1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

I think the definition of a professional is getting paid to do "it" or making a profit.
    Probably leaves all of us out. To bad we can't charge for "practicing."

2. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Good point. How about expert guitar collectors. :)

Lee, that 912 I am sure is nice but that is out of my range. Thanks for asking.

3. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Speaking of collecting, the 950 and 320 arrived today within 5 minutes of each other.

The 320 is really clean and came with new strings. It os exactly as described. Have not plugged it in to test the pickup yet.

The 950 was really dirty. Looked like it sat for many years. Unbelievable amount of dust inside. I removed the pick holder, cleaned it up and restrung it with D’Addario phosphor bronze custom light gauge 11-53.

I am sending pictures of both guitars and the rare picture like David’s awhile ago with 2 hG-950 Hohner guitars.

Attached Files:

Rockin Gramps and envirodat like this.
  4. leftcoastarborist

Paul, those 800 series Hohner guitars are pretty rare. RockinGramps, Bucky Barrett and I have them. They are nice guitars and very light weight. The one on Reverb has lots of mods and some crack issues.

To me “professional” means doing it well, paid or not. I know a lot of pilots that fly professionally that are not paid and some that are paid but do not fly very well. Some actually fly professionally and get paid as well.
    Confused yet?

Bill, I think RockinGramps advice on the jumbo 12 string is really good. The 731 is Makassa sides and back, like our HG-25s, the most beautiful wood IMO.

Lee

5. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Thanks for the pictures Lee of the guitars. They look beautiful! The inlay on the 320 looks like it would be gorgeous. Would love to see detailed pictures. What is the inlay? That is quite a site to see 2 950's side by side. Now of course, we will need a picture of all the 900's you have lined up.

Looking forward to hearing how they sound and play. Neat that the 320 came with a pickup. A bonus.

The HG-25 I got from you is being used everyday. I am guessing the Makassa is what gives it that nice deep rich sound. I am 2/3 of the way through Mood for a day. Discovering undoing mistakes (poor technique or misread music) is taking 10 times longer than learning it right the first time. My wife smiles when she walks by and sees me playing the video at 1/4 speed making sure I have the right fingering.

6. leftcoastarborist

Hi Bill,

if you can still bring up that ad you referred me to on the 320 it has good pictures of detail. If that is not possible let me know. The inlays are abalone. It is a beautiful instrument and the pickup works great. That is a plus and my 328 and 340 came to me with that also.

I cleaned and restrung the 950 yesterday. I put in a post yesterday that I used 11-53 gauge strings but that should have read 11-52.
    The 950 was really dusty inside and sticky outside. I spent a lot of time cleaning it - what a difference. It came with a capo, truss rod tool and a tuner as well.

That was a high end guitar purchase for me but I think it was the right thing to do. When I add up my investment in the guitars I own (I am not even sure of that number) It is still a lot less than only one of the collectables from the big name manufacturers. In addition, I can’t imagine the quality of build and tone being much better with those vs our Hohner instruments.

Lee

7. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

8. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  9. leftcoastarborist

Bill, the link worked fine. Nice photos. Thanks. They really are a beautiful guitar. They seem to be well thought of by owners.

Someone either posted or advertised that there were only 200 made. Not sure of how that could be verified since Hohner did not keep track of serial numbers or even put out info on how many manufacturers built guitars under their brand.

There is enough evidence based on the guitars I own and the research of many individuals that at least two, and probably more manufacturers were involved in Japan alone from the mid 70s to mid 80s. Some of those 80s guitars were built in Korea as well.

Paul, do you own and play electric guitars too or acoustics only? It would be nice to see pictures of your guitars and have you tell us how your interest in Hohner came about.

Lee

10. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Small, portable, nylon, so sweeet!...
    2012-07-01 18.17.57.jpg

envirodat and Rockin Gramps like this.
  11. leftcoastarborist

Nice looking guitar. Tell us about it. From you avatar picture it looks like you are electrified. Do you have acoustic in addition to the classical?

12. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Neat guitar guitarmikey. How does that sound compared to a regular classical? It looks like the type of guitar one would take on a hike or to the beach.

13. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

Neil Young Archives web site is showing a full never seen 1991 concert if your interested to check it out. It's on the Movietine page in the Contrarian Times - Buffalo Memorial Concert. All electric performance I believe W/Crazy Horse - Today only.

14. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Thanks Rockin Gramps! I enjoyed it.

15. leftcoastarborist

ARBORS

Attached Files:

LGOberean and envirodat like this.
  16. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

You must have had fun Lee doing that picture. I Hope you are keeping all of those nice Arbors well played.

17. leftcoastarborist

I am posting a list of the serial numbers of my Arbor series Hohner guitars. I suspect the large numerical difference may indicate at least two factories, or perhaps more, produced these guitars and used their own number sequence within a series. That does not tell us which factories these were or that my assumption is correct.

HG-905 91809
    G-910 12878
    HG-912 04624
    HG-920 05590
    HG-930 93505
    HG-930 00843
    HG-940 04179
    HG-950 03847
    HG-950 04195

Note that one of the 950 is only 16 in number from my 940.
    Note that there is a series of numbers in the 90,000
    Note that there is a series of numbers in the 12,000
    Note that there is a series of numbers in the 3,000 and 4,000
    Note that there is is one in the 800

The difference from highest to lowest in my Arbor acoustics is 92,662.
    I seriously doubt there were that many guitars produced in the Arbor series dreadnought. If there were, we should soon see them flooding the market.

I would like to have those of you with 900 series guitars post the serial numbers. It might be interesting.

18. leftcoastarborist

Hi Bill,
    I play each one at least 30 minutes each day. If you believe that, I have a bridge I would like to talk to you about.
    I did have fun doing that picture.
    It is amazing what you can do when in lockdown mode.
    Lee

19. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

That must be a great bridge Lee, I want one! :) I will say with the lock down I am getting more practice time in. I hope you and all the others are safe and healthy.

leftcoastarborist likes this.
  20. leftcoastarborist

To date I am safe and healthy.
    Your bridge is in Brooklyn. We can negotiate the price.

Anyone out there that can post serial numbers of Arbor 900 series acoustic guitars? I would like to track them to see if we can determine the number of factories building them even if we cannot come up with the names.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.