1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

We
    Welcome aboard Wade!

Great guitar you found there, no doubt it’ll get played, loved, an reborn in your hands.

2. Rockin Gramps

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, that Hohner DR550CE with a B-bender is quite unique. I copied and pasted a pic from the ad.
    upload_2020-2-3_17-41-52.png

About the B-bender, the ad copy for that Reverb.com listing says "A Parsons B Bender was hand fabricated and installed by expert technician Bill Bores." So it doesn't actually say that the B-bender is an aftermarket addition/modification, but I'm sure that it is.

4. LGOberean

Last night I meant to post more about the DR-550CE model on sale, but I got sidetracked. Some may remember that I used to own a Hohner DR-550 dreadnought. I've posted about it before, including pics, but for convenience here are the details and the pics.

My Arbor series Hohner G-940 was my only guitar from 1983 until the year 2000. At the turn of the century, I had an empty nest and began to consider playing out/gigging. I thought about the possibility of using my 940 for gigs, but was nervous about it. So I began to look for another 900/Arbor Series Hohner. I never found one, whether because of the right condition, right time or right price, I don't recall now. So I went another direction for acoustic/electric, but still wished I could gig with my Hohner.

Fast forward to 2011, and my searches turned me on to the 500 Series, which was made from 2008-2011. That year they were discontinued, and it seemed like that discontinuance resulted in quite a few of them showing up in eBay auctions/listings. I wanted the top of the line, the DR-550CE. The eBay store I found (this is from memory, but IIRC it was Butler's Music) said they had the acoustic/electric one with the cutaway, so I bought it. When it arrived, it was the DR-550, the non-cutaway, strictly acoustic version. I talked with the owner of Butler's Music and worked out an arrangement, and just kept the guitar. This was in September of 2011. I don't have it anymore, but it's still in the family. Several years ago I gave it to my son.

The DR-550 acoustic dreadnought had a solid cedar top, and solid rosewood back & sides. The body and the neck had (flame?) maple binding. The top of the body has nice purfling, with the same purfling as a backstrip on the back.The tuners were gold Grover 18/1 gear ratio. It had a one-piece mahogany neck, ebony fretboard & bridge, and custom abalone inlays for the headstock logo and fret position markers. The nut and saddle were AATUSQ by Nubone. And it had a matte natural finish. Some of the specs sheets and online listings have some discrepancies. I've seen more than once the claim that the DR-550 AND dr-550CE had ebony buttons on the tuning machines. All I can say to that is mine did not, just the gold-plated Grover tuners, and pictures I've seen of others were like mine. Oh, and I've seen pics of it with a pickguard, but mine didn't come with one.

Mine didn't arrive in perfect condition. One thing was a minor detail: the action was too high. But it wasn't unplayable, and I left it that way because I was considering using it for slide. The other issue, however, was more problematic: the nut wasn't seated right. It protruded ever so slightly from the treble side. Consequently, the high E string was just right on the edge of the fretboard. It could have been a relatively easy fix, but I'd never attempted replacing a nut, so I kept putting it off. When I offered it to my son, I did so with full disclosure, and he took it, because he's good at that kind of repair.

Those two things aside, it was a good guitar. All solid woods, light as a feather, resonant. Most of my acoustics have been spruce and mahogany, so this cedar top with rosewood back & sides was a change, and a delightful one. The cedar is not as punchy as the spruce, and has a warm tone. The rosewood contributed harmonic complexity to the mix. So if you happen to find one, if it's in good condition it should be a really nice guitar. Just giving y'all a heads up. Here are pics of mine. The first one is it is pictured side-by-side with my G-940.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

envirodat likes this.
  5. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

That is a pretty guitar. Would be nice to hear it play. I also appreciate the back stories on them and the details. Thank you. When someone explains the details about the guitar it helps me learn more. Does he still play the guitar?

On a side note I will soon be adding another Lee guitar to my family. I am looking forward to updating my profile picture with the HG-25 that I just got from him and even more of putting on new strings and playing it when it arrives this weekend.

6. LGOberean

For more on the 2008-2011 Hohner 500 Series...

That Hohner 500 Series guitars debuted in 2008. My impression was that Hohner was trying again to offer well-made intermediate level acoustic guitars. I thought of them as Hohner’s 21st century Arbor Series. Hohner’s description on their website and in catalogs said, “The 500 Series guitars blend professional quality/features with affordability.” There were a total of nine guitars in the series, dreadnoughts offered with maple binding, ebony fretboard and bridge, etc.

Like the Arbor Series before it, the 500 Series line of guitars didn’t get the attention it deserved, and so the series was discontinued in 2011. But through most of that year, the information about the 500 Series guitars was accessible from Hohner’s website. I accessed and copied the information into a Microsoft Word file on September 15, 2011, 11:59am.

Years later, I did find a website that had images of the pages of a 2009 Hohner catalog: “2009 Guitars by Hohner Musical Instruments.” (That’s a translation of the German URL: Gitarren 2009 von Hohner Musikinstrumente. The pages of the catalog were actually in English.) If you want to look up the images of that catalog’s pages, here is the link: http://www.produkte24.com/cy/hohner-musikinstrumente-5112/gitarren-2009-26302.html.

I created the table below to list the models in the series, the descriptions, and the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP), whether is euros or US dollars. In the case of the two “DL” models (Dreadnought Lacewood), I had the MSRP in US dollars. For the “DK” (Dreadnought Java Koa) and “DR” (Dreadnought Rosewood) models, I somehow didn’t record the MSRP, but I found a price list online in German: Hohner Elektrische & Akustische Gitarren & Bässe 2009 (“Hohner Electric & Acoustic Guitars & Basses, 2009.”)

The page was valid from February 1, 2009 (Gültig ab 01.02.09). The column for the price was labeled VK or Verkaufspreis (retail price). The euro to US dollar exchange rate was $1.39 in the year 2009. So the manufacturer’s suggested retail price of 1,060 euros for the DR-550CE was equivalent to $1,473.4 in 2009. Here is the link to that online price list: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/558554/hohner-elektrische-akustische-gitarren-basse-2009.

upload_2020-2-4_18-6-20.png

upload_2020-2-4_18-10-30.png

Attached Files:

7. LGOberean

I haven't asked him about it lately. They moved from Corpus Christi a number of years ago. My son and his wife have six kids, three still at home. The way my son wound up without an acoustic guitar in the first place probably had to do with his one of his kids laying claim to it. And though I haven't asked, it wouldn't surprise me if one my granddaughters winds up with that DR-550. They were down for a Christmas visit, and I found out he didn't have an acoustic. I offered it to him, he accepted. But even before they left our house, the guitar wound up in his oldest daughter's hands. She's gone off to school now, so maybe she got the guitar. I don't know.

I don't ask about it because I want him to be free to do what he wants with what I give as a gift. Also, he's always worked with his hands in carpentry and the like, and was an auto and motorcycle menchanic over the years. He's damaged his hands to the extent that now he has trouble playing.

Well, I'll look forward to seeing your pics of your growing collection.

8. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

No idea how you found all of that but now it makes me want to find a vintage Hohner Ukulele:p

Thanks for sharing!

LGOberean likes this.
  9. LGOberean

I'm on a roll with Hohner research. Sorry...:oops:

upload_2020-2-4_21-45-30.png

upload_2020-2-4_21-44-11.png
    upload_2020-2-4_21-44-45.png

10. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Very cool and good to see you posting back here again. It was a while and was wondering how you were doing.

11. Beebo

Beebo TDPRI Member

I definitely noticed the volume over most of the other acoustics that I own. It's very bright and punchy. I haven't owned it long enough to go through different sets of strings yet. Have you found a set that pairs nicely with the 905?

I've always been fond of pawn shops. Even if their guitar selections often aren't any good, they usually at least have a decent pedal or two. Also, 99% of the time the sales guys are on some sort of commission structure and therefore much more willing to make a deal. The only downside to it now is with the internet, everyone has access to rough values of the guitars, so they are priced right most of the time.

BB likes this.
  12. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

I am still pretty new to guitar so am not able to speak from long time experience with wide variety of strings. I have used D’Addario, Elixer and Martin. Mostly Phosphor bronze 11 and 12. Many participants on this forum can provide much more detailed information about feel, longevity, effects on volume and sound.
    One thing I am sure of though - there are going to be lots of opinions.

13. Rockin Gramps

14. Rockin Gramps

Good to hear from you Larry, thanks for all the info an research.

enjoyed your live music video clips too.

RG

15. Rockin Gramps

Looking back at your HG-805 it appears someone swapped out the original bridge. The original was a wood bridge. See pic. Someone removed the pick guard an pick up covers off of my HG-815

23419BA2-990C-47F3-9ACE-4AAD74BA577D.jpeg

16. leftcoastarborist

You may be right about that RockinGramps. I had pictures of the 805 that Bucky Barrett owns but cannot seem to find them. If I do find them I will compare mine to his and let you know.
    Lee

17. leftcoastarborist

I found the pictures of Bucky Barrett’s HG-805. His guitar has a rosewood bridge with what appears to be a bone saddle. My 805 has the rosewood bridge and the saddle is metal with adjustments for intonation on each string. Other than the saddle our guitars look identical. I wonder if Terada used different saddle material on different models within the 800 series.

18. Rockin Gramps

can you post the pic of his guitar or the link to the pic

19. leftcoastarborist

12BCBBF0-8B3D-42FA-A11B-985589A53237.jpeg

envirodat likes this.
  20. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

that is beautiful!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.