Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Jerry, I've looked at this request several times, and wanted to respond, but the truth is, I don't have much in the way of definitive I can add to the discussion. The "G"/"HG" designations from what I can tell are interchangeable. In other words, they don't refer to two different models of Hohner guitars. The only Arbor series Hohner I've owned or even seen in person is my G-940. But even though the model designation doesn't begin with "HG," mine is clearly from the Arbor series.

I bought it new here in Corpus Christi, TX in the spring of 1983, April, I think. But that doesn't necessarily tell me when it was made. I have no idea how long that guitar had been hanging around in the local shop. The store owner was definitely trying to steer me toward it, maybe because he'd had it a while and it just wasn't getting attention because it wasn't a Martin or Gibson. At the time, I wasn't aware of the Arbor series Hohners. But although it may have been self-serving on his part to hard sell that Hohner, I'm certainly glad I did. It's been almost 35 years ago now, but if memory serves, I don't think I looked at another guitar after getting that one in my hands.

But I digress. All of that to say that I don't know exactly how old mine is; I just know when I bought it. And I know that it's an Arbor series Hohner, despite not having the "HG" model # designation, and that it was made in Japan. Here are some close-up pics of inside the soundhole, starting with one I just took...

In that third pic, one of the braces on the bass side has stamped on it "S13." I don't know what that means, though.

2. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

3. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

Hi is it possible to take a few close up pics of the HG950 especially the wood binding? Many thanks

4. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

Sorry im new here, please bear with me while I get the hang of it! I have 3 Hohners that I will post shortly.

5. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

[​IMG] Hope this works! Here is a pic of my rare G302S from 1980. Made with brass saddle and brass nut. Love this guitar for it's nice solid woody tone. Mahogany back and sides. Moon and stars on fret board and eclipse pick guard!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  6. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

Hi I know this is an old post, I've been very interested in Hohner HG series for many years. I live in the UK and finding these gems is even more difficult than you can believe! I currently own 3 models, but I was wondering if you would be so kind as to post some picsof the HG 950?

I have what I believe to be one....but I need some verification if thats ok?

Many thanks

7. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

Beautiful guitar!

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Deleted due to unintended repetition.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  9. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

My apologies for posting twice, had sorted it now.

10. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

No, I messed up, not you...

11. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

I see. No probs

12. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

Here is my Hohner HG 950. As you can see it is different to the Hohner HG 950 as this one is branded Luxor. But it was made for the European market and as a result it was rebranded. The only difference being, headstock logo, pickguard and bridge design. Otherwise it is the same. Often in different parts of the world, guitar's were sometimes rebadged/rebranded.

The guitar is all solid, with 'Martin' style scalloped bracing and it sounds incredible. Very resonant guitar. I currently own 3 Hohner guitar's. They really are true gems.

Attached Files:

LGOberean likes this.
  13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting. I knew that the Japanese factories in the 1970s were producing guitars that would be, as you said, "rebadged/rebranded." But I wasn't familiar with that Luxor brand, and I had no idea they had a model that had features in common with the Hohner Arbor series. As you said, the pickguard, logo and bridge design are different, and I think the rosette around the soundhole is different as well. But the triangular wood ("maple") inlays on the bridge and the fretboard are just like my Hohner G940.

11-25-2017 - My Hohner G940 - 1.jpg

FanofJapan likes this.
  14. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

That's a fine guitar you have there. The Hohner HG and G guitar's are superb as you well know. The sound of my Hohner/Luxor 950 is superb, resonant and rich. They are difficult to obtain especially here in the UK. I have 3 but has taken many years to find.

15. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

A close up of the maple binding.

Attached Files:

16. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

Attached Files:

17. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

The bridge plate needs some attention, but otherwise its in good condition.

18. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

......sorry if this has been shown before.....it is useful info if anyone is interested. The quality is not 100%, but its readable.

Attached Files:

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Hohner Contessa classical guitar, MIJ, probably early 70's. I bought it at a storage unit auction several years ago. It had been strung with steel strings and otherwise damaged but it restored pretty nicely. It has a great tone. The former owner had etched her name and college dorm info on the back.

[​IMG]

FanofJapan likes this.
  20. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

bgmacaw,

I think I have the same guitar. Mine is a Hohner Contessa G-70 model. What model is yours?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.