1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I'm known for owning guitars for days and weeks, not months or years. That said I bought a cheaper Hohner HW640 back in 2005. Only guitar I ever kept. Loaned it to my son 5-6 years ago. I asked him about it the other day and he admitted my grand kids had broken it a couple of years ago. Bummer.

2. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

3. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Hi Lonn.
    Too bad about that HW640. I see those come up for sale occasionally at what appears to be reasonable prices. Perhaps you can find another one or a vintage Hohner in the HG-300 or HG-900 series. They are great build and sound quality.

Hi Paul.
    That is a nice looking guitar in the ad. I am surprised that shipping from France is that low. The last few guitars that I shipped or received were not far off that cost in the states. The price of shipping seems to have at least doubled in the past few months.
    If you are looking for a Hohner copy of a Les Paul, take a look at the picture of my G220TB. It was built for Hohner by Samick, probably in the early 80s. I have it on consignment with a music store but have not heard that it has sold. I would sell it for 300.00 plus shipping.

Attached Files:

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Lee, you've got that LP copy, and hollowbody electrics, but I don't recall you're ever talking about Hohner tele copies. Do they not interest you, or have you just not had any luck finding one?

5. leftcoastarborist

Thought I would never play an electric but saw the G220TB with vertical HOHNER on the headstock and decided to give it a try. Found a vintage Hohner amp to go with it. I found this guitar heavier than I was comfortable with so have decided to sell it.
    I bought a HS40 arch top from the original owner. It is a beautiful guitar that I later sold to Bill (envirodat).
    The next electric, a keeper, is a HG-805. The smaller size arch top is a Japan built by Terada. Seems to fit me well and is a beautiful guitar.
    Nothing against teles but one Electric will probably do for me.

Still struggling with which acoustics to sell. For the time being the 900 series collection will stay. There is an extra 930 and 950 that will eventually be sold.
    I will probably keep two or three each of the 300 and 700 series.
    The HG-25 classical is a keeper. My HG-14 is on loan to a 93 year old friend and will be let go when he is done with it.

Several other Hohner guitars must be decided on before long but thinning the forest has at least a start.

All that said, I still would like to find the elusive HG-370 and perhaps a 302s.

Lee

LGOberean likes this.
  6. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

HG-920 just popped up on ebay and is priced reasonably to sell. Looks pretty nice at first glance.

ebay item # 274350855446

7. leftcoastarborist

Hi Rockin Gramps.

Thanks for the message about the 920. That should be a great price even with the cosmetic issues. Doubt if that will last very long. Hope whoever ends up with it is already is a member of this group, or becomes one.

I have not seen a 940 for you yet but am still looking. I believe, as I stated in an earlier post, that we will be seeing some of these high end Hohner guitars start showing up more often than in the past.

With any luck my HG-370 may be one of them.

Lee

8. LGOberean

Lee, to follow up on the discussion of electric guitars by Hohner, specifically your "keeper," the HG-805..

What are its dimensions? Another question: What does it sound like unplugged?

I could get into why those two questions and how they relate to one another, but just for a change of pace, I'll be brief, and give you a chance to answer without me priming the pump, so to speak.

9. leftcoastarborist

Hi Larry.

The HG-805 is a copy of a George Benson Ibanez. Weight is just over 5 and a half pounds, nut width 1.69 inches, scale length 24.75. The top is spruce, maple back and sides, mahogany neck. The body size is similar to a 000 auditorium.

I am certainly no expert but it actually sounds pretty good unplugged.

Lee 493BD38C-2B31-4D9A-93FA-99EEFB8DDBEF.jpeg 8E1002E7-BBC6-48B9-8BBB-772766296315.jpeg 0C657EA8-A90C-4841-8495-DF9B1C2AE5B6.jpeg 3B39154F-F775-47F7-8BB8-EA02F77BC963.jpeg 9DD429C9-D182-4733-858B-B108AB03B40A.jpeg

Attached Files:

envirodat likes this.
  10. LGOberean

Lee, that certainly is a pretty guitar. As for it being Hohner's copy of an Ibanez George Benson, I actually ran across some comment recently in a discussion forum about that. Or maybe what I read was the ad copy for a Reverb listing, I can't remember where I read it now.

I've listened to George Benson's playing for years, and read articles about and watched interviews of him, so I knew he had a couple of signature guitars with Ibanez. And I've checked them out before online. (Same with Pat Metheny, BTW.) So if the Hohner HG-805 is a copy of the Ibanez GB10, then it's a smaller than average body. Ibanez stats say the GB10 measures 14-3/4" across the lower bout. I would guess that the smaller "sound box" (i.e., the body) probably makes for less volume than, say, a Gibson ES-175. That might also change the tonality a bit, although that difference is probably negligible.

The other factor for me in how it projects and sustains would be the hardware. Cuts made into the top of the guitar to accommodate two humbuckers, four control knobs and a switch would dampen the top's vibrations, and therefore potentially inhibit the sound. Some argue against this point, saying if it's a laminated top, the diminished resonance is owing to that factor, not the cuts in the top and the hardware installed. They may be right, but I'm not entirely convinced.

So for now, my ideal archtop guitar is an acoustic archtop, like the old Harmony archtop I learned on, or one with "floating" hardware (pickups, switches and even pickguards). I've only ever played a couple of jazz boxes/archtop hollow bodies with pickups. One was a Gretsch, in a Guitar Center in San Antonio. I just picked one of the wall to plug into a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I don't remember the model number or even the color.

Oh, wait, I've pulled Gretsches down off the wall in my local GC from time to time as well. But again, colors and model numbers of those guitars is not something I was paying attention to at the time.

I have had a little more experience with an Ibanez. As with the Gretsches, I don't remember the model numbers. The color was some shade of blue, I want to say Pelham Blue, but that may not be quite right. It was a friend's guitar. Back about 4 years ago, we did a Fall Festival gig. Well, it was really their gig (husband and wife duo, both of whom I've known for decades, even before they were married); they just prearranged for me to sit in for one set. So when I was at their house rehearsing, I got to play his Ibanez hollow body.

11. leftcoastarborist

Thanks Larry,
    The 805 is a scaled down version of the GB10. Because of my lack of experience I would not know the small nuances you might pick up on. The pickguard, trapeze cover and knobs are rosewood.
    Bucky Barrett owns one of these. He was a Hohner clinician involved with the design of Hohner guitars. He did some ads for Hohner, was in Roy Orbison’s band and became a studio musician in Nashville. He loves Hohner guitars. Rockin Gramps (Michael, I think) has a 810 which is a single cutout of same size. It would be great to have his comments as well because of his long time experience.
    Lee

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

I'm in demo video mode lately. I've committed to making demo vids for my YouTube channel of my Logan Custom guitars. It took several days of trying to find the right time for my wife to shoot the video, but we got the first one done tonight. I'll be posting it to my channel and in the Logan Custom Owners Club thread a little later on, if anyone's interested.

It's not a professional deal; just me playing in my living room, with my wife filming with her iPhone. And my playing was sloppy in several places. But, hey, it's not about me; it's about my guitars.

But I bring that up here because I'll be making videos of my other guitars as well. It may be a while longer before I do more with the Hohners. To tell the truth, I have more videos of me playing my Hohners than I have of any of my other guitars. But I will be adding some more. When I do get new ones up, I'll post them here, of course, and on the Hohner Facebook page.

13. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

14. leftcoastarborist

Hi everyone.

I recently found several pages from a Hohner catalogue that I thought might be of interest to most of you and to some of you specifically.

I gave my youngest son a HG-03 awhile back and thought the body is rosewood. This catalogue shows it to be Obancole.

I have a HG-14 and Larry used to have one also. I thought it is rosewood body. The catalogue shows it to be Natoh.

LPaulG has a HG-12L. He thought the L might be a mistake because it is right hand dexterity. The catalogue shows his guitar body to be Buvinga and the HG-12 to be Obancole.

Not in this catalogue but other Hohner literature the body wood they used on body of the HG-14, HG-730, HG-731, and HG-930 is Makassa.

If you Google Obancole, Natoh, Buvinga and Makassa they will come up with one or more spellings. Not sure where Hohner came up with the spellings they used.

I am posting those catalogue pages for the benefit of all.

LGOberean likes this.
  15. leftcoastarborist

Hohner catalogue pages :

Attached Files:

envirodat likes this.
  16. leftcoastarborist

In the post before the catalogue pages I mistakenly said HG-14 listed as Makassa. That should have read HG-25.

17. LGOberean

Thanks for posting those, Lee. What year catalog was that?

I scrolled through all of them, but confess it was only after going straight to the HG-14. The one I had was a nice guitar, and it's the one I have the most remorse over selling.

I didn't know the body wood was "natoh." Funny spelling. I've always seen "nato," like the acronym NATO. All I knew is it paired well with the cedar top.

18. leftcoastarborist

Hi Larry.

There was no year printed on the pages. I would guess the mid seventies to early eighties because that seems to be when the HG guitars were made according to other Hohner literature.

I found it interesting because some of the guitar models are ones I had not seen. Also the woods used that I was unaware of. I am curious about how Hohner came up with the spelling of those wood species since other companies used different spelling of the same wood.

The search for information about Hohner guitars is interesting as well as frustrating. I wonder if that is true of other brands from that era.

Hope you are doing well during these strange and challenging times. I am ready for a return to pre-virus life.

19. leftcoastarborist

Some HOHNER accessories.

Attached Files:

20. LGOberean

Yeah, Lee, when it comes to information about Hohners, that's been my experience as well: piqued interest and frustration. :(

We are returning to a pre-Kung Flu lifestyle, in the sense that we are currently on a camping trip. Thus far we've stayed in private RV parks and state parks, where Internet connection and/or cell service has been minimal to non-existent. Where we're camped now we have good reception, so I'm checking in on TDPRI.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.