Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Hi Everyone. Good to hear your brother likes the HG-905 Larry.

Good to have you participating again Jerry.

As to the bearclaw spruce. The HG-905 I have now has a much more distinct grain pattern to it than Larry’s. The former owner called it “ Canadian bearclaw spruce “ I will send some close up pictures of the guitar as soon as I can find the time.

The descriptions of bearclaw spruce from various sources that Larry provided are interesting. First time I have seen that.

I do believe the HG-905 was built by Yari based on the way the neck and volute are carved and the octagon shaped tuning machines ( they are like other Yari branded guitars I have seen, and different than my other 900 series guitars ). As for the K on the neck block some of my guitars have that but the 905 does not.
    I am unsure of the builders of my G-910, HG-930 and HG-940. There are quite a few differences from the HG-905.

Will try to get those pictures out soon. Lee

2. leftcoastarborist

Here are the pictures of my HG-905 showing the Canadian bearclaw spruce top, carving of neck and volute and octagon shaped tuners.

Also for Larry, pictures of the package of Martin bluegrass strings on your HG-905.

Attached Files:

LGOberean likes this.
  3. leftcoastarborist

86D2FE0E-3BD8-46B1-981A-1DB3673147EA.jpeg 6F5C6DB1-C3A9-442C-B890-C57378C38798.jpeg Not sure why some of the pictures did not come through. Will try again.

Attached Files:

LGOberean likes this.
  4. leftcoastarborist

E9D3F613-7E0A-43A6-A811-AF9B7DD45699.jpeg 3AED2923-5E4D-43D7-8A73-0242EA482C3D.jpeg 9699C7D6-56E1-442C-9E68-ACC9B26C8032.jpeg Ferlin, here are pictures of the Hohner 5w Hoodo box tube amp.

LGOberean and ferlin like this.
  5. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

Hi guys.
    Larry, thanks for all the info on bear-claw spruce. Sounds like its a desirable attribute. I know its very hard to photograph to any degree of showing it accurately, especially when you have an inferior phone camera, like I have. And when the bearclaw itself changes when viewed from different angles, well its nearly impossible to photograph. I also have a Kay flat top from the late 50's with a similar spruce bearclaw appearance, though different than the Hohner look.
    I'm still thinning my guitar herd. Shipped out a Alvarez Yairi last week that I bought new in '72. The three on the block now are an Ibanez Musician, a Dobro resonator, and my old Kay upright bass. Sad to see them go, but they just aren't getting the use. I'm holding off on my HG 912 and 920 for now, but they too might have to go. We'll see what a doctors visit next month leads me to do.
    Thanks guys - nice sharing information with you.

6. leftcoastarborist

Hi Jerry. I hope your doctor says “ buy a few more Hohner guitars and see me in a week “.

Let me know if the HG-920 really must go.

Best of everything to you. Lee

7. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

Hi Lee, nice to hear from you. My health isn't the only reason I'm selling some of my instruments, but it's a contributing factor. In a way it's kind of amazing to watch the sales process on Reverb. What I mean is, and this has just been my recent limited experience, I'll put a guitar up for sale at what I believe is a realistic price with a best offer option. I'll get some early, unrealistic offers and then it'll go quiet for awhile. But the last two guitars I sold went to guys giving me my full price with a comment like "a fair deal for both of us." I like that. Both of these recent buyers became friends sorta speak, by sharing their stories, and me back to them. Softens the blow for me.
    When I think about selling my Hohners someday, I always come up against a wall when it comes to pricing. Not enough of them being sold to create a pattern. Or maybe I just haven't looked enough to see one.
    Anyway Lee, good luck and enjoy the week. It's cold, damp and dreary here in northern Minnesota. Summer will start in about a month, last for three months and then winter will be on the horizon again. But my yearly Robert Zimmerman (Bob Dylan) fest is coming up soon, so I'm looking forward to that.
    Talk again soon.
    Jerry

8. Herbmac2

Herbmac2 TDPRI Member

9. Herbmac2

Herbmac2 TDPRI Member

Do you have any info about an HG 29 5034.jpeg

10. Herbmac2

Herbmac2 TDPRI Member

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I just did a quick check of my Fjestad's. Sorry, the HG-28 model isn't listed there. :(

By "Fjestad's" I mean the Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars, 11th Ed. Minneapolis, MN: Blue Book Publications, Inc., 2007. Text by Zachary R. Fjestad, edited by S. P. Fjestad. Pages 322-327 cover Hohner guitars. It's really helpful for general information on the Hohner company up to that point of publication, and for the specific models it did cover in that edition. But it just doesn't cover everything Hohner produced in Hohner's history.

BTW, there's also a Fjestad's Blue Book of Electric Guitars, and I have the 11th edition of that volume as well. Same deal; helpful, but doesn't cover everything.

12. LGOberean

I've been trying to make out the paper label inside the soundhole of your HG-28. It looks to be the same as this one I found on the Internet...
    [​IMG]

However, it appears that yours also has a date stamp on the label, underneath and just to the left of the words "HOHNER INTERNATIONAL." I can't really make it out, but if I were to guess, it looks like it reads "9 79." If I'm right, that fits what little information can be gleaned from the "Hohner Historical Models" document, that the HG-28 model was made from 1978-1985. Is there any other information stamped on the back of the guitar, or the heel block to indicate its place of origin? The '78-'85 range could mean yours was made in either Japan or Korea. If that date stamp is for 1979, I would assume yours was made in Japan.

13. LGOberean

Hmmm...I just noticed something in that pic I borrowed from the Internet. On the label under the model # it reads "Made in Korea." Herbmac2, the label in yours looks the same, but I'm not sure. It's hard to make out in the pic as is, and when I try to enlarge it, the resolution is poor. Does it say "Made in Korea" as well?

14. leftcoastarborist

CA2CF8E1-4754-4A96-8F50-DF2CB81FA6A0.jpeg 29BADF89-D050-4DF5-9774-91EEB6E831A4.jpeg 562CA60B-65B2-4A24-B7F1-E68051791FCF.jpeg 8A1B46BE-0E00-4656-A580-67848ADFF941.jpeg D55E71D4-4663-4F50-AEA7-DD4AC3D0652F.jpeg 06D08742-3F0A-479C-B3D9-F657C53D0090.jpeg 83301FD7-A4F0-47E9-AAA2-5BA33689B590.jpeg 59E45486-8BEA-41F4-B195-2ED0F6441A74.jpeg 4A0116E6-6DC9-4859-91D5-DD2C193EBDEA.jpeg Some pictures of a newly aquired HG-25 classical guitar. Also an unusual feature of the case it came in.
    The guitar is a step up from my HG-14. The carved design on the headstock, the inlaid binding, the beautiful Makassa ( ebony ) back and sides.
    The unusual case feature is a cloth cover for the body after the instrument is put into the case.

envirodat and ferlin like this.
  15. leftcoastarborist

Did not get a good picture of the carving on headstock of the HG-25 in the last post so here it is.

Attached Files:

lavrgs and ferlin like this.
  16. barefootdesigns

barefootdesigns TDPRI Member

[QUOTE="leftcoastarborist, post: 9099423, member:
    The unusual case feature is a cloth cover for the body after the instrument is put into the case.[/QUOTE]

That "unusual feature" is the kind of coddling that companies give to their very best, most expensive guitars. It's not seen very much because it is really special. Also, the case would be quite well made. These premium cases are very expensive.

17. leftcoastarborist

Thanks for confirming what I thought might be the case. I had not seen this before.

18. ferlin

ferlin Tele-Meister

What a score!

19. leftcoastarborist

I may have to store some of these Hohner guitars at your house ferlin.

20. ferlin

ferlin Tele-Meister

I've got plenty of room, but can't guarantee that you'll ever get them back. On second thought, just send the HG-25. I'll return it, I promise;)

Edit: Why on earth would anyone sell something that pretty.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.