Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

They sure did Larry. The H35 model Hohner made was a pretty darn nice 335 copy. I had one for a while and it was a pretty darn good guitar. I do my own set up work, replace pickups, wiring, etc, and had plans to upgrade the guitar.....the electronics and pickups are the weak points imho...but I wound up keeping it stock. The fella that bought it sent me an email a few months later to say he had a set of Dimarzio PAF's and a new wiring harness installed. He raved about it.

I would say the quality was on par with a good Epi Dot.

2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Kelly, the HG-300 is a nice guitar. As far as the Blueridge being an improvement, hard to say. I like Blueridge guitars, but since each instrument is unique it's hard to say if it would be an improvement. Good to hear you have the Hohner back! Welcome!

3. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

For Marksometimes......nice guitar you have there! I love those old Hohners and yours is just like the one in my avatar. Mine did not have the original pickups when I got it, but it sure sounded great.

I would assume Hohner used alnico mag's instead of cunife (as the original Seth Lover designed Wide Range buckers did) due to cost and availability. Very cool that you have the original pickups and even cooler you like they way they sound.

Hohner made some great Fender and Gibson copies in the 70's. The ones I've had from that era were excellent quality. As you have discovered, there is not much info on these.
    Play it in good health and enjoy the fact you have a quality instrument! Congrats!

4. Kelley71

Kelley71 NEW MEMBER!

Thanks BB. GAS is a horrible disease. My Honer is a nice guitar. She has some dings, and one tooth mark from my 10 month old son. The HG-300 is much nicer than most sub 1000 instruments I have played at various places. This poor guitar has been like the RED VIOLIN in that movie. Borrowed for 10+ years , then stolen to be recovered. I will never sell it.

I was driving through San Antonio today and stopped by Guitar Tex. Nice shop, Martin was there for their road show, got to see some pretty nice guitars. An Adi/Madi D-45. Definitely a nice instrument, a little too flashy for me though.

5. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome Kelly! Yes indeed, GAS is quite an affliction! I love the Red Violin reference and how cool you have the guitar back. I have yet to find a 1K or under acoustic I prefer over the Hohner, so agree with you there. These Hohner are quite a bargain in the used acoustic world.

6. HohnerOwner

HohnerOwner TDPRI Member

Hi this is my first post, I am a Honer nut. I love these guitars.
    [​IMG]

lavrgs likes this.
  7. SamX

SamX TDPRI Member

Hohner

I just got what I think is an exceptional deal on a Hohner HG 701 12 string. It says "Limited Edition" and Hand made for Hohner and made in Japan . It is stamped 05 78 which i assume is the month and year of build. Anyways, I paid $150 for it with OHSC and I am really happy with how it sounds and plays, I can find almost no information about it and would like to know whatever can be known about it including approximate value. This is a keeper for sure. I've been looking for a 12 string for awhile off and on but most were crummy recently made Indonesia or Chinese made . I hoped to find an older guitar for a reasonable price and you can't be more reasonable than $150 ! Its been stored in a closet for 36 years according to the seller who got it free from his cousin. Any ideas where I can find any info ? I know its solid spruce top and mahogany b/s . looks like abalone inlaid "Hohner" . silver fret markers, rosewood fingerboard and i believe the bridge is ebony. Seems too black to be rosewood. BWBW purfling and black binding and I think the nut and saddle are bone. I'd like to find resources that confirm all this but my guitar price guide doesnt even list this model . Do you know of some Hohner sites that would have any info ?

8. HohnerOwner

HohnerOwner TDPRI Member

It was made by Moridaira Japan. The same as Morris. Dose it have a pearloid binding? Limited editions are valued around $500 to $750

9. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

As I've been (re-)reading posts here asking for info and receiving replies, it's made me wonder what resources you have for tracking down info on specific Hohner models. I have the Fjestad Blue Books, for acoustics and electrics. Unfortunately, not all of the model #s inquired about here are in these books. I also have copies of a few catalogs/price lists from specific years, and some print ads.

What about the rest of you? What resources do you have?

10. HohnerOwner

HohnerOwner TDPRI Member

I know to some this is a four letter word, (eBay) Yes I know people will ask outrageous prices, but if you search completed you can see what they really get. Limited editions are usually not in the price guides. I am NOT a guitar expert, but I am a Hohner Japan fan. and the limited editions are what we look for.
    edit: You would think 12 strings would hold more value but the demand for them is less.

11. LGOberean

Just wanted to wish y'all a Merry Christmas.

[​IMG]

Pat Mc likes this.
  12. HohnerOwner

HohnerOwner TDPRI Member

Thanks Larry and have a "Hohner" New Year
    [​IMG]

13. LGOberean

Thanks, and judging from the pics of those 5 guitars, I'd say you've had some happy Hohner years already. :D

14. LGOberean

Just wanted to wish everyone...
    [​IMG]

15. LGOberean

eBay certainly is a four letter word, sometimes more than others! :lol:

And I've done that searching completed auctions thing as well. That is a good source for pricing. My question had/has more to do with detailed information on various Hohner model specs. Searching eBay can be a source for this as well, but because people listing auctions have a vested interest, you have to question if they're really telling it like it is. I've seen information in auction descriptions that was quite inaccurate. So I'm always on the lookout for definitive information about older/discontinued Hohner models.

Pat Mc likes this.
  16. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Speaking of Hohners,

A few months ago I picked up a HG-12 D which I found out the D stands for deluxe. I bought it from the orig owner who bought it in the early 70's I think.
    It has a beautiful 3 piece rosewood back and sides with a cedar top. Nice guitar in excellent condition.

Now I just bought a Hohner Grand Auditorium EBAE Ebony Acoustic Electric Guitar w/ Shadow P7 Pickup model. I'm not crazy about 6 strings, 12's being my passion, but I wanted to see what an ebony back sides sounds like. It looks very similar to rosewood. It is a cutaway model with the electric pickup installed.
    Does anyone have any experience with this model?

I also bought another Hohner HG 1? -12, looks like cherry or ? in decent shape for $75 but after I got it all cleaned up and started adding strings I found that the bridge is lifting and the top is raised. So I'm going to pull the bridge and fix it so I can see what it sounds like.

17. LGOberean

I don't have any experience with the EBAE, but I've been curious about them. How about reviewing yours for us?

I wouldn't mind having a 12-string, but I have a Wechter Nashville Parlor Elite, which approximates a 12-string vibe pretty well. So I haven't been in a hurry for a 12-string.

18. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Re review Hohner EBEW 6 string

I'll be happy to do that Larry. I just got it today and I have to go over it, let it settle in. I would like to post pics, but I forgot how to do that. Do they have to be resized? If so to what?
    So far it is a very pretty guitar. It looks like Indian rosewood but it is darker with more back and brown stripes.
    Playing all 12's it is a switch for me with only 6 strings and the narrower neck, just not used to that. Initial impressions is that it has a nice sweet sound but not a lot of volume, could be the strings on it, supposedly new. I want to oil the fret board and polish the minor scratches in it, you know, make it yours.
    FYI, I tried the guitar scratch remover kit and it does work pretty well at removing or diminishing scratches and does leave a beautiful glossy finish! You only apply a thin film and then rub well and polish it off. I like the stuff!
    See it at guitar scratch remover.com if interested.

19. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Re review Hohner EBEW 6 string

Larry, I'm not familiar with your parlor model, but if you haven;t heard a Guild
    F512 all set up and broken in The power and projection is really amazing.
    Now I know why they are expensive and do hold their value well. I am starting to get attached to the Hohner HG-12D 3 piece rosewood back. The other Hohner HG9-12 arbor series is in curly ovangkol (pic posted earlier). Both look and sound nice but the ovangkol is more like maple with a little more bass. It has the clear distinct notes rather than the more overtones of rosewood

20. LGOberean

The parlor I referred to earlier is a Wechter brand (now discontinued, sadly) Nashville-tuned (a.k.a., high strung) parlor sized guitar. Nashville tuning has the first two strings (E, B) standard pitch, but the next four (G, D, A, E) are pitched up the octave. Essentially it's like the higher pitched half of a 12-string set. Luthier Abraham Wechter designed this guitar to be Nashville tuned. The top is thinner and braced differently, the nut is cut with the diameter of the thinner gauged strings in mind. It has a very nice action and plays like butter, with the high string shimmer. Here's a demo...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.