.

effzee and VonBonfire like this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I think I saw sheathing and underlayment, priced higher than birch ply at Lowes last week...anybody know much about the new Super-ply? looks like strips or threads of Poplar lined up and glued together? Talking about for cab material. Supposed to be stainable and paintable.

effzee likes this.
  15. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

3 months ago, I bought an Alder board to test shellac mixes. Went to get another last night amd the price has jumped from $12 to $25 :eek:

16. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

That’s not as far fetched as it may seem. This Old House did something fairly similar on a recent project when they discovered some old lumber during demolition. They aired a whole segment about how you can’t get straight grained lumber like that anymore, and it was worth it to them to do tons of extra work in order to reuse the wood on their project. So buying flip houses and reselling the “vintage wood framing” is quite plausibly on the horizon. It’s probably already happening.

trapdoor2 likes this.
  17. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've been through several plywood forests in Canada.

They're really narrow.

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That has been going on for years, especially in big cities as old factories and other large wood-frame buildings are demolished to be replaced by high-dollar housing/shopping construction. Those salvaged timbers go for big money.

Carmine Street Guitars in NYC uses pine from these old buildings to make Telecaster copies.

effzee, trapdoor2 and scook like this.
  19. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's sort of why I wrote that. Pretty common to start stripping out suddenly expensive components for resale. When the copper market spiked in the late 80s, thieves were stripping homes under construction of copper wiring. The new-build house we bought in 1988 had been stripped while it was under construction (they hit the whole subdivision) and had to be re-wired.

There are large numbers of vacant houses all over the country. Whole ghost towns, etc. When the price of lumber gets high enough, they won't be bulldozed, they'll be taken apart and "recycled" for profit.

I have a banjo built out of reclaimed maple flooring from an 1800s cotton mill up in MA. It is seriously heavy...15lbs+

I'm good on solid woods (maple, mahog, walnut) but I have several plywood projects that are going to be a problem if the prices don't come back down. I gotta make storage cabinets for the Garage-Mahal...today, the plywood alone for that project would be like buying a Caddy. I think I'll wait until the lumber market recovers...if it ever does.

20. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Isn’t this basically the story of Kirchen’s Tele?

effzee and Peegoo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.