1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

wow, a real live Hohner 370! That guy should win just for having it. Will have to see if he has a video to simply hear it play.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thought I'd enlarge and bring forward to this page those pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did a quick search, and so far all I've found is a 33 second video clip of his audition. And more of the video clip was dedicated to people's reactions than to his playing or singing. As for his singing, I didn't care a whole lot for it, but whatever. More to the point, the clip was too brief to get much of a sense of his playing capabilities or the guitar's tone. But it did sound good, and was just so cool to see one onstage.

3. ferlin

ferlin Tele-Meister

Here's what it sounds like :)

leftcoastarborist and envirodat like this.
  4. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Yes Ferlin, I am jealous, both of the guitar and his ability to play it.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I had an Hohner Harmonica once

6. LGOberean

Okay, well that video definitely "gave a sense of his playing capabilities." The kid can play! Anyone that can cover Phil Keaggy gots chops! However, covering that song pretty much requires a lot of layered in effects and looping, so I'd like to hear something else by him on that 370 that's more straight ahead acoustic guitar tone, just amplified.

This has been shared before, but here again is a page from the 1976 Hohner catalog showing front and back of the HG-370, with specs printed above the picture.
    [​IMG]

envirodat likes this.
  7. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Always nice to see that again, thank you Larry. I agree with you Larry it would be nice just hear how well it plays and not the other effects. I wish had a ounce of that kids talent.

I am curious, with the 340 and 360 shown, how do they rate compare to Arbor Series? I would ask against the 370 but I don't think anyone has one to tell us the differences. I figure enough people here would know the differences between the guitars could share an audio file if you are stuck inside and need a distraction. Sort of like the earlier post where we had to tell the difference between the Hohner and the Martin.

Hope everyone is doing well and not going stir crazy. Thanks Ferlin for the original post and getting some chatter here.

8. leftcoastarborist

I have seen claims that the HG-370 is solid spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides. The sheet from Hohner does not verify that but it may be true. It has lots of bling. All of my Hohner 300 series guitars sound great. The only one I have that is not rosewood tone wood is the 340 with maple. It sounds good also but much softer tone and less volume.
    There are two 300 series guitars that have the same shape bridge and pick guard as the 900 series. They are the 318 and 328. Both are solid spruce top with laminated rosewood back and sides.
    I would still like to find a 370. If it is a solid wood guitar it is probably lighter than the rest of the 300 series also.

9. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

10. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

I know this is a guitar forum but I just wanted to check in an wish everyone good health & spirit during this CV crisis. Hopefully all of you and your families stay free of the virus as it runs its course.

keep on strumming & be well.

RG

11. Rockin Gramps

12. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Excellent point Rockin Gramps about keeping safe and also nice find on the guitar. I wish everyone here good health and hope you and your families are safe and healthy during these hard times.

I would love to have that guitar but I think my wife would kill me if that suddenly showed up at home. ;)

Rockin Gramps likes this.
  13. LGOberean

This is just a silly video I did this morning. I was actually going to play it on one of my Hohners, and was leaning towards the G-940, just because I haven't used that one in a video for some time now. But because I was wearing a T-shirt about Breedlove guitars made for me by my wife, at the last minute I decided to play it on my 2008 Breedlove AD25/SM dreadnought.
    Still, I thought I'd share it here.

(Disclaimer: I (re)wrote this late last night, and so at times during the song I hesitated, trying to remember my own lyrics. And this preoccupation with the lyrics made me self-conscious, and made me flub the instrumental intro. But it is what it is. Hopefully, you'll get a chuckle out of it.)

The China Virus Blues
    (Sweet Lord of Mine)
    Lyrics adapted by Larry G. Overton, March 25, 2020
    (with apologies to Neil Diamond)

Where it began was in Wuhan, China
    And from there it’s growing strong
    And now it’s the Spring, will it spread to summer?
    Who’d have believed it would come along?
    Hands…washing hands…
    Don’t reach out, don’t touch me,
    I won’t touch you

(Chorus)
    Sweet Lord of mine!
    Lead us to good times again
    I’m inclined to believe this thing will end
    But now I’m…

Sheltering in place, living like a hermit
    But that’s okay, I look like one, too
    The days drag on, spent in isolation
    When, oh, when will this thing be through?
    (But now it’s) Hands…washing hands…
    Don’t reach out, don’t touch me,
    I won’t touch you
    (Chorus)

Sweet Lord of Mine!

Rockin Gramps and envirodat like this.
  14. leftcoastarborist

One of you guys should make an offer on that HG-950 (a reasonable offer). They don’t come up for sale often.

This Covid-19 is a scary thing that will have lasting effects on many lives and our economy. My best wishes to all.

envirodat and LGOberean like this.
  15. LGOberean

When I saw RG's post on Tuesday, I immediately followed the link and and started to try and rationalize how to justify the expense. I told my wife years ago that if I ever found a Hohner Arbor series for sale, I'd want to find a way to make that work. That didn't make her mad when I said it, but it did make her nervous. She's probably forgotten that conversation by now, but I never have. And this 950 brings it all back for me. I haven't told about the 950 yet.

But nearly $1,600 sounds too high for a guitar that I don't really need! (Want? Yes, you bet! Need? No.) I noticed the "Make an Offer" button. But I honestly don't know if this is a fair market value price, or if it's way over the top.

If I'm honest, as an owner of a 940, I don't begrudge the owner of a 950 for asking a high dollar value. I've said many times that I'll never sell my Hohner G-940, and that still holds. But if I were in dire need of providing for our next meal, and I had already sold a multi-fx pedal...a powered speaker...6 amps...and 14 other guitars, then I might be forced to sell it. But I would price it according to what it's worth as a quality guitar, and more importantly, what it's worth to me from a sentimental standpoint. Seriously, even in a more real world scenario, you'd have to offer me the price of a pre-war Martin D-28 to even tempt me.

But I digress. My point is I wouldn't even know what to give as a counter offer. I would want to be fair to the seller, while still making it something I could do. Most of y'all probably know that I paid $600 for my 940 in 1983. An online inflation calculator says that's $1,558.30 in 2020 dollars. I honestly don't know what to offer for that 950. If any of you have recently bought guitars in the 900 Arbor series, if you wouldn't mind letting me know what you paid (in a PM), that would help.

16. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Like you Larry, I have no idea on what a reasonable offer is. Also with everything going on, for now I am sitting tight on any purchases I don't need. Also before I spent anything close to that amount, I would want to touch it and hear it. The only Hohner experience I have are the 3 that I own. So for me to buy something, I want to to play it to make sure it feels right.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. Rockin Gramps

Awesome Larry... Loved it! Good “clean” fun!!!

LGOberean likes this.
  18. Rockin Gramps

It is worth whatever someone’s willing to pay for it as we all know. As you figure in the appreciation of a vintage all solid wood guitar the value of the modern dollar I think your spot on in the 1,500.00 range. Of course having it in your hands to play, inspect, and feel is everything. Impossible to do w/online sales. I believe the seller said they are the original owner. The seller really needs to post more and better pics at that asking price. My observation was the fret board is in need of a good cleaning which opens the door to what else am I maybe missing. Purchasing w/o handling / inspecting it at 1,000 -1,200 wouldn’t be unreasonable but still on the risky side. It appears to already have had at least on offer on it.

Attention K-mart shoppers....

19. Rockin Gramps

Oops my bad. It already sold after 3 offers

as you were...

20. LGOberean

Well, drats! :(

But that's a relief! :twisted:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.