Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

2. ferlin

ferlin Tele-Meister

Greetings everyone. I came across this forum in my search for information. I bought an HG-940 in the late 70's if my memory serves me well and often it does not. I want to replace the bridge pins as some are damaged. Does anyone know the specs, "measurements" of the pins or what size pins are used?

3. LGOberean

Welcome to TDPRI and to the Hohner Owners club thread! :)

If you've done much reading in this thread, or searched the Internet, you already know that it is often hard to come by information/specs on Hohner guitars. Generally speaking, the Arbor series guitars, of which your HG-940 is a part, were patterned after Martin dreadnoughts. From what I've read, Martins made before 1994 used 3º shank bridge pins with an average underskirt diameter of 5.40 mm.

What kind of bridge pin material are you looking for? Synthetic or wood? Graph tech? Ebony? The HG-940's pins are wood (ebony, I think?), so if I were to replace mine, I'd go with ebony...but that's me.

By the way, I have a Hohner G-940, bought it in 1983. To my knowledge, there is no difference between those designated G-940 and the HG-940s. I'd sure like to see pics of yours, if you've got 'em. Here's mine...

4. ferlin

ferlin Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info. The pins are ebony. At the moment I'm just trying to determine the correct size and take it from there in deciding the type of pins. I've sent one of my pins to Englands Custom Inlays and after they determine the correct size, I'll purchase a set from them. Probably one of their bone sets. Here's some pics. I'm not a photographer by any means. h1.jpg h2.jpg h3.jpg

5. houseofcharm

houseofcharm TDPRI Member

Hi all, late to the party(once again) but nice to find a Hohner lovers gang. I've had maybe 25+ of the HGs and a few others and still have 5-6 now. My question is regarding the 'solid' woods on the back and sides. I always found that all HGs were laminate with expert bookmatching of their grains and my luthiers concurred over the years. I have a rare HG860 which took a hit at the base rime and it seems to show a ply-that's a high end model also.

I do have a 1980 price sheet I can post if there's not one in here yet-by then, quite a few models were dropped, a bit of redundancy with a large lineup like Hohner had. And I know the warehouse on Long Is closed in 1980-81 so that was some of their last models made. I bought 4-5 at that time new-still have one of them now. Cheers,

Jeff

6. houseofcharm

Here's '1980 price catalog-LOTS to pour over:

Attached Files:

7. houseofcharm

and some of the present herd-some gone now: IMG_1884.jpg PICT4892.jpg IMG_1884.jpg PICT4892.jpg IMG_1884.jpg PICT4892.jpg

Attached Files:

8. houseofcharm

And some vids of my pal Eric Heftler on a few of my Hohners-apologies for the lo-fi sound:

HG605 with dropped neck block split-still plays like a dream:

Better sound on Witchcraft:

Tone Chase likes this.
  9. houseofcharm

$_12d (4).jpg $_12d (5).jpg And some bad pics of a catalog:

Attached Files:

10. LGOberean

Wow, Jeff...just...Wow!:eek::)

11. AceChase

AceChase TDPRI Member

Yes! Thanks Jeff. Awesome Info. Is there a chance you could show the right side prices?:)
    Particularly the HG700's.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  12. Svenson82

Svenson82 NEW MEMBER!

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum. I have a Hohner Model B500/MR from 97-2002 and I was trying to get an idea of the resale value. The guitar is in great condition. Thanks for any help.

13. LGOberean

Sorry for the late response. I don't know if you're still looking for info, but a quick Google search brought an ebay sale from like 2013. It said "Sale ended" not "Sold," but the asking price was like $200.

In Fjestad's Blue Book of Electric Guitars, 11th edition, the last MSR was $549. Fjestad lists the New (100%) condition as worth $425, Mint (98%) as $350, Excellent + (95%) as $325, Excellent (90%) as $275, Very Good + (80%) as $225, Very Good (70%) as $175, and Good (60%) as $125. Of course, these figures are given in USD, so you would need to adjust for pounds sterling. Hope this helps.

14. Woodstock64

Woodstock64 TDPRI Member

Hello everyone. Has it really been since 2012 that I last visited here? Great to see so many new "faces". I thorougly enjoyed reading the additional 20+ pages. Since that time I have acquired a 2008 Martin M-38 which I love but even with the acquisition of the uber expensive M-38, my love for my HG-320 has not subsided. I've now owned it for 20 years and will never part with it. Then I shared info on my beloved 1978 Hohnor HG-320 but never any photos and as Larry pointed out numerous time: Without photos, it never happened so here goes.

Attached Files:

15. LGOberean

Cool! :cool: Thanks for posting the pics. Beautiful guitar! And a quick question, if you don't mind...what's the signature on the lower bout?

16. Woodstock64

Woodstock64 TDPRI Member

Thanks Larry. The signature is David Bromberg's. I met him backstage at the Philly Folk Fest. He signed the guitar then looked me straight in the eye and advised me: " You now own an "official" David Bromberg Signature guitar. :)

17. LGOberean

Yet again I say, Cool! :cool: Very cool story! :cool:

18. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

19. LGOberean

I've never heard of "obancole" either. I'm wondering if that isn't an alternate spelling or misspelling of "ovangkol". When I did a Google search for the former, I got a prompt asking me if I meant the latter.

20. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

According to this pricing info, the GH912 had abancole wood

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.