Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

¡De nada, nacho! Y me llamo Larry.

2. Tele2006

Tele2006 TDPRI Member

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I made the deal for $400plus $50 shipping, I won't see it for a month as I sent it to a friends house and will pick it up in early June when I visit the States. I attached some pics and the upgrades are custom made pick guard, SD quarter pounder in the neck and SD Custom Custom in the Bridge, Klusen Revolution Tuners and CTS Volume pot and a LP type three way switch also comes with the original gig bag and all the original parts should I want to revert back. It has light relic look as it has some paint chipping that comes along with its age. Guessing its a 74' based on the serial number.

I'll let you know how it plays once I get it!

Attached Files:

• h7.jpg
      h7.jpg
      File size:
      36.4 KB
      Views:
    • h6.jpg
      h6.jpg
      File size:
      54.8 KB
      Views:
    • h5.jpg
      h5.jpg
      File size:
      77.9 KB
      Views:
    • h4.jpg
      h4.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
    • h1.jpg
      h1.jpg
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
  3. Roy Mal

Roy Mal TDPRI Member

For all the Hohner TE models out there here is a site which I found really informative: http://www.markwills.co.uk/hohner/

4. LGOberean

Thanks, Roy! That does look very informative! Haven't watch the video yet, but that page does share some nice details and pics. :D

5. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

andresound -

I have a Hohner 912 that I bought a few months ago. Bought it over the internet from a dealer in Seattle and got a great deal on it - $270 delivered. it's better than I expected being all you know when you order is from the pictures and questions you ask.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the original pickguard has been replaced by a thin, handcut replacement guard and it soon fell off. I'll post pictures of it when I have time. Everything under the replacement guard looks ok other than the dirty residue of some stiicky gunk.

My question to you and others is, what does an original pickguard on a Hohner Arbor specifically look like? Not the shape but the look of the material. For a while I was thinking they were a standard black, but now some pictures I've seen lead me to believe they have some flecks of dark red in them. if you could post a picture of yours so I could compare the look of pickguard material to what's available through custom pickguard makers, I would really appreciate it. And if others want to post some closeups of their pickguards that would help me a lot.

As far as the fingerboard on your 912, that's an interesting look. My fingerboard is the dark brown color you see on most of the Arbor series Hohners. I'm glad you like yours, I know I love mine.

Thank you for any help you can give me with a picture.

Jerry

6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

WOW, a thread on Hohners!! Very cool.

Here's the Hohner "strat" I got for my wife for $85 about 12 years ago. It was brand new NOS, still had hang tags on it. My wife picked it out as she liked the color.

I wasn't expecting very much out of a Hohner strat copy so I was shocked how good it played and felt.

The neck is amazingly nice, consider now this compliment is coming from me who is a guy who's quite quick to go ahead and switch necks on Strats and Teles.

The slab of rosewood is exceptional and the fretwork perfect, even the ends are rolled nice and tucked in so it has a totally smooth feel to the sides. It has a wonderful satin finish on the back. It fits the neck pocket so tight you can't even get a thin business card in between it and the body. I did fit it with a bone nut I carved and I refinished the head stock to looked aged and put the requisite Fender decal on it. :D

The body is very lively, not sure of the wood, but feels like basswood. The finish is really well done. It has a 3 single coil rout in it.

All in all it's a totally amazing strat type copy. I've built several mutts and owned quite a few Fenders so I can speak from some experience.

I liked it so much I decided it was worthy to put some serious mods into it.

I put some Fender Custom Shop 60's in it and the whole deal, CTS pots etc. I shielded the cavities real good too.

Even my die hard "Fender only" brother loves it.

And yes, the wife does play it. Not as much as I do though. :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Very cool guitar. Reminds me of my Samick Greg Bennett JZ133. Even the truss rod cover is the same shape as on my Bennetts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. LGOberean

Wow! Not Hohners, but still, beautiful guitars!

9. The Great 6

The Great 6 NEW MEMBER!

This is my first time on here-- not sure if I'm posting this question correctly, but I'm looking at buying either an HG12 D or an HG701. Can't find much out there on them, but I figure some of the members of this forum can help me out.

I'm trying to figure out if either has a solid wood soundboard.

The HG12 D looks like it's well-built, and I see some promising signs of quality (and the "D" apparently stands for "Deluxe," so that's a good sign), but I really want to avoid getting another laminate top 12. I already have a Takamine F400-- and, for a laminate top, it is great guitar.

Anyone out there have a HG12 D or HG701 and willing to share their observations on construction, tone and playability with me?

Much appreciated. Great forum.

10. LGOberean

Just now seeing this, I was out of town when you posted. First of all, welcome.

I don't own the either of the models you've asked about, so I can't answer questions from experience. I have Fjestad'sBlue Book of Acoustic Guitars, 11th ed. Unfortunately, neither model is listed in this resource.

Searching back through this thread, tiw68w posted about the HG 12 D, on January 12, 2015 (post #456 on page 23). Here is a quote of his comments on the HG 12 D…

As for the HG 701, at least two TDPRI members have posted in this thread about the HG-701 12-string: Rockin Gramps (#402, page 21) and Sam X (#447, page 23).

Neither tiw68w, Sam X nor Rockin Gramps are very active on TDPRI. I guess they all lurk more than post. Still, they were moved enough by their respective Hohner guitars to post here. If you want to hear more from them than the above quotes contain, I would suggest contacting them through the Private Message feature of TDPRI.

11. LGOberean

I don't know how many Hohner owners club members are also fathers, but I suspect at least a few of us, so...Happy Father's Day! :)

12. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

Hi Sorry for the late reply. I will take a pic and send ASAP

13. LGOberean

Jerry, I too am sorry that I missed your request last month for a pic of a an Arbor series pickguard. I hope it's not too late for your purposes, but here is a close-up pic I took of the pickguard on my 1983 G-940.
    [​IMG]

14. andresound

andresound TDPRI Member

My pic guard looks identical. Sorry fort late response

15. HohnerOwner

HohnerOwner TDPRI Member

Prince Guitar
    [​IMG]
    The Original madcats were made by Morris Moridaira in Japan. They were branded under the HS Anderson name, Morris also made the Madcat with the Morris Hurricane, Bill Lawrence, and Bill's brothers name. The Prince guitar has the Hohner name model HG-490. The rarest of the rare. This is the last of the real cats. This is a 1991 Bill's brothers MIJ. Most Bills Brothers were made in Korea, but this one was made in Japan. This was Toshio Moridaira's last attempt at saving his company. The Morris name was purchased and continued to make high end acoustic guitars in japan. In 2011 Morris reissued the Madcat

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    vlammie and LGOberean like this.
  16. LGOberean

Good information. Thanks for posting.

17. Pat Mc

Pat Mc NEW MEMBER!

I read an old post here that said the HG 310 Limited Editions were not built until 1978. I bought mine in mid-October 1975. The most notable difference is that there is no serial number or other identifier that would suggest the age. As others have written, this is a beautiful guitar, sounds great and is very well constructed. In it's 40 yr life time, it has gotten two very small nicks on the neck and one major ding on the top. There are some divots as it was played a lot. It was played a REAL lot. I took the guitar in to the same shop around 1980 to have the neck reset. I think they might have also replaced a couple of fret wires. I've had nothing done since and the neck is still straight as when it was set.

I remember the day I bought it. Someone had broken my Fender 12 string. Not a great guitar, but it was mine. To add insult to injury, he then punched me in the fist with his face. Several times. My baby finger got badly infected and the bandage covered three fingers of my picking hand. So when I went to buy a new guitar, I was slightly handicapped and could only use thumb and first finger. But, I wanted a new guitar.

I believe the name of the store was John Street Music and shortly after they changed their name to Hamilton Music, in Hamilton Ontario, Canada. I'm not sure if they are still there as I have been living in Indiana for 20 some years, but a quick google search showed no music store there. I was thinking of getting a Yamaha 12 string but the store didn't have what I was looking for. The salesman asked me to take a look at the Hohner. I fell in love.

The neck felt solid; reminiscent of what my 12 string had been. I think that is what impressed me the most at that time. The build looked great, and it sounded good. There was nothing frilly, just a guitar. Today, the neck feels clunky compared to the rug rat's Fender. But it's a nice clunky, good for finger picking.

Having also played a Martin D-28, it is very similar. Only a lot less expensive. The tonal qualities are similar but the Hohner might be slightly heavier bass, weaker top end, but that could have been the strings, my own perception, or the beer.

When I picked it up after having the neck reset, I spoke with the salesman (owner?). He told me that Hohner had commissioned 1,000 guitars each for three or four lines. These were all beautiful guitars and were to help them break into the guitar market. According to him, and remember this is a 35 y/o conversation, mine was one of the originals. What Hohner had commissioned after that were good, but not as good as the first bunch. Since there is so little information out there on older Hohner guitars, I have no idea of the veracity of that. Considering, however, that my guitar has no serial number and I bought it in 1975, that story just might have some veracity. I don't know. It would be interesting to find out though.

I don't play much today. Arthritis and old age. The rug rat likes it but prefers her black Fender acoustic, because its hers and if she breaks it she won't feel as bad. Occasionally when she jams with others, it comes out. But most of the time the old gal just rests.

Attached Files:

18. LGOberean

I have a copy of Fjestad's Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars (11th ed.), but it does not list the HG 310 Limited Edition. I'm pretty sure I've seen ad copy in magazines from 1976 with pictures of the 310 LE.

19. gonetroppo

gonetroppo TDPRI Member

I have a trade option on a Hohner HG 950 Ardor Series Acoustic. I would have to trade a Thinline Tele style partscaster valued around $650. Does it sound a fair trade?

20. bash

bash TDPRI Member

gonetroppo, I would trade, but that's me and I mainly play acoustic these days. The 900 Series are fine quality Martin copies, the 940 and 950 being top in the series. There's a lot of love for the 900 Series guitars. They are a unique part of Hohner history. Of course all this is contingent on condition of the 950 but my 940 had been smashed and had the neck reattached and it is still one of the best sounding and playing guitars I have (and I have more than a few expensive "name" guitars.)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.