Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

I did try to tell everyone to make an offer on the HG-950.
    As you all know by now I am a bit over the top on the Hohner guitars. I am the one that bought the 950.
    After talking directly with the owner and getting the history of the guitar I made an offer which was turned down and a new offer that was accepted.
    As Paul Harvey would have said, here is the rest of the story.......
    The seller got the 950 new from a music store in South Africa owned by his uncle. He recently emigrated to the U S and lives in small quarters while seeking employment. He played the guitar very little as he, like me, is not a musician. That is a condition I hope to eventually change in my case. I look at this as an opportunity to compare this guitar with the one I acquired from South Africa after a 9 month struggle to get it here because of the CITES situation. I will decide which one to keep and then sell one of them for exactly what I paid.
    Not ready for sending pictures yet but I recently got a HG-912 that completes the Arbor series collection. Actually I do not have the HG-905L. I am somewhat ambidextrous but doubt I would ever play left handed. I have heard that some people would give their right arm to be ambidextrous.
    I will update info and pictures when able.

Rockin Gramps likes this.
  2. leftcoastarborist

I believe that more of the Hohner Arbor series guitars are showing up in the market place now for a variety of reasons. People that purchased them new are getting up in years and may have quit playing or have passed on and have no family that has an interest. Also price increases may be a motivation to sell. Considering the short amount of time for me to find all the 900 series models except the HG-905L that seems to be the only thing that makes sense.

That being said, it has taken a great deal of effort to find these instruments through internet searches and tips through participation in guitar threads like Hohner Owners Club and Vintage Hohner Acoustic Group. Thank you Larry and Steve for starting these and for all members that actively participate.

Another thing I have tried to do is contact sellers directly when possible to obtain as much detail and history as I can before making an offer. I find that often the seller is not knowledgeable about the instrument and has relied on bad information. If you remember the story of my first HG-950, it took me 9 months to get that guitar from South Africa to the US.

Speaking of South Africa, that is where the HG-950 I just purchased came from. I know another man in that country that owns 3 HG-720, a HG-912 and a HG-950. The HG-950 I just purchased came from a music store from South Africa. Seems they must have had a Hohner distributor there. Perhaps other countries did as well.

I encourage anyone wanting a particular model Hohner guitar to continue the search. I am still looking for the HG-370. One of my HG-950 guitars wii be for sale in the near future, as well as many other Hohner guitars. You will here it first on this site.

3. leftcoastarborist

A comment on buying online and pricing of guitars.

Perhaps I have just been lucky with online purchases but only once was a guitar misrepresented (by omission). That was my fault as well because I did not detect a problem because of my ignorance at the time. I have found over the years that people are generally honest.
    I agree that seeing and touching would be the ideal situation but if you want some of these guitars that is not practical from a distance and cost of travel standpoint.

Pricing of guitars is all over the board but definitely going up overall for the really good ones. As I get older I am more subject to sticker shock on many items. I paid $40.00 for my first car and $12,500.00 for my first house.
    We all missed a HG-950 on Reverb last may for $399.00, from a music store no less. All the 900 series I have were purchased in the last 17 months and have ranged in price from $500.00 to $1100.00 not counting shipping, which has gone up a lot in the last few months. Any guitars I sell will be for no more than I have in purchase and shipping + new shipping.

In closing this post, I would not have the guitars I own if not willing to do the best research possible and be willing to take a chance with online purchases. BTW, I bought that HG-320 as well as the HG-950 on Reverb after one on one conversations with the sellers and paid several hundred dollars less than asking price for each.

4. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

The advantage that you have Lee is you are a dedicated collector and have a passion and drive for learning more about the guitars. It is because of that that my two that I bought from you were sight unseen. I trusted the first time based on your posts and PMs that it would work out well and knew the second time I got the HG-25 that the person selling it was giving me a solid guitar and deal.

I was looking for a classical and a hollow body electric that I could play and have fun with and loved the idea of having then as Hohner's because although my HG-300 is average compared to the other guitars Hohner made, it is my source of joy every time I play it. So it is priceless to me. With the HS-40 and the HG-25 I am getting more and more time on them and each time I play they become more familiar and inviting (though I will admit the width of the HG-25 bedevils my hands at times and I wish the neck was just a bit narrower). So I'm glad the 320 and the 950 went to a good home and I look forward to seeing pictures of them. It looks like the forest got some new trees. :)

leftcoastarborist likes this.
  5. leftcoastarborist

Hi Bill. Thanks for your kind words. I was beginning to think I had offended everyone somehow.
    I did not make an offer on the 950 for several days after becoming aware of it thinking one of the other members would make offers. When that didn’t happen I thought it would be foolish not to try. There will be another chance for someone to get a 950 when I decide which to keep.
    The 320 is one I have wanted for a long time but had not seen one For sale that did not have serious issues. Reverb did sell a nice one four years ago for $950.00.
    I should not be adding to the forest, but I did put three guitars on consignment with a music store recently. I will make a list of guitars I want to sell soon and post it on this forum.
    I am convinced that more high end Hohner guitars will continue to show up for sale for the reasons I stated in earlier post but, they will be more expensive than a few years ago. Less than two years ago it was suggested theire were only three 950 Hohner guitars known of. Since then one was found in US and three from South Africa.
    The search continues for the HG-370.
    Stay well, Lee

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Speaking for myself, Lee, when I read your comments, I didn’t take offense. I felt frustrated, sad and guilty. I hasten to add that those feelings of mine were in no way your fault, it’s just what I’m dealing with. I’ve been such a long-time advocate for Hohner guitars, I feel like I should put my money where my mouth is. But I just can’t. And so out of feelings of frustration and guilt, I just didn’t reply.

I am retired, my wife is trying to move that direction. Just this morning, she and I were discussing our finances, and what we want to do at this stage in our lives is travel/camping. We bought a travel trailer 9-10 months ago, and now my SUV, our tow vehicle, needs more repairs than it’s worth. So we are discussing the pros and cons of another vehicle, of becoming a one car family, etc.

Collecting guitars just doesn’t fit into that picture. For years I wanted another Hohner from the Arbor series. Then I gave up on the idea, then came back to it. I’ve had two other Hohners, as I’ve said before. Even though the nut width wasn't to my liking, I still regret selling my HG-14. The DR-550 was a gift to my son, so I don’t regret that. And I currently have my two from the Arbor series: my beloved G-940 I bought in 1983; and the HG-905, thanks to you, Lee. I am thankful for what I have, as indeed I should be.

Beyond my Hohners, I have all the guitars and amps I need for gigging. So, although it pains me to say it, it looks like I may be done being a collector and a gear head.

7. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

I didn’t anything the wrong way either. I posted the info here on it as I was hoping someone in the Hohner community would get it. If it was a 940 I would have been seriously after it myself.

I own a couple Rosewood bodied guitars which are prettier woods an brighter tones but I’m more fond of the mahogany warmth's & tones. I play a lot of dropped D tunings and just enjoy them more.

Good on ya Lee for keeping it in the Hohner family and working the sale.

8. leftcoastarborist

Larry,
    I understand your position. I am glad you and your wife are enjoying that trailer and the travel with it. Hopefully you will resolve that tow vehicle problem soon. I am driving a 1999 GMC pickup that has 441,000 miles on it with virtually no rebuild or repairs beyond normal maintenance. Just recently bought a 2000 Ford Explorer with 35,000 actual miles that will hopefully see me through a lot more years.

Rockin Gramps (Larry too, I think),
    I will keep a lookout for that HG-940 and let you know if one becomes available. I think they have been as hard to find as the 950.

I truly believe what I said about the good ones starting to show up more often. I also intend to pass a lot of my guitars to other Hohner enthusiasts at my cost + shipping.

The search continues for the HG-370. That one seems more elusive than the 940 and 950.

Stay well everyone.

Lee

LGOberean likes this.
  9. leftcoastarborist

Anyone on this forum know of a HG-940 that is, or could be for sale?
    RockinGramps needs one.
    Any help finding one would be much appreciated.

Now the same applies to a HG-370 for me!

10. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

Hello everyone. Long time lurker.
    I tried to contact him four months ago when he first listed it at $999,999.00
    He wouldn't answer the phone number listed in the ad. I feared it was a scam to harvest telephone numbers like on Craigslist. Was presently surprised when it showed up again with shipping specified. I had messaged him about the fact that nobody could bid unless he did. You'd think Reverb would force you to enter one unless it's local pickup only and I don't know how they make their percentage on those.

Everyone be safe,
    Paul
    Several Hohner Owner

11. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

Tax is killing online sales of this type. Tax on that 950 was about $100.

12. leftcoastarborist

Hi Paul.

Thanks for responding. It is always good to see new members, and really good to have long time members participate again.
    From your name LPaulG is it safe to assume you are a fan of Les Paul guitars?

What Hohner guitars do you have? Could you post pictures?

Glad I did not see the original price on the 950. Prices have definitely gone up but even I know they are not worth that. Not sure how we all missed the HG-950 that sold on Reverb last May for $399.00. Perhaps it went to someone that will show up on this site. The fact that it was sold by a music store indicates that there is still a lack of respect for Hohner by some people.

Lee

13. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

Without having it "in hand" at $1499 plus tax plus shipping it was definitely a gamble and there are too many options out there in that price range.That being said I'd still be interested in the one you decide to let go. The all solid wood handmade construction icluding binding and inlay is very attractive.
    The fretboard looked like it definitely needed a scrubbing and treating, the pickholder would definitely need to disappear. Neck dents really bug me because someone usually disrespected them by carelessly leaning the against a tableor chsir. Worse than that are fretwire divots caused the same way unless they have gorilla fingers clamping it like a vice grip!

We're caretaker of the following;
    G905
    HG200
    HG300
    HG302S "the wizard" moons & stars inlays
    HG360R oval sound hole
    HG12L
    HG731
    last and probably least a Contessa
    I doubt there's another hiding out but I've been surprised before.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  14. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

Of course the wizard also has stainless steel nut and saddle, weird.

15. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

Also, I've always wondered why HG12 "L" ?? It's not a lefty. Of course mislabeling always occurred, especially on Alvarez. I'm thinking many were probably imported without labels and affixed on inspection leading to errors.

16. leftcoastarborist

Hi Paul.

I paid quite a bit less than asking price for the 950. I recently purchased a HG-912 that completes the collection of Arbor series except the HG-905L.

I would like to have a HG-302s. I knew of two others, then last week another showed up on another site. That one has stainless nut and saddle, one in the UK had brass which he had changed to bone. Not sure of the other one.

If you have followed my posts over the last 17 months you have probably seen all or most of my Hohner guitars.

My 300 series are 300, 310(2), 320, 328, 340. I would like to add 360R and 370. The 370 is more rare than the 950.

My 700 series are 700, 710, 730 and 740.

My only electric is a HG-805.

I have a HG-25 classical also.

There are several other acoustics but the 300, 700 and 900 are my main interest.

You have a nice collection of Hohner guitars Paul. I hope you will stay active in discussions. You have a lot to share.

Lee

17. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Would love to see pictures of your guitars Paul and hope you stay active in the discussion. Sounds like you have a lot of information to share.

18. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

19. leftcoastarborist

I did buy that 320. I paid considerably less than the asking price. I contacted him directly by message and then spoke to him on the phone.
    Like many sellers, he was misinformed as to the build of the 320. Many think it is an all solid wood guitar when it is not. The 320 is solid top with laminated back and sides. Educating the seller sometimes helps.

Often times the condition of the guitars I have purchased are better than pictures make them look. Reflections, lighting, angle of picture and quality of lens can really distort. I guess that could go the other way as well. If the action is low it can usually be dealt with at minimal expense.

BTW, I did not have to pay tax on these guitars. Oregon does not have sales tax. They make up for it in ridiculously high property taxes.

Would really like to see pictures of your guitars Paul.

Lee

20. LPaulG

LPaulG TDPRI Member

I have folders and folders full of guitar pics on the computer which I rarely use anymore and I don't know how many I have of mine but I'll look. Not really up to a photo session but that may change in 30 days of isolation!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.