Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

In the Help Threads section is a thread "How to post photos on the TDPRI."

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/help-threads/50698-how-post-photos-tdpri.html

It's an older thread, but it helped me get started posting pics, and I am most definitely technologically challenged. Hopefully it will help you too.

2. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Wow, love the sound of the parlor!

Thank you so much for the demo and the education! What is the lower bout dimension?

3. LGOberean

Sorry I'm late with a reply. I saw your post, but since I think of this guitar in terms of its Nashville tuning, I didn't realize at first that you were talking to me! :eek: :oops: I actually thought, "I wonder what parlor he's talking about?" I actually went back a page, a realized to my embarrassment that it was me! :oops:

The lower bout measures 13 3/4".

4. Pelican

Pelican NEW MEMBER!

Hohner Telecaster circa 1968?

In 1991 I bought a Hohner Telecaster, similar to a MadCat but without all the horrible decal logos on the headstock :)

There are three dates etched into the back of the neck. MB91, S.R. 87, and 7.8.68. I always assumed that one was the original date of purchase.

I'm curious as to its value now, anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

• HI.jpg
      HI.jpg
      File size:
      81.2 KB
      Views:
  5. LGOberean

Information on discontinued Hohner guitar models is hard to come by. And of course its value ultimately is in the estimation of the buyer (if you're trying to sell it).

That said, I do have a copy of Fjestad's Blue Book of Electric Guitars. It's the 11th edition, which is 7-8 years old now, but I use it as at least a ball bark reference for old guitars up for sale in the 21st century.

You didn't mention a model or series #, but the TE series electric Hohners are listed in this reference book. I'm guessing that the TE Prinz is what you have, or a configuration thereof, and the TE Custom is similar.

According to Fjestad, the Prinz was manufactured from 1990-96, the last MSR was $565. In "Mint (98%)" condition, it was valued at $375, "Excellent+ (95%)" at $325, "Excellent (90%)" at $275, "Very Good+ (80%)" at $225 and "Very Good (70%)" at $175.

Similarly, the TE Custom was manufactured from 1992-96, the last MSR was $500. In "Mint (98%)" condition, it was valued at $350, "Excellent+ (95%)" at $300, "Excellent (90%)" at $250, "Very Good+ (80%)" at $200 and "Very Good (70%)" at $160.

Hope this helps.

6. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

So it appears that I missed out on a HG-950 for sale back in November.... A 950 people!! I am beating my head on my desk.

7. bash

bash TDPRI Member

Vaguely recall it. Seemed abused, damaged or altered if I remember correctly. Either way I believe it got yanked hours before the completion of auction. I suspect a private offer came in as it never showed back up. Either way, I was sort of relieved not to have to make a decision on it. I have a far better rosewood guitar but as a collector piece a 950 still holds a lot of appeal.

In related disappointment, I won a cracked-but-otherwise-fine HG912 for a reasonable price but I believe the seller got a higher offer post-auction because he strung me along for several weeks without shipping it until I finally had to force a refund. First time I've been burned on eBay. In retrospect I'm also sort of relieved since I've never been a big fan of 12-strings anyway and my available closet space disappeared about three guitars ago :p.

8. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

I contacted the seller and he said he decided to keep it and rehab it. It had a cracked top but it was hard to tell from the pics I could get to load to see how bad it was.

9. D Thunderclap

D Thunderclap NEW MEMBER!

Can anyone please help date my Hohner Classical. Says Leyanda Line on label, alongside model LC-80-N, serial 2/51830. Thanks,

Dennis Thunderclap

Attached Files:

10. LGOberean

This kind of quest for information on old Hohner models is always so frustrating. It takes hours and hours, sometimes even days of research, and when it's all said and done, you still wind up with meager and/or conflicting information that you have to piece together. :mad:

I've looked in my book Fjestad's Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars and found no reference to that model #, nor even reference to the Leyanda Line of Hohners. Several discussion threads available online mention the Leyanda Line, and those references, taken together, reveal several consistent claims that these guitars were made in Korea in the 1970s and '80s. And that fits what we know of Hohner's getting into guitars. They started in the '70s in Japan then moved production to Korea.

But the Leyanda Line also shows up in much more recent brochures (2007, 2009), though with only 3 models listed: the LC 10, LC 20 & LC 30. These recent brochures state that...

So more recent production of the Leyanda Line of Hohner classicals was done in Spain? In addition to the label, some recent classified ads in Europe (Gumtree, NewsNow) also say "Handcrafted in Spain." I guess that fits the claim printed on the paper label "Construcción artística de guitarras" (which is Spanish for "Artistic construction of guitars").

Of the three, only the LC 30 has a solid top. Here's the brief description from the recent brochures...

Other online resources for older models claim that they not only had solid cedar tops, but "solid dark mahogany back and sides; mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard; nickel silver frets; gold-plated machine heads" as well.

So I'm guessing your LC-80-N is an older, higher end model with solid back & sides as well, and better appointments. But you can confirm that for us. If so, I'm guessing that it was made in Korea 30-40 years ago. But then again, maybe not. Some ads/discussion threads talk about Leyanda Line LC classicals being made in the '70s & '80s, but others refer to them being made in the 1990s. And I don't know when production was moved from Korea to Spain.

11. HohnerOwner

HohnerOwner TDPRI Member

[​IMG]
    No you are not dreaming
    [​IMG]
    The Hohner HG470 is REAL! I got this on the bay. It was listed at a buy it now. I am the Owner. And it is no not for sale. sorry

12. HohnerOwner

HohnerOwner TDPRI Member

This was made in the eighty's in Korea in the Samick factory. It is a Copy. so many people were confused about Honer Madcats. because the real ones were made in Japan in the Moridaira factory from 1974 to 1979. Very few were made. I the only one that I have ever seen is the one prince plays. I Love that rainbow foil Logo. (I have seen pictures of the H.S. Anderson one MIJ) but so far to this date I can not find one picture of a REAL Hohner Madcat unless it is in Prines hands..
    These Korean ones actually sell for around 800

13. HohnerOwner

HohnerOwner TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

14. Roy Mal

Roy Mal TDPRI Member

Hohner TE Custom Professional Telecaster

Hi Guy's, I came across your forum after purchasing a used Hohner TE Custom Professional Telecaster just yesterday (11th March 2015). It's a beauty and I'm well pleased with it. I would put my playing ability at intermediate level. The serial number is C218456. Can anyone enlighten me as to it's year and country of manufacture or alternately a site where I can find this info? I will post a photograph once I work out how to do it!!!:rolleyes:

Roy (Liverpool UK)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  15. LGOberean

Hello, Roy. Congrats and welcome to this thread and to TDPRI.

According to my copy of Fjestad's Blue Book of Electric Guitars (page 608, 11th edition), the Hohner TE Custom was manufactured from 1992-96, in Korea, I believe, and retailed for $500.

16. LGOberean

I recently found a local guy that does good work on guitars at not cheap but still reasonable rates. He worked on an acoustic/electric of mine (a Breedlove) that needed some fret work. He did a quality job, so next month I'm planning on having him do some work on my Hohner DR550 acoustic. It needs a setup, but more than that the nut was seated slightly off at the factory, so the string spacing is off, and has never played quite right.

17. Roy Mal

Roy Mal TDPRI Member

Hohner TE Custom Professional Telecaster

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your reply, I paid £230 sterling for it. The guitar is immaculate and I can't find a ding or scratch anywhere, she's been upgraded with Seymour Duncan quarter pounders and I was given the original pickups with the guitar. I'm well pleased with it, got a great sound and ring to it. Have you any idea what type of wood the body and neck are?

Roy

18. LGOberean

Roy, according to Fjestad's Blue Book of Electric Guitars (11th edition, p. 608), both the body and neck of the TE Custom are maple. One online source described it as "Canadian Rock Maple." That may be true, or it may be based on specs of the earlier TE Custom models from the 1980s. On page 5 of the 1986 Hohner catalog, that year's TE Custom was offered with a "California Solid Maple" body and a one piece "Canadian Rock Maple" neck. And BTW, the '80s version had a headstock that was a copy of a Telecaster, not the more pointy variety on the '90s models.

As for more on country of origin, I remember seeing a pic online of a Hohner Professional TE Custom with "Korea" stamped on the back of the headstock. I've been trying to find that pic again, so far to no avail. But various sources say Korea, including Fjestad's, so I'm sure that's right.

As for what you paid for it, your description of the condition yours sounds like Fjestad's description of either "Excellent+" or "Mint" condition, and the resale values are listed as $300 and $350, respectively. I'm not real savvy when it comes to the £ to $ exchange rate, but it sounds like you paid more or less fair market value.

19. Roy Mal

Roy Mal TDPRI Member

Hi Larry, thanks for your reply and really useful information. £250 sterling is approx $375 American Dollars so it sounds just about right. I did try and barter with the guy but he wouldn't budge on the price, I went to view it telling myself I wouldn't pay more than £200 sterling for it but once I saw it and played it I was smitten! So, I paid him the full asking price and I'm not disappointed.

Thanks again Larry

Roy

20. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

My hohners

The 12 string tele Hohner Professional TE12 and an acoustic I picked up at a yard sale and repaired.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.