Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

You can never have too many guitar tuners.

Attached Files:

envirodat likes this.
  2. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I have 2 Hohner guitars...

1) Hohner G03... has a really nice soft vee neck
    2) Hohner lawsuit SG... I don't know what the Hohner model name of this one would be, but its an SG clone right down to the Gibson mustache on the headstock

I'll scrape up some pictures another time

The Hohner SG has had the tuner replaced with German made Schapers... and the pickups swapped out for Dimarzio super distortions, with 2 x mini switches for coil split... so its a pretty cool beasty of a guitar. I gave $280 for it in a local shop. I thought it was a bargain compared to how great it plays and all the sounds I can get with the Dimarzios and the mini switches.

The headstock is pretty much all the way Gibson lawsuit exact, haha...

I'd like to know more about both.

The acoustic is one that has a broken bridge saddle and a guy I helped out by working on the electronics in his Mexican P-Bass gave it to me as a tip on top of the money he paid me to fix the bass. He didn't think it was worth anything and had been in his closet for years. With a little tender loving care and a new bridge saddle, some fresh strings (he gave it to me with a broken bridge saddle and 3 broken strings, haha... what is it with people who think guitars are goners if they have broken strings)

I fixed the saddle and put on new strings... wow, what a beautiful tone

Cool to find a "HohnerOwners" place...

3. leftcoastarborist

Welcome to the group GearGeek01. It is always good to have more people to share the Hohner experience with.

I gave a HG-03 to my youngest son. They are not the top of the line in the Hohner guitars but they do sound very nice.

Could you post pictures of your guitars? We would all like to see them.

Lee

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, @GearGeek01 welcome! I haven't owned an HG-03 like Lee (leftcoastarborist), but he's right about us wanting to see pics of your G03 and SG copy. Tracking down specific information about specific Hohner guitar models can be a tricky business. If we see what you're talking about, it might help. Also, any other information (stamped or printed on a label inside the acoustic, for example) might help us help you.

5. LGOberean

@GearGeek01 a follow up on your SG copy. I'm afraid I don't have anything to report except I have no further information. :( But I tried.

I have mentioned many times in this club thread my resource books published by the Fjestad family/publishing concern. The Editor & Publisher S. P. Fjestad and his nephew Zachary R. Fjestad have released a number of editions of the Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars and the Blue Book of Electric Guitars. The entries under different brand name headings aren't always complete, particularly when considering brands like Hohner, who had manufactured in various Japanese and later Korean factories many different models, often "lawsuit" copy types.

Well, I checked the Blue Book of Electric Guitars for your "SG lawsuit copy." But obviously it wasn't going to be listed by that name or model #, so I searched through 43 entries in five pages of text. There was nothing there that matched your description. The closest to come to your description was a couple of models dubbed the Tabu and Tabu DC introduced in 2005. (A year later, the models were renamed TB I and TB II.) But although this guitar is a double cutaway, it doesn't match your description, particularly of the "lawsuit" headstock.

[​IMG]

And the double cut body is more reminiscent of an Ibanez AR-250...

[​IMG]

So I guess the search for information continues. Again, I'd love to see some pics.

6. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Well this is related to Hohner guitars but no real guitar. I brought my guitar to the shop to get some work and they owner there had this old display stand there for me. He said about 30 years ago they sold Hohner's and he liked the quality. I thought I would share. Lee, if you were near by, being the collector you are, you would smile seeing this.

20200605_142924.jpg 20200605_142914.jpg 20200605_142856.jpg 20200605_142745.jpg

LGOberean likes this.
  7. leftcoastarborist

That is a great piece for your collection Bill.
    Can you spell GAS?

8. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

It took me a day or two to remember just where in the hell this Hohner Owner page was, haha... I'm on several different guitar forums, and lo and behold, here it is...

As far as pics of my Hohner SG... will have to wait a bit... do to some financial poo, its in the pawn shop as my finances needed a jump start that day...

Don't know what this is worth, but it came with a Gibson-tagged 70s SG case... not original to the guitar of course, but kind of interesting that a Gibson case followed along with a lawsuit headstock Hohner... they didn't even try to hide the headstock cut, its like an exact Gibby rip-off, LOL... right down to the little vase jar looking inlay on the headstock.

I did find one on Reverb just like mine... (there's several pictures on this link)
    https://reverb.com/item/3372790-hohner-sg

As I wrote in my last post the pups have been swapped for Dimarzio Super Distortions, and mini switches were added between the knobs for coil split... and the tuners were swapped out for German-made Schallers

As in the picture of the guy's guitar on Reverb, mine also has the half moon shaped control cover. Sort of like what they put on a 1972 Gibson SG II I once owned. Then a sort-of-kind-of Les Paul shaped pickguard as well. -- Bolt on neck... inlays that look like a monkey high on acid glued them in... haha... copious amounts of glue showing around the mother-of-toilet-seat material... control knobs that look like something from a Fender amp... LOL...

I love it... when I first saw it across the room I thought it was a Gibson... then when I got closer I saw it was a Hohner and then I just had to have it... haha

9. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

10. LGOberean

I believe your guitar is listed in that Hohner Historical Models document you linked. I should have thought to look there. On page 32 that document, the following information is given...

With a little searching through this thread, I found a catalog page I shared years ago, in response to someone with an LP copy. The SG copy (HG-440SG) happened to be on that catalog page as well...

[​IMG]

Here is a transcription of the specs in case the copy on the page is a bit hard to read...

11. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

WOW !! That's it !!

So the model number is: "HG-440SG"... that might give me a clue as to what to search for on Google.

Looks like they all shared the same control knobs, bridges, and tuners, I am going to guess HB pickups are the same throughout this line as well.

When I got mine some previous owner had swapped the tuners for German Schallers, and the pickups for Dimarzio Super Distortions, and added 2 mini-switches between the control knobs for coil splitting. With the switching and guts the Dimarzios give it, it has a unique set of tones, combined with a pretty chunky heavy-side body. It was priced right, so I worked out a layaway with the shop that had it, and eventually brought it home.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

I'm going to do a video soon that demos IK Multimedia's digital microphone system for acoustic guitar, the iRig Acoustic Stage system. The MEMS (micro-electromechanical system) microphone is shaped like a #346 guitar pick, and just clips onto the soundhole (or f-hole) of your acoustic guitar. The system also includes an outboard preamp and DSP processing unit.

Here is what it looks like when clipped onto the guitar and plugged into the preamp device...

upload_2020-6-17_12-0-10.png

The guitar I used here to model the iRig Acoustic Stage system is my Hohner HG-905. Now this 905 is a canon; it's gotta lotta volume and projection to it, so in some settings I won't need to amplify the sound. But I'm experimenting with this iRig that I bought about a year ago. I've tried it out a few times at home, but I haven't gigged with the system yet, or even made a video of it. So, I'm going to at least make a video of it, and will post that here when I do. May not be today, though...

Oh, and as I mentioned, it fits on the f-hole of an archtop, so I might as well post a pic of that here as well, even though my archtop isn't a Hohner. You know, "pics or it didn't happen" and all...

upload_2020-6-17_12-0-34.png

leftcoastarborist and envirodat like this.
  13. lavrgs

lavrgs TDPRI Member

Is there a particular advantage to that system? It seems a bit awkward vs just plugging in a cable to an embedded pre-amp system especially if it gets taken on and off very often. I guess the good news is you can buy 4-5 of them for the cost of an embedded system

14. LGOberean

@lavrgs I bought that iRig a year ago. Both of my Hohners are acoustics, and I have other acoustics I could use that system on as well, including the archtop pictured above. So that is an advantage, as far as I'm concerned. And setup and breakdown is really simple. Granted, it's not as simple as just plugging into and endpin jack, but it's not bad.

Also, I have guitars that are acoustic/electric. And of those, I have my go-to acoustic/electric for gigging purposes, and that's not going to change. This iRig just lets me gig with any one of my acoustics if I so desire, without modifying the guitars.

And speaking of those acoustic/electrics, the iRig system also has an Aux input, and a control for Blend, so you can blend the sound from this system with your existing guitar pickup system. It also has Phase controls.

It's a versatile preamp unit. You might not be able to tell it from the pic, but that preamp unit also has a "Calibrate" mode. You hold down the button to activate the calibration feature. You scroll through whether you want the saved calibration to be "Natural," "Warm," "Bright" or "Nylon." Then you just play up the neck, barring your index finger across each fret position, and...voila! The system is calibrated to your guitar.

I've done that with three of my guitars already, including both the Hohner HG-905 and the Harmony Broadway archtop pictured above. I chose "Natural" each time, and to my ears, the results didn't sound quacky or like a plastic imitation of my acoustics. Rather, it sounded like a reproduction of the acoustic tone, or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Oh, and the cost factor is an advantage, as you pointed out. The iRig Acoustic Stage system sells for C-note, but I even bought mine on sale for like $90, from Sweetwater. Lots cheaper than modifying each one of my five acoustics to equip them with their own pickup/preamp system.

15. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.