Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

I got the Hohner today, maple top, Indian rosewood sides or ovangko; with a walnut wedge in the center, very pretty and sounds good too!

2. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

FYI - nice Hohner 320 just listed on eBay yesterday for those looking or considering getting one.

"Keep on Rockin' in the Free World"

3. Rockin Gramps

By the way, what has happened w/Larry who started this owners group. Hope your healthy and still pick in' & a grinning!

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for asking. Actually, 5 weeks ago today I had a heart attack, and 2 days later I had a quadruple bypass. So I guess my answer is in the immortal words of Lennon/McCartney: "I'm getting better, a little better all the time (Can't get much worse!)" :lol:

I thought that with a break in my gigging schedule and a lot of home time I'd be on TDPRI incessantly, but it didn't work out that way. I've checked things from time to time, but haven't always felt like posting.

But I'm slowly coming back. I'm still here, still love Hohners, still have my 3 (Arbor series G-940, DR550, late 70s Japanese vintage HG-14 classical).

Pat Mc likes this.
  5. Rockin Gramps

Sorry to hear about your heart health, hopefully they got it right and you'll be strumming, singing, and entertaining the grand kids for many years yet to come.

Godspeed brother Larry!!!

6. digiprod

digiprod Tele-Meister

Can I join? I recently bought and upgraded Hohner GT3.

Attached Files:

7. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

Wow, Larry, sorry to hear about your ticker troubles but glad you are still here. Getting older ain't for the scared.

8. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Nice looking axe. What exactly are the upgrades? I personally love the older G2T's, but I always upgrade pickups at a minimum. I have had at least five but still have one.

9. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear, I have been there and done that. Multiple heart attacks and quadruple bypass ten years ago. I have multiple medical problems, but the best part about me is my heart. That is the one thing that does not give me any trouble. In a few months you'll be feeling great!

10. LGOberean

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. I'm feeling better and getting more mobility back all the time. I did my first day of rehab today at the hospital, but considering I have been doing some walking for exercise before this, it wasn't too taxing.

On the Hohner guitar side of things, I just finished playing a set of Willie Nelson songs, working back into when I'll be back to gigging in a couple of weeks or so. (When I play Willie's songs, I use my HG-14 classical, and use a Jim Dunlop nylon pick, .73mm.) I just thought I'd take a break and check TDPRI, and saw your post in this thread, jtees4. Thanks, BTW, for sharing you're own story. That sure is encouraging to hear right now.

11. bash

bash TDPRI Member

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Larry. Swift recovery!

12. sprokett

sprokett Tele-Meister

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Larry. My Hohner was a gift from my parents in 1978 for my 9th birthday. Still have it. Still sounds great. I dont have pics to upload, but it is a HG-27. Spruce top with Rosewood back and sides. My other acoustic is a Yamaha FG-300, so I have devil of a time deciding which one to play

13. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

In case anybody is interested, the are are some Hohner Catalogs up on ebay right now, the Contessa series, Electrics and a couple of others, basses. Do a search for Hohner catalogs. I bought a 1970's catalog folk, dreadnought, classical and 12 string. I was hoping to find info on the Arbor series 12 string in ovangkol, but no info. It did however include info on my second Hohner 12 string HG 12D which the owner says he bought in 1994! Description says Deluxe select spruce top 3 piece rosewood back and sides. I thought it was a piece of Walnut sandwiched in between the 2 outer redwood pieces as the center piece is much darker. Cat lists 5 folk concert models, 7 grand concert dreadnnought models, 5 classical models, and 3 12 string models. If anybody wants info from this catalog email me at tiw02t@netscape.net I'm the 12 string nut!

14. LGOberean

Thanks for the heads up, and for the offer of information sharing. I may take you up on that next time a question arises about a '70s model.

In fact, since the Arbor series started in 1978, is there any info in that catalog about the 900/Arbor series guitars?

15. Marksometimes

Marksometimes NEW MEMBER!

Hey, all.

First time poster. Not that it matters.

But regardless, I was looking for a beater to well, beat, and I managed to get my hands on a Hohner Tele Deluxe copy (actually, my wife got it for me as a surprise) on Ebay. No serial number, no location stamp (looks like the neck plate's been replaced at some point) but Hohner says:

HG 427TB - Birchwood body (really??), Rosewood neck with MOP inlays, etc.

However:

[​IMG]

Obviously, maple fingerboard. This is not surprising, albeit unenlightening.

I know it's Japanese, so that's a firm 1978-1985.

Brings up a few questions, tho. Firstly, the pickups - look to be stock, sound frigging monstrous and ring hollow and warm - anyone know how close these are to the original Fender specs? There's no info that I can find on 'em and I'd rather not muck about with the pole pieces to see if they're milled mags.

Nextly, the headstock:

[​IMG]

Straight up Fender copy, down to the Fender-esque logo (not the cig burn, that's... proprietary, I guess). This is what makes me think it's MIJ, but... does anyone know whether the design stayed the same throughout all production? I know the logo changed when they moved production to Korea, but did it change at all during the original run?

Any info would be quite, quite appreciated.

16. LGOberean

Hello, Mark. Welcome to TDPRI and this Hohner owners thread. :D

I don't have any info for you offhand, but I find it interesting that you've posted this. Lately I've been thinking about a tele with humbuckers. I may have to check eBay for one of these.

17. LGOberean

A follow up question along the lines of a guitar with dual humbuckers. In addition to the HG 427TB model Mark posted about, did Hohner ever produce a 335 style?

18. Kelley71

Kelley71 NEW MEMBER!

Hi all,

My father bought my grandpa a Hohner in the 70's. It says HG300. Made in Japan. I am 43 now. I made a mistake when I was 17 and dumb and loaned it to a friend. Well, 20 years later I tracked him down and recovered the guitar a few years ago. I had the action reworked along with the frets by Neil Sargent in Houston. She sounds pretty good, just beat up. I will never sell it because it is an heirloom and give me memories.

My main question is, I have been looking at a Blueridge Br-160A. I found one for 500. I just wonder is this an improvement? I am starting to get a herd.

Would anyone have an old spec sheet they could share?

19. Negsmeister

Negsmeister NEW MEMBER!

Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a question for you erudite Hohner afficionados. I have a Hohner 12-string model HG 12. In the body it says "made in Korea". I thought all of these were made in Japan? I believe this one was bought in the late '70's or early '80's for a young fella who passed away in his early 20's a few years later. This guitar has lain in it's case for years untouched as his mother could not bear to part with it. Now she is institutionalized and I bought it from his sister. It's in really great shape. I plan to do a bit of tweaking, setup and new strings. Any info on this model and approximate value would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

20. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Hi Negsmeister and welcome! Not all of the HG series were Japanese made. If I recall correctly, (I used to sell Hohners back in the mid 70's to early 80's and now I'm old and losing my memory!) the HG-12 had the Hohner name in a decal and vertical as opposed to the Japanese HG's that had Hohner inlaid and horizontal.

Your's does not command the price the Japanese Hohners do, but so what! If you like it, that's all that matters. I do remember I liked the HG-12 and it compared very favorably with several Takamine 12's of the same vintage.

I would say the value on the used market would be between $150 to $250 depending on condition and how bad the buyer wants it. That's just a guess though! I could be way off. Anyway, play it in good health and enjoy!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.