1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hold music

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RollingBender, Nov 14, 2020.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Years ago, I was working as a Purchasing Agent for a national company in the food business. One vendor that I called on a weekly basis had a customer service agent I worked with who just acted like a major B with a capital “B”...just rude and nasty.

One day, I dialed Ms B’s number and was greeted by her saying, “This is XYZ company, please hold for a moment”, and then she switched me over to some very lame elevator Muzak. After only a minute or so on hold, she came back on the line and said, “Sorry for the wait”. I said, “You should be. That was the worst hold music I have ever heard.”

I heard her laugh for the first time ever and after that exchange, it was always a pleasure to deal with Ms B.

Lenny1716 and ThermionicScott like this.
  2. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Ok, so I sense you want us to guess what it was.

... "My Pal Foot Foot" covered by Mantovani Orchestra?

P-Nutz likes this.
  3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Is it the one with the bridge that goes "Please continue to hold. Your patronage is very important to us".

P-Nutz and Dereksys38 like this.
  4. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Yes. And the rest sounded like Danny Davis and the Nashville Brass covering “Dancing Queen”.

telleutelleme likes this.
  5. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

P-Nutz likes this.
  6. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

A colleague and I were asked to provide background music during the cocktail hour at a company event once (four score and seven years before Covid, or so it seems). As a joke, we played a version of our company’s hold music as one of our songs in the “setlist”. One of our other colleagues came up to us afterwards and said that he started feeling annoyed part way through the cocktail hour and realized it was our cover of the hold music that was triggering him. :lol:

Ironically, I got one of the few compliments ever about my playing music from my partner (who was there in attendance), as she is generally not super keen on my type of music. She said we sounded less synthetic than the actual hold music and should have recorded our version and sent it to the company to use instead.

BigBillow likes this.
  7. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

usually its just awful midi loops on repeat....but a a week or so ago, I called a customer service line...it was like random piano notes. As if Yoko Ono got eaten by an answering machine. Almost to the point that I thought, 'are they just trying to make horrible tones to keep our attention so we don't hang-up?'

I literally hoped its the later, and that someone didn't think it sounded good. It was bad to the point that I continued to think of it. Like commercials that don't make any sense (at first glance).

srblue5 likes this.
  8. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Here’s what gets me with most hold music. It sounds like it’s being played full volume through earbuds taped to a satellite phone that’s broadcasting it to the ISS, where it is played over the loudspeaker and then recaptured on a dictaphone that plays it back through an 8-bit a/d converter, whence it is then broadcast back to Wisconsin where it is piped via sound powered phone system to points throughout the US.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    srblue5 likes this.
  9. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

There was a Fred Armisen stand up video where he was talking about hotel lobby music and said something to the effect of, “You know, there’s somebody out there who actually comes up with this music.”

I feel sorry for the people who write and record hold music. Imagine creating music that bores/annoys the daylights out of people. Then again, maybe it pays well? I can’t imagine someone listening to hold music and thinking, “Man, that’s a tasty lick there!”

My local pharmacy plays some of the worst hold music. Sounds like what you’d hear in a Sears commercial in the late ‘70s.

10. BigBillow

Never under-estimate bad taste! I think about it every time I hear hold music. I swear some of these people probably think they're making a 'dope beat'.

It was the weird 8-bit Avant-garde midi loop that took me to a new level of WTF.

11. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

That is true. And for what it’s worth, I did submit a composition to my band a while back that was rejected for sounding like hotel lobby music. I just thought it was a solid Stuff/George Benson-esque groove.

12. BigBillow

Get a grip man...you may never be able to properly say "welcome to Bell Atlantic" - but I'm sure your tunes are better than hold music! :)

srblue5 likes this.
  13. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Should I worry that you know the beautiful music of Mantovani and the Nashville Brass?

14. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

15. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.