1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Wow, that is a beautiful guitar Lee! Nice to see the collection is still growing though you are carefully pruning some. Neat to know that Morris like that Hohner are identical. I have seen some Morris guitars while searching Hohners and they seem very nice. That first photo with the Morris stamp and the Hohner proves it all. The shape of the HG-360 with the sound hole I always found fascinating. Is it the mahogany or rosewood body?

2. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Hi Bill,

The top is solid spruce, neck is mahogany, back and sides are laminated rosewood. The HG-360M has maple sides and back.

Lee

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

4. leftcoastarborist

Many of you are too young to remember, but some of us recall the centennial. 20201208_121755.jpg

Rockin Gramps and envirodat like this.
  5. LGOberean

Lee, I remember the centennial very well. In fact, my son was born just two weeks before the nation's 200th birthday.

I also definitely remember ads in Guitar Player magazine for that very guitar with that very case. They were usually in black & white, so it's a treat to see that historic guitar and case in color.

6. LGOberean

I was just writing a comment to post here. When I was ready to paste the text of what I'd written here (I often compose my writings in Microsoft Word, then paste them here on TDPRI), I noticed your post and commented on that first. Now I'll paste/post what I've been working on.

I did a gig on Saturday afternoon. I posted a thread about it over in the Bad Dog Café. Since none of my Hohners are equipped with electronics, I don’t/didn’t gig with them. I had practiced/rehearsed on my two go-to gigging axes, my Logan Custom Firecaster II tele and my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele-style.

As it turned out, I only used the acoustic/electric for this gig. But getting ready for the gig, for the most part I only played the two I was expecting to use. Consequently, I didn’t want to play my Hohner HG-14, because I didn’t want to get too accustomed to playing that wide classical neck and then have to switch to a tele width for gigging purposes

I didn’t play at all on Sunday. I don’t usually take a day off from playing guitar, but the outdoor venue I played Saturday was cold and windy, and actually resulted in this weird thing where a layer of skin was rubbed off by the cold phosphor bronze steel strings. (I posted a thread about that, too.)

But yesterday and today, I pretty much stuck with just the HG-14. And it is a process of getting my fingers reacquainted with those reaches. But it’s also a lot of fun. I’m playing songs from my performance repertoire, trying to figure out which ones would work well on nylon strings.

Definitely Kerry Livgren’s “Dust in the Wind.” And also an instrumental medley of “I’ll See You in My Dreams,” “Freight Train,” “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right” and “Early Morning Rain.” Also an instrumental arrangement of the hymn “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.” And I’ve toyed around with some Christmas hymns/carols.

Not gearing up for another gig, just having fun.

7. leftcoastarborist

Larry, page 43 has an old post where I tried to replicate those ads. I am posting those pictures again. 46236C53-0C66-4A29-905E-997EF8D43949.jpeg 2594D3EB-3DA6-4726-994A-C25C358E1638.jpeg 165098C6-88E2-4176-B1AA-36B198E9D94D.jpeg

LGOberean likes this.
  8. LGOberean

Yup, I remember both those ads. And in your pic, is that my HG-14 next to the HG-07?

9. leftcoastarborist

Not sure Larry. I had a Korean one and yours at the time. You might enlarge the picture and be able to tell because the rosette was slightly different as I recall.

10. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

That is cool to see the whole ensemble. The case, the shirt, the guitar strap. That was a nice find.

11. leftcoastarborist

The shirt was off eBay. The rest came from Salvation Army resale store. The guitar, strap and case are like new. Not real high quality but certainly worth the $75.00. I like the 000 auditorium size and the tone is not too bad. Not like the 300, 700 and 900 series though.

12. LGOberean

Duplicate post. :eek: Dunno how that happened...:rolleyes::oops:

EDIT (again):
    What the heck?!? :eek::confused:o_O

I posted my comment, and then for some reason it showed up twice. So I edited (this) one to inform about the duplicate post, and now I can't find the other one! :(

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  13. LGOberean

I've refreshed the page, left the thread altogether and came back again, and my post as I wrote it is nowhere to be found, while the one that I edited to be the notification/acknowledgement of the duplicate remains. It's times like this that I really feel like a doofus, technologically speaking. So I guess I've lost what I wrote originally, and need to try again.

I'm having fun with my Hohner HG-14 this season. I'm one of those people that enjoys and doesn't (easily) get tired of Christmas hymns, carols and songs in the season. So I've been playing a lot of such fare on my HG-14 classical.

You know those videos of instrumental Christmas guitar that are one, two, three, eight :eek: hours long? Yeah, well think that, albeit shorter in length, and not as quality in terms of playing/recording. I haven't made any such videos of my own (yet?); I'm just having fun coming up with Christmas arrangements on this classical. I also play and sing some Christmas fare, but I tend to do that on either my 905, 940 or one of my teles.

Some of the things I'm doing are:

an instrumental medley of traditional English (British) Christmas songs, "Christmas Is Coming (the Goose Is Getting Fat)"/"Good King Wenceslas";
    "What Child Is This?";
    "Silent Night," which is done either as an instrumental on the HG-14, or playing and singing it in five languages (original German, Greek, Italian, Spanish & English);
    "I'll Be Home for Christmas" (again, either as an instrumental or singing it as well);
    "Carol of the Drum" (sung, and played by tapping technique on the 905);
    etc.

Anyone else getting into the season with their Hohners?

envirodat and leftcoastarborist like this.
  14. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Those all sound like good songs! I am learning "Silent Night" on the HG-25. I found an acoustic guitar version too for the HG-300. I guess it makes me a one song person for Christmas. I have always wanted to learn Silent Night so that is the focus. I hope to surprise the family with the classical one (not much of a surprise since they hear me practice but I can hope they have learned to ignore me while I practice in the home office upstairs). I would like to learn “Oh, Come all ye Faithful” and “Hark the Herald Angels Sing” for the next songs. I have a feeling I will be leaning to the HG-25 for Christmas songs.

leftcoastarborist and LGOberean like this.
  15. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

Merry Christmas one and all... hope this find you all safe, healthy, and warm. No Christmas songs on my agenda been working on and playing lots of Bad Company tunes (electric & 12 string). Also acoustic Neil Young 6 & 12 string tubes from his “unplugged MTV set” working out the harmonica parts & solos. Lots of fun indoor COVID activities!
    RG

16. LGOberean

"Silent Night" is a great one for the guitar. And it has a history with the guitar. Y'all may know the backstory to the song, but it plays a part in why I perform it the way I do, so, briefly stated...

The song we know as "Silent Night" was originally composed in 1816 by an Austrian priest, Joseph Mohr. It was written in German as "Stille Nacht." Two years later, Mohr asked Franz Gruber, schoolteacher and also church organist/choir director to set the poem to music. It was first performed in 1818, for a Christmas Eve mass at the St. Nicholas parish church in Oberndorf bei Salzburg, Austria.

And it was performed on guitar. Legends tell slightly differing stories as to why the Gruber, the church organist, did not play his composition on the church organ. They range from the organ pipes being frozen, damaged by flooding, or simply that Mohr wanted to play the song on his favorite instrument, the guitar. But all versions agree that it was performed for the very first time on guitar.

I first heard the backstory/legends decades ago, and of course it resonated with me that a beloved Christmas hymn was performed originally on guitar. That inspired me to work up my own simple arrangement fingerstyle. Since I also lived for five years in San Juan, Puerto Rico as a boy, I speak Spanish, and have been singing that Mohr/Gruber composition as "Silent Night" and "Noche de Paz" all my life.

I decided years ago that I would learn the original German. I don't speak German, but I'm pretty good at picking up languages, and in my high school choir we sang a couple of songs in German, so I assigned myself the task of learning "Stille Nacht." So after getting it down in three languages and performing it that way for years, I decided I wanted to learn it in other languages as well. I have studied Greek, so 2-3 years ago I learned it in Greek. Last Christmas, I added Italian.

I think someone somewhere took a video of me performing it, but I just checked and it's not on my YouTube channel. Like I said, mine is just a simple arrangement, but it's something I do every year, so I'll probably make a video of it.

17. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

I look forward to seeing you play. With a Hohner of course. :D

18. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

29D5F8A4-DFA7-40B7-97FC-FE8C30C594A6.jpeg

leftcoastarborist and envirodat like this.
  19. LGOberean

I hoped that I could get another video done and posted to my YouTube channel, but it's not gonna happen before next week. We're getting ready to see family. We can't all be together on the 25th, so we're going to take a quick trip to see family tomorrow, and we'll drive back on Sunday. I hope to post several between next Monday and Friday.

20. LGOberean

I know I said just a few hours ago that I'd wait until next week to record any videos. But...

I came in after my evening walk with Bella, sat down with my HG-905 and started playing. Then I figured, "What the heck?!? I'll just try to record this medley, and if it isn't great, this will just be a practice run."

But I didn't take Bella into consideration. She was still pretty feisty after our walk, so she wasn't sitting still for it. As it turned out, she provided comic relief and cuteness. Given the hairy yet balding old troll behind the guitar, cuteness and comic relief was probably a useful distraction. So I'm keeping this video, but I'll probably record a cleaned up, "official" version later on.

And I probably won't use the 905 next time. It's such a canon that it kind of drowns out my voice at times. My 940 isn't exactly quiet, but it isn't as boomy, and I can sing over it better.

envirodat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.