Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Lee, I remember the story of your getting 905 with the 940. I’ve got to leave for another afternoon gig in about 20 minutes, so I don’t really have time now to talk. I’ll email you this evening.

2. LGOberean

Okay, in the last four days Lee and I have exchanged a number of emails, and this is gonna happen. I'm getting his extra HG-905 to add to my collection. With going into specifics of the deal, I'll just say that Lee was very generous.

Besides my beloved G-940 that will be with me until I die, I've had several Hohners pass into and out of my collection over the years. None of them was of Japanese vintage from the Arbor/900 series of 1978-1985. The one that came closest to that quality was the DR550, which was all solid woods with maple binding. I kinda wish I still had that one, but since I gave it to my son, I can get occasional visitation rights. :twisted:

Anyway, I'm really excited about finally having another Arbor/900 series Japanese Hohner in my collection. Should arrive later this week. I plan to do some demo videos and A/B comparisons, which I will of course post here.

Toward that end, I purchased just this morning a mic/preamp system to help make those recordings, the IK Multimedia iRig Acoustic Stage. And just a heads up/PSA in case anyone here is interested, this iRig system has had a price drop, from $100 to $80. (Okay, okay...$99.99 to $79.99. :twisted:) I created a thread about this if anyone's interested...

ferlin and BB like this.
  3. LGOberean

UPDATE: The Hohner HG-905 I acquired from Lee arrived about an hour ago! I unpacked it, tuned it up, played it for about 45 minutes, then took a picture and came into my office to email Lee. Now I'm posting here.

I haven't done a back-to-back comparison of both Hohners yet, but this 905 seems louder than my G-940. I love the wood grains and the patina on the spruce top of the 905. It looks great next to my 940 hanging on the wall, like they've been together all their lives. (See pic below.)

I will in the days ahead have my wife get some video of me playing both. That iRig Acoustic Stage system I mentioned came last night, but it's defective, :( so I'm waiting on Sweetwater to send me another one. So anything I do at this point will just be the sound quality from my wife's cell phone. I might still do a short one of those cell phone demos though.

Thanks again, Lee! I'm so stoked!
    [​IMG]

04-05-2019 - Hohner G-940 & Hohner HG-905.jpeg

EDIT/UPDATED UPDATE: Just a quick demo video. My wife had to talk me through how to get YouTube on my cell phone, then she "air-dropped" o_O this video to my phone. So here ya go...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  4. ferlin

ferlin Tele-Meister

Sounds good and came through surprisingly well on the cell phone.

LGOberean likes this.
  5. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Sounds much better than when I tried playing it. I really do need to quit collecting guitars and concentrate on learning to play them.

lavrgs and BB like this.
  6. LGOberean

Thanks, guys.

Well, this morning some thunderstorms came through, and really gave us a good pounding. A transformer even blew, so we were without power. I was supposed to play a Market Day gig at a marina that I've played for before, but they called it on account of the rain. This was a loss of a $150 + tips gig, and couldn't even plug in any gear to play and console myself. So I played a medley of "Rainy Days & Mondays" and "Goodbye to Love" on my newly acquired Hohner HG-905 acoustic. That made me feel better. ;)

7. LGOberean

Okay, update about that iRig Acoustic Stage system. Sweetwater sent out a replacement unit, which arrived late yesterday afternoon, and this one works as it should. I haven't yet fully put the iRig through its paces, but I have tried it out on both my old G-940 and my newly acquired HG-905, lining out from the iRig preamp to my Fishman Loudbox Mini. It works well. I should have the option for gigging with the 905 which I may do soon.

One thing I've wanted to do with this is to amplify both of my Hohners so that I can do another video, this time comparing the two via the same amplification rig (Hohner + iRig + Loudbox Mini). I'm thinking for that A/B demo I'll first change the strings on both guitars so that they are as equal as they can be. I'm not ready to take that little project on just yet. I've got a gig tomorrow night, then gigs Monday through Thursday of next week before leaving for a vacation/anniversary celebration on Friday. So it'll probably be a few weeks before I get that video done. But now that the working iRig is here, I'm one step closer.

leftcoastarborist likes this.
  8. leftcoastarborist

Happy anniversary to you and your bride Larry.

Glad your iRig works. What strings will you use on the guitars? It will be interesting to get your report.

Be safe on your trip and have a great time.

LGOberean likes this.
  9. LGOberean

Thanks, Lee. BTW, I did a review/initial impressions thread on the iRig system: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ik-multimedia-irig-acoustic-stage-initial-impressions.943078/.

As for strings, I'm really enjoying the Martin strings it came with, but I have good supply of D'Addario strings on hand. I tend to buy them when they go on sale, so I've got a couple of 12-packs of D'Addario EJ16s (their Phosphor Bronze Light set, .012-.053), plus a couple of individual sets. So when I'm ready to change strings on the 940, I'll change them on the 905 as well. That way the A/B comparison will be on equal footing, strings-wise.

10. leftcoastarborist

Just recently found this G-328 dreadnought. Had not seen this model before. It has a solid spruce top, rosewood sides and back ( laminated I think ), mahogany neck, rosewood finger board and bridge, gold tuners. The neck and volute are carved the same as my HG-340 and HG-905 (slightly different than my G-910, HG-930 and HG-940 ). The bridge and pick guard are the same shape as the HG-900 and G-900 series guitars.

Attached Files:

LGOberean and ferlin like this.
  11. ferlin

ferlin Tele-Meister

And to think that I was impressed when your collection consisted of 4 Hohners.

LGOberean and leftcoastarborist like this.
  12. leftcoastarborist

Hi ferlin, good to see you back.

I keep looking and when the unusual shows up I can’t seem to help myself from buying. The G-328 is interesting in that it was apparently not part of the “Limited Edition” series. Not much bling but a really nice guitar. This one has had a pickup installed so I now have two acoustics modified to plug in.

On that note, I am awaiting delivery of a small Hohner vintage tube amp that will be more portable. It is a Hoodoo Box 5watt amp designed for harmonica but advertised as being a great practice amp for guitar as well. I am interested to hear the difference in tube compared to solid state. I will send pictures when it arrives and let you know the results.

13. LGOberean

Yours is a most impressive collection, Lee. bridgepinSr (David) has quite a few himself, but your collection certainly rivals his. Well, "rivals" may not be the best choice of words, I don't mean to imply a competition. But I think you both have the Lay's Potato Chips mentality on this one: "You can't have just one." :twisted: (David himself came up with that analogy.)

14. leftcoastarborist

My “collection” of Hohner guitars is a desire to gather as much information as possible to pass on to other enthusiasts. I will admit that when the time comes to thin the forest it will be difficult to decide which guitars to keep. If that day came today I would probably keep two of the 900 series, two of the 700 series, two of the 300 series and two of the electrics.

That being said I would still like to have a 950, 370 and one of the 000auditoriums.

15. LGOberean

Thinning that herd of Hohners would indeed be an unenviable task. I'm not sure I could do it. I have sold guitars in the past, but not many. I can count on one hand the number of guitars I've ever sold, and most of the time they were guitars that held less personal history, less sentiment for me. In one instance, I sold a guitar that intended to flip all along. I have also given a couple of guitars as gifts, one of which was a Hohner DR-550 given to my son, which I've talked about here before.

16. leftcoastarborist

Larry, as I said in a previous post “ this is all your fault “.

Because of your inspiring my interest in the Hohner line of guitars I am now surrounded by them. My current investment in these guitars is still far less than it could be in even one of the “ big name “ instruments. Many other enthusiasts of Hohner have contributed interest and passed on a lot of information through this thread that you started many years ago. I hope to contribute to this sharing of knowledge through ownership of a variety of models. Also hope some of the past contributors will again become active on this thread.

17. LGOberean

My wife and I have been gone for a few days. We were visiting my family on our "farm" (it hasn't been a working farm in decades, but we still call it that). The family houses are on a 3-1/2 acre lot, my Mom and my younger brother live there. My sister lives in the town nearby.

For the purposes of Hohner discussion, my brother is a guitar player, he makes his living as a musician up there in the surrounding towns and on into Ft. Worth, which is about 45 miles northeast of our farm. He has played my Hohner G-940 every chance he could get throughout the years, and has jokingly said he'll arm wrestle my son for it when I'm gone. So, I took my newly acquired Hohner HG-905 on this trip, and when we sat down in Mom's living room and broke out the guitars, he thought he recognized an old friend and picked it up and said, "Okay, you can play mine, and I'll play this."

After a few minutes, I asked him "What do you think of it?" He looked at me confused and said, "I've played this guitar before." To which I replied, "Oh, no, you haven't." A look of confusion came over his face, and he turned the guitar over in his hands and said, "Wait...what...?!?" And then I told him what he had in his hands. It was sure fun to pull that over on him, and fun to see him enjoying my 905 like he does my 940.

I meant to get pics and videos of him with it, but he was busy. This past weekend he played 3 gigs, two on Saturday and one on Monday. So after our family meal together, he had to take off. My wife and I actually went to his Saturday night gig to support him and his band.

But I'm digressing from things Hohner. More later...

18. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

Hi guys, it's been awhile. Lee, a few posts back you talked about HG Arbor series guitars being possibly made by Yairi. I've got a HG912 and a HG920, both with a K stamped on the neck block. Has there been discussion linking that stamped K to Kazuo Yairi? Maybe there has been discussion that I've missed or forgotten.
    Another thing of interest to me is that both of my Hohners exhibit the bear claw spruce top which I initially didn't care for. Somewhere along the line my likes changed and I now love that unique look. Makes me wonder about things like, how common is that grade of spruce? Were those tops all from a definable time period? Is that grade of spruce somewhat common in other brand guitars, and on and on. Can we look at bear claw spruce top HG Hohners as a unique subset of the Arbor series?
    I'd appreciate some opinions from those of you much more knowledgeable in Hohners than I am.
    Thank you.

19. LGOberean

Jerry, I don't remember ever seeing a pic of your 912 and 920 here in this thread. I did look in the Facebook Vintage Hohner Acoustic Group, and saw a pic of them, as well as your Hohner Contessa classical and HG-700 (do you still have that one?). That picture was a group shot of the four, not a close-up on the body of any one of the guitars, so it isn't real clear to my old eyes that they have bear claw figuring. I know that the figuring can be quite subtle as well as quite pronounced. I would assume yours fall into the latter category?

As you've probably seen here and/or on Facebook, I recently acquired an HG-905 from Lee. Not long before I did, he described it in this thread as having "a Canadian bear claw spruce" top. It's very subtle. Looking at the top from a certain angle, the figuring gives a sort of dimensional "shimmer" (for want of a better term) to the grains. Here are some more pics I took of the guitar today. The last two pics are basically the same angle/close-up, the first taken without flash, the other with.
    04-23-2019 - My Hohner HG-905 - 1.jpg 04-23-2019 - My Hohner HG-905 - 2.jpg 04-23-2019 - My Hohner HG-905 - 3.jpg 04-23-2019 - My Hohner HG-905 - 4.jpg 04-23-2019 - My Hohner HG-905 - 5.jpg 04-23-2019 - My Hohner HG-905 - 6.jpg 04-23-2019 - My Hohner HG-905 - 7.jpg

20. LGOberean

Oh, and as for your question about how common bear claw figuring on spruce is, I've seen some claims on that. I don't have the experience to confirm or contradict the information, so I'll just pass it on. Over in the Mandolin Cafe forum, a member whose username is "Spruce" from Orcas Island, Washington commented about this several years ago. To quote him...

Others have posited the theory that "Bear-claw" Spruce tops are uncommon simply because the use of tops without these kinds of aesthetic 'flaws' is far more traditional.

Here is what Dana Bourgeois has to say about bearclaw...

Here is what Breedlove Guitars has to say about Bearclaw Sitka Spruce...

Here is what Goodall Guitars says about Bear Claw Sitka Spruce...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.