Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. rustylypps

rustylypps TDPRI Member

I used to us then 30 years ago, not a bad idea! thanks.

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, Christmas is now over for my family. Our three grown children and their respective families all live in different Texas towns, and we weren't all together on one day. Today my son and his family came for our celebration together, and they just left.

I share this here because one gift involves a Hohner. What was my Hohner DR550 is now my son’s. Here are pics of it I’ve posted previously…

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It wasn’t a planned gift; my son was talking about missing his acoustic (he has a tele), and he was thinking about going down to GC and putting a Martin acoustic on layaway. I just wanted to offer the DR550 to him. It was a spur of the moment thing, and I’m sure I’ll miss it, but I have no giver’s remorse. For one thing, I let him know that if after living with it a while he decides he really wants a Martin, bring it back. If OTOH it fills a niche and scratches the acoustic itch, it’s his. So if it comes back to me, great! But if not, I was able to do something for my son. Of course, I still have my Hohner G-940 and a half dozen other guitars, so I’m good.

3. LGOberean

Happy New Year, everyone! :D

4. bash

bash TDPRI Member

Happy New Year!

5. Sbray83

Sbray83 TDPRI Member

Hohner rockbuster HME-1

Hey I have always loved Hohner professional very under rated. I have owned an l-59 and several se-35's and have never had any complaints. After clearing out my gear recently I came across my old Hohner rockbuster HME-1 multi effects pedal. The pedal was made in Japan as the label says but when I tried to dig for more info on the Internet I came up with nothing which is strange in this day in age so I contacted Hohner to see if they could help, according to them it was produced in the early 80s in very few numbers so few that Hohner themselves have no more info than when they were produced. Some what of a rarity it seems, anyone else own/owned one?

Attached Files:

6. Sbray83

Sbray83 TDPRI Member

Hohner rockbuster HME-1

Another pic

Attached Files:

7. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

Contessa? and HG-912

Hi everyone. This is my first post here, and I'm happy to have found this site.

I happened on this site while searching for information on a guitar I was given, a Hohner Contessa G-70 classical, MIJ. A friend gave it to me because it was virtually unplayable as was, but it's in otherwise very good condition. As it was the top bracing was all loose and it rattled terribly. Also the top had bowed up behind the bridge. I was able to get some glue in the bracing (not easy when working through that small sound hole) and along with clamping it now seems ready for strings. Just hoping it holds the string tension.

My questions are, was the Contessa a entry level line? And is anyone familiar with the classical G-70 model? Being I've never owned a classical guitar but have often thought about trying some Willy Nelson style, any recommendations on strings or picks?

I've also found this Hohner thing to be "catchy". After reading through most of these posts I became very interested in the Arbor series, so much so that I've now got a Hohner HG-912 on it's way to me. I've never owned a 12 string, but after watching one of our local favorites play roots music on a 12 string Guild in open G tuning, I thought I'd like to try that. Retirement opens those kind of doors don't ya know and I'm lovin it. (Ever heard Charlie Parr? Give a listen on YouTube) My 912 should be here this coming week, so I'm sure I'll have questions you along with a picture or two.

Thanks for any information or advice on the G-70, and I look forward to making some friends on this forum.

8. LGOberean

Welcome! Gotta get ready for an out of town gig tonight, so I don't have much time to adequately look into the G-70 or reply, but later...

9. LGOberean

I've looked in a couple of sources* I have, but so far, no luck turning up information on the Contessa G-70.

* Fjestad's Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars, 11th ed. & Hohner - Historical Guitar Models.

10. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

Hi Larry,
    Nice to meet you and thanks for rsponding. I happened to see some of your posts in the resonator club. Im posted some pictures of my resonator in the photo gallery, but can't figure out how to attach them directly to a post from my smart phone or Kindle. Any advice there?
    Anyway, I found a copy of a 1974 Hohner Contessa advertisement just like mine on the web. And also two private selling ads from a few years ago for the Contessa G-70. Everything seems to point to an intermediate instrument with todays value in the $3-400 asking range. Now that I've got mine all cleaned up it looks great. I was just heading out to buy strings for it. Using a straight edge it looks like the stright height will come out just about right. I also bought NOS tuning machines on Ebay for it and I'll get those installed along with the new strings. My wife thinks she wants this guitar to learn on. We've gone down that road before. She always says "you're so lucky it comes easy to you" and my memory immediately goes back to sitting playing cowboy chords on a guitar to Bob Dylan songs on a sidewalk in Haight/Ashbury Calif. in 1969. Just an old hippie who never got serious about music but was never far removed from it. But I digress.

I received my Hohner 912 last Tuesday. I'm in love with it! A few minor dings and gouges, but for $280 delivered I think it was a steal. One thing I didn't expect was the cheap replacement pick guard. Purely cosmetic, but I'll probably relace it someday. Im sure there's no NOS guards available, but I think I'll look for someone who can reproduce a good one using the one I'll take off my guitar as a pattern. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your response.
    Jerry

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  11. OneDude

OneDude NEW MEMBER!

Hello to all members,

I am new to this forum and new to Hohner products. Quite honestly I have always avoided Hohner thinking that their guitars were strictly entry level and of poor quality. Well my eyes have been opened and I now see the light. Yesterday I brought home a Hohner Professional B Bass to join the stable of other brands. I am definitely impressed by B Bass; after a little setup it plays well and sounds good. The bad news is that now I have another whole manufacturer to pay attention to, and the barn is already full. Guitars are too numerous to list, but a couple of telecasters are in that group. My basses include, Gibson, Fender, G&L, Peavey, Ibanez, Epiphone, SX, Samick, Squier, Tiesco, and Kawai.

My music styles are a mixed bag from jazz to bluegrass. I look forward to following the discussions on this forum.

OneDude

12. JerryW

JerryW TDPRI Member

Welcome

Just wanted to say welcome from an old bass player and a Hohner fan.

There's not much activity here, probably because Hohners are fairly scarce. But I've found that the older ones are really fine instruments.

Talking bass guitar, I sure wish I would have saved some of the instruments I went through in the '70's. Fender Percisions, Jazz and Gibson Les Pauls were common. I bought a Fender Percision once for $35, and turned down a Fender bass with the flat back, the early model before they contoured the body, perfect in the case for $150. Being a musician has left me with so many great (and a few not so good) memories.

Enjoy your new Hohner bass.

Jerry

Pat Mc likes this.
  13. AG42

AG42 TDPRI Member

Hohners do seem to be a bit scarce, but over the lastfew years, I've been able to find a few more to go with ones I've had for over 20 years...first was a B-Bass V (now fretless and sporting upgraded EMG pickups and pre-amp) and a J-Bass FL fretless in cream...now these have been bulletproof, with little or no adjustment needed...so I went looking for more Hohners...

...so now I have an L75 (spotless, now with Seymour Duncan APH-2 pickups and CTS pots), a pre-L75 Les Paul copy (with no serial no. or identifers anywhere apart from Hohner written on the headstock)...and now a J-Bass fretted in cream...

Love this brand - solid, no-nonsense, cheap...but awesome... :eek:)

14. BFcaster

BFcaster TDPRI Member

Hey folks.
    Over the past few weeks I've been working on a blonde Hohner acoustic, in exchange for some manual labor done last Fall. Could use some info on the guitar in question. Google is giving me nil-
    It is a Shadow Edition, inside serial on the label reads G03W, Korean-made (or at least the label is...).

The bridge at some point had literally ripped off and then been re-glued with some semi-serious loss of material around the area- closer to the sound-hole there was still the original finish with criss-cross scoring, but the farther 2/3rds was gouged wood. The blonde finish under and behind the area, along with a very noticeable sliver of wood/finish, had ripped off with the bridge and not been reattached/replaced. The bridge, when re-glued, sat deeper leaning away from the sound-hole, actually below the existing finish by a few milometers. A thin shim of plastic sat under the saddle to raise it up accordingly. Also there is either 'bellying' or that's the way it was made, but the ends of the rosewood bridge were not touching the sound-board. From what I can feel underneath it was made that way and is not actually bellying.
    Though stable the new owner (and myself) felt that it would be better to remove and repair than to leave as is. Trying to remove the pegs revealed that the string-rings were all literally embedded in them, so a little fill work was needed in the bridge plate with a maple dust/glue mixture. I''ll leave the worn and well-used ebony fingerboard as-is, but the frets need a re-crown. Over all it is in fine condition, with some wear in the finish around where you'd expect. It was obviously played often and treated with some care. IMHO the repair done to the bridge area was okay, but really should have been done better- maybe it was done by the owner or a non-luthier woodworker. It has a plastic nut and saddle, but it sounded good on the old crusty strings as it was handed to me, and has a straight neck, which may explain the following-
    I knew it "used to be my grandma's" from the young 25-ish owner who wants to learn guitar on it, but today learned a bit more from my son-in-law (his co-worker in my manual labor project and my contact person). Turns out grandma had records done and (maybe) songs published. So, I hope to get a name attached to this Shadow Edition very soon.

15. mts1979

mts1979 TDPRI Member

Hi everyone. My name is Mark, and I'm brand new to this forum here. I have a mystery Hohner guitar, and after doing some research online, I'm pretty sure that you guys are the only people who might know what it is.

The back story is this: a while back, my landlord noticed I owned a bunch of guitars, and offered to sell me yet another one. He said he had bought it brand new "a few years ago", which would place it as being made somewhere in the mid-2000's, and that his wife wanted it out of their house. I suspect that none of that story is true, except possibly the part about the wife. The sticker with the serial number had been torn off, unfortunately. But the guitar sounded nice, and was in good shape, so I bought it.

Here's a few pics of the guitar in question:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For what it's worth, the guitar sounds great -- I've used it on a few records and have no complaints whatsoever. But the mystery has been bothering me for years, and I'd like to solve it. If any of you could suggest a model number and a year of manufacture, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks!

Mark

16. AceChase

AceChase TDPRI Member

Hey Mark, I may be of some help. From the looks of yours, I would say you have a HG-310 LE from the late 70's to the early 80's. You look to have the herringbone rosette and purfling which was on the HG-310 LE (Limited Edition). It does look very similar to a HG-210 but the rosette and purfling are different. Both have snowflake fret markers though. I have read numerous reviews that these guitars have solid back and sides but many more reviews that suggest it is laminate back and sides. My guess would be laminate but maybe you can clear that up for me.

Here are some pictures of my HG-210 which again is similar but different. Plus mine has a 3 pc back but I believe that is a exception rather than the rule.

Attached Files:

17. mts1979

mts1979 TDPRI Member

Ace, thank you!!! I just looked up the HG-310 LE, and that seems to be a very similar if not identical guitar. Your HG-210 is pretty close as well. My guitar has a 2-piece back (split down the center), and appears to be solid, not laminate.

The only thing throwing me off is that in all the photos I see online, the 310 LE has a flat headstock, and mine has that arch at the top?

JerryW likes this.
  18. AceChase

AceChase TDPRI Member

Hey Mark, I have 3 Hohners acoustics. 2 of them have the same head stock as your guitar with vertical logo, 1 does not(hg210) which has horizontal logo. All three were built in Japan.

My HG-210 in many ways looks different than other HG-210 I come across online, but fortunately, I have the label for affirmation. With that in mind, I wouldn't sweat it that your HG-310 may not be exactly identical to other HG-310 LE's you come across. For me the telling point is the herringbone purfling and snowflake markers.

As far as the HG-310 LE being solid B/S, that is something I would like to get to the bottom of. I have never seen a spec sheet state that as fact, but then again, I'm not sure I have ever seen a original spec sheet on the 310. I have seen many advertisement brochures on ebay featuring Hank Williams Jr with a HG310 and some without his endorsement, but none of them ever state the 310 as all solid. Typically, the manufacturer will be sure to point that out whenever possible. Not that it matters but I remain skeptical. If someone had a spec sheet such as this for the Limited edition series that would be great.

Hohner_HG940_Specs.jpg

19. mts1979

mts1979 TDPRI Member

I only wish I could find a spec sheet on this guitar! It seems like a lot of info on Hohners have been lost to time. We may never find out.

Is the difference in headstock shapes due to the lawsuits with Martin? (i.e. did they change it to the arched style after the suit?)

20. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

I like that vertical logo. Looks like an all around nice model. I'll keep an eye out for one now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.