Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for jogging my memory. Man, yours looks positively mint! :cool: :D

I've always said that guitar playing is cheaper than therapy! ;) Of course, I was speaking of "therapy" in the sense of mental well-being, "therapeutic," as it were. But I can easily believe in its physical therapeutic value.

I can't remember what I used before Meguiar's. Probably something like pledge. Because of the "multi-lacquered, hand rubbed gloss" finish, I didn't worry too much about what I used. Nine years ago I bought my first Logan Custom tele, which has no grain filler and a nitrocellulose lacquer. Bob Logan recommended Meguiar's, so I've been using it ever since. And I figured if it's safe for a thin nitro finish, it'll be fine for my other guitars. So I've been using Meguiar's on my acoustics, including my Hohner, for that long. No problems.
    [​IMG]

2. SWarren

SWarren TDPRI Member

Thought I'd take this opportunity to share my latest acquisition. This is a G-21 M Hohner accoustic. It's a All Mahoghany OM size acoustic. It's got a solid top (I think solid back and sides. Either that or they took a lot of pains to match up the inside and outside grain patterns.).

It sounds gorgeous if you like mahoghany. Definitely an interesting wood for a smaller size guitar. Price was $175 plus shipping. For what it's worth, this is my first time purchasing an acoustic without playing it first. Glad I did though. Only thing I changed was the addition on a new bone nut and bridge pins. The saddle was already bone, but someone replaced the pins with plastic.

A few notes on history. This one is marked as a G-21M AND marked Made In Japan, not Korea. I think the consensus was that all the HG series with the H dropped were made in Korea instead. Apparently there must be some other reason for the missing H :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

Well done. Great guitar!!!

4. LGOberean

Last Thursday I got to play a 1944 Martin 0-17 all mahogany. Here's a link to that thread: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/good-deeds-are-not-always-punished-martin-content.794894/. It is a smaller body size, and it sure had a sweet, warm, woody tone. Of course, I'm sure being 74 years old had something to do with it, too.

My Hohner from the Arbor series of acoustic guitars that I bought in the spring of 1983 is marked as a "G-940", but also definitely says "Made in Japan." I haven't seen or heard of too many others that are Japanese vintage but don't have the "H" in the model #. Good to read about and see this one. Very nice. Congrats.

5. Oskar99

Oskar99 TDPRI Member

Hi guys,

First of everything, I introduce myself, I am another guitar lover like you, from Spain (sorry for my poor English lol) and I'd like to thank you all for the good information you guys leave on this thread. And I wish you all a happy 2018 by the way. XD

I found this site while I was trying to get some information about the Hohner I want to buy. I'll buy it, I don't know anything about it though, I wrote to Hohner service customer, they were very nice to me and waiting for some information about the guitar in question and just landed here to try to get some information, of course I'll share with you my feelings with this guitar when I get it. So thanks in advance.

This is the guitar in question:

P, I don't know what's wrong with the pics. lol I'll try to put the image link instead ... https://ibb.co/euHASR [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  6. LGOberean

¡Felicidades y bienvenidos, Oskar! Y un próspero año nuevo para ti también. Supongo que tu Inglés es mejor que mi Español. (Cuando era un niño, vivía en San Juan, Puerto Rico. Aprendí a hablar Español allí.)

Okay, back to English for others in this discussion thread. I followed the link and copied the image address, then inserted it here...

[​IMG]

It looks like it could be a mahogany stain on the top wood, but I'm guessing, and I'd be guessing about what type of wood it is, or whether or not it's solid or laminate. What is the model number? Does the seller say how old it is? More information would help us help you.

7. Oskar99

Oskar99 TDPRI Member

Jaja, your Spanish is perfect, amigo, it looks like better than mine. XD Caribbean people used to speak the best Spanish from my views.

I asked him for some information about, the guy looks like not very helpful lol, you know like a bit zombie XD. So I decided to buy it for the price he put 60€ (70$ ,not a lot to loose XD), specially love it for that wood, looks like very cool. like lacewood or something like that, like that mahogany you guessing, I don't know actually. He says the guitar stays in tune very well and nothing wrong with the trust-rod, and not idea if the top is laminated or solid, anyway I'll buy it eventually.

Thanks a lot LGOberean. Cheers and salud.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  8. SWarren

SWarren TDPRI Member

Once you get it post up some good pictures :) I'd love to see the model number off of it. The bridge is interesting and looks a bit wider than other models I've seen. Definitely an interesting piece :)

9. SWarren

SWarren TDPRI Member

10. Oskar99

Oskar99 TDPRI Member

SWarren, yes of course, I'll post it up and will try to do a quick review of everything, sure. Firstly I have to buy it though XD, and this buy is turning into a strange experience lol let's see.

Nice picking ;-) ...I remember of buying that Kansas Album when I was a kid, I spent all my little fortune on that Kansas Album in a very traditional flea-market here in Madrid, just for that song. I googled your guitar (G-21M) for a quick view and your guitar looks so good.

11. SWarren

SWarren TDPRI Member

I've been impressed with the guitar so far. So the story on Kansas goes that the intro for dust in the wind was a guitar warm up piece their guitarist played. The rest of the group liked it so much they wrote a song around it :) Definitely a good warm up piece though.

Oskar99 likes this.
  12. Oskar99

Oskar99 TDPRI Member

Didn't know that history, a sweet epic song definitely, epic intros like Hotel California or Stair way to heaven , we'll only need the first two notes to know them. Music is an Universal Language, yeayyy.

I got the guitar finally, I'll have it this afternoon. So I'll write something about when I get it actually, a blind purchase, so all I have to loose is 60€ for a decent piece of wood for barbecues, we all lost much much much, very much money with the global Financial mess anyway ,so no problem to take the risk for a Hohner XD

13. Oskar99

Oskar99 TDPRI Member

A Hohner is a Hohner...why not? XD

A Hohner harmonica + Hohner guitar to do Springsteen's River...nice combination for a great song.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  14. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

Ferlin,
    What a beautiful Hohner you have. I've been looking for a 940 for some time, have found a few but for one reason or another I still don't own one. Any chance yours might be for sale? I doubt it, but I had to ask. Enjoy your retirement,.

15. Oskar99

Oskar99 TDPRI Member

My luthier cleans the guitars with a solution of 1/3 ammonia + 3/4 Water, just get damp a bit a microfiber cloth and that's it. The fret-board with other thing.

My guitar in question is a HW420 TOB, the top is made of Siberian willow ( so If the guitar is not useful I'll make a gulag for bad boys lol love it), not idea if it is solid or not, looks very cool anyway XD. And apart from a buzz in the 6th and 5th string from the 12th fret that I have to sort it out, sounds very very very balance, nice for a studio guitar. Had not much time to check it out, I'll do it along the week.

At the moment, very nice first feeling with the guitar, and I'll be happier when I fix the fret buzz. I think the last owner had a very thin strings on it. so I'll clean the fret board, I'll see the neck and check the frets level, to level them in case and bye bye thin strings. If someone has any recommendation, I'll be glad to hear from you.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  16. ferlin

ferlin Tele-Meister

Thanks! Sorry to say that we can't part ways. This forum may be just the place to find one though.

17. AceChase

AceChase TDPRI Member

I too have a G-940 that says made in Japan. Awesome guitar. I love the neck on it.

18. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

The above quote is from a few pages back. Just for information, I did some research on "obancole" and it's usually used along with mahogany as in "obancole-mahogany". So it looks like it's a type of mahogany, or at least a relative of it.

19. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

Has any further information been found concerning the designation of "HG" or just "G" in the Hohner 900 series guitars? I always assumed that HG stood for Hohner Guitar, and that they were all made in Japan, but now, after reading previous posts, I'm unsure.

I have two Hohners, a HG912 and an HG920. Neither is marked MADE IN JAPAN. And I don't know the history of either to give me a clue where they were made. The designation of G9xx without the H, but marked MADE IN JAPAN just contributes to the mystery.

Is it a confirmed fact that production of the Arbor series actually shifted to Korea at some point? Both of my Hohners have what looks like the letter K on the neck block, but I remember reading that that did not indicate Korean built. True?

Thanks for any help with this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.