Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

Thanks for posting the pic of Bucky’s HG-805. Definitely has a bone look to it and is shaped like my wood bridge. The 805 retailed for around 200.00+ more then the 810 & 815 so it’s possible it had a bone saddle on it. Somewhere out there is more info in a catalog, brochure, advertisement about these 800 models then just a suggested retail price listing. To bad somebody swapped yours out w/a tune-o-matic style. Maybe the original was damaged or wouldn’t allow the proper intonation.
    Beautiful guitar regardless, I’m sure it sounds & plays great.

2. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

I may have a bone saddle made for my 805 to put it back as original. Thanks for making me aware of the mod. I had not looked that closely until you brought it up. I guess that shows the value of this forum.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Nothing new to report, just chiming in. I have a trip coming up, and so this may be my last post to this thread through the weekend.

Today I was trying to decide which guitar to take with me. I thought of one of my parlors, since it would take up less space in the vehicle. But after playing it a bit, I wanted a fuller tone. So even though my Hohners are both dreads and therefore take up more real estate in the SUV, I'm figuring one of them. I'm going to see my brother on this trip, and he's loved my old G-940 ever since I got her. But I finished playing my HG-905 that I got from @leftcoastarborist last year. I thought I'd pick it up for just a minute, but 1 minute led to 30.

Decisions, decisions...

4. lavrgs

lavrgs TDPRI Member

...take both

LGOberean likes this.
  5. LGOberean

Maybe you missed the part about wanting to conserve space. :lol:

6. envirodat

envirodat TDPRI Member

Have fun on the trip and as lavrgs says, take both. You can get food there and everyone packs more clothes than they need. This way you can compare the sounds in different environments. All in the name of science and the joy you will feel playing both

7. LGOberean

Okay, I'm back from the trip and trying to get caught up on TDPRI before supper.

I ended up taking just the G-940. It was the right call. My younger brother was sick the first two days we were there, so I didn't even see him until the afternoon when we were getting ready to leave. So I let him play my 940 in Mom's living room while I was outside breaking "camp." We actually just "boondocked" on our farm, but there's still a lot of work to do to get loaded up and back on the road. When I came in after the trailer was hitched up, before saying goodbye (and reclaiming my Hohner) he played for me a new song that he wrote. I didn't think to video his song; I guess I was too focused on getting on the road so we could make our next destination (Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose, Texas) and set up camp.

But the song has some history to it, so bear with me while I tell you the story. Our father was a guitar player, too (also played banjo) and he grew up in that community. One man about my father's age, a Mr. Moore, played guitar with Dad. Fast forward to 1989, when our father was fighting his (losing) battle with lymphoma. (He died in October of that year.) Mr. Moore organized a pickin' 'n grinnin' session with some of the local musicians. It was the last time Dad got to play guitar. Our family will always be grateful to Mr. Moore for doing that.

Fast forward a couple of decades or so, and I had a chance to visit Mr. Moore at his home. He took me out to his guitar room, where I played several of his guitars. We played and sang together. And within the last year, my kid brother got to visit with and play guitars with Mr. Moore as well. At that time he told my brother, "I know you've written a bunch of songs. I have an idea for a waltz that I've never been able to turn into a song. It's yours if you want it." So my brother wrote that waltz, and debuted it for me this past Saturday on my Hohner G-940.

I'll be visiting family on the farm 2-3 more times this year, and I'll try to have the presence of mind to video that song. But for now, just so this post isn't totally devoid of photographic evidence of my Hohner on this trip, here are some pics of me playing the 940 at our campsite in the Dinosaur Valley State Park this past Saturday evening.
    02-22-2020 - Dinosaur Valley State Park, playing my Hohner G-940 - 1.jpg 02-22-2020 - Dinosaur Valley State Park, playing my Hohner G-940 - 2.jpg 02-22-2020 - Dinosaur Valley State Park, playing my Hohner G-940 - 3.jpg

8. envirodat

envirodat TDPRI Member

Nice to have you back and loved the story. Mr. Moore sounds like a nice person.

LGOberean likes this.
  9. leftcoastarborist

It’s great that you and your wife are enjoying your trailer camping. Your story about your dad and Mr. Moore is wonderful. I look forward to hearing the song your brother finished writing for Mr. Moore.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. leftcoastarborist

I found a Orion 2004 Blue Book for guitars and musical instruments at a used book store yesterday. Many of you may find the Hohner information interesting. Like the vintage guitar list from Hohner, some models are not listed but the info it has is of value.
    Pictures on the way.

Attached Files:

11. leftcoastarborist

One more picture.

Attached Files:

12. LGOberean

Lee, thanks for posting those. I rotated the images left 90 degrees, then cropped and enlarged them a bit so I could read them easier. I just figured I'd post my edits of those images here.

upload_2020-2-27_23-24-42.png
    upload_2020-2-27_23-25-22.png
    upload_2020-2-27_23-27-59.png

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  13. leftcoastarborist

Thanks Larry, I am not good at manipulating things like that. Lucky to get the pics sent.

LGOberean likes this.
  14. Rockin Gramps

Good info guys, thanks for sharing. Wish I could score a few at those prices, but as we know they’ve gone up in value not down.

I did purchase an HG-340 for 329.99 recently which I felt was a good price.

Having fun working on a bunch of Beatles tunes recently.

15. leftcoastarborist

I have a HG-340. Great guitar. You got yours for a very good price. Send pictures when you can.

16. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Holic

I just bought this for my 2 year old granddaughters upcoming birthday. :lol: Never too young to get them started.

52036134-8EEE-40E0-8099-891021D88383.jpeg

17. leftcoastarborist

Wish I had started at that age instead of my 70s.
    Looks like that guitar is new old stock. Great job!

18. leftcoastarborist

Hi Bill (environdat), A HG-805 showed up yesterday on Reverb. Some mods but looks pretty good.

19. LGOberean

Yeah, Beatles' tunes. My Dad played guitar, so my influences predate the Fab Four, but I was definitely one of those kids sitting in front of the TV set watching them on Ed Sullivan 56 years ago this month. So I've been playing there songs for decades.

Let's compare notes. Which Beatles' tunes are in your repertoire or you're working on? (Others besides RG are welcome to chime in on this, of course.)

I have a couple of dozen of their tunes in my performance repertoire. There are others that I don't perform for others, because I haven't gotten the song down to my satisfaction. Others I've changed the lyrics to, or just don't sing the lyrics. That applies mostly to John Lennon's stuff. His dopey lyrics (i.e., nonsensical and/or drug-induced) are often a mystery, and in most cases probably a mystery I wouldn't care to have solved.

So, for example, I've changed the lyrics to "Come Together" but I don't perform my "improved" version except for friends and family. And his "I Dig a Pony" I just play instrumentally. Come to think of it, I have used that one in performance, but as what I call "music to ignore me by." Patrons of restaurants and coffee shops often treat musicians like they're flesh-covered radios, so sometimes I just play things for myself, filling the time with instrumentals.

20. Rockin Gramps

That’s cool Larry. I saw a cover band called “Yesterday” who performs in Las Vegas regularly. They were here the weekend b4 last. They played at Stargazers, a cool music venue here in Colorado Springs. They’re awesome an it rekindled an sparked my love for Beatles music. Before this don’t think I ever tried to play much beside Sgt Pepper’s, Blackbird, G Harrison’s My Sweet Lord, J Lennon’s Happy Christmas (War is Over)

Songs I’ve been playing / learning recently include Yesterday; Nowhere Man; I Saw Her Standing There; Drive My Car; Back in the USSR; Something; I have a couple nice Beatles tab songbooks and was also using Ultimate Guitar for reference. I use the “digitech trio pedal” on the electric guitar songs to get a nice bass line and drum tracks which makes it fun. A one man band. I’m sure I’ll learn a few others while I’m at it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.