Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Tele-Meister

Nice!

2. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

Hi Larry and fellow Hohner lovers!

Didn't realize it's been a couple years since I've visited the page. I really enjoyed reading through all the posts and seeing folks guitars. Congrats to those who have acquired some really fine instruments. Really loving Ken H's semi-hollow HJ-5, looks like it just wants to sing and be played... very nice my friend. Makes me wanna play some "NUGE" tunes.

Over the last couple years I've acquired a few other Hohner guitars. Here I share the two jumbo acoustic HG guitars. Not great pics, but I acquired a HG-701 (12 String) in a trade from a guy in Denver. Sounds so wonderful and rich. I play a lot of old Neil Young, America, and Seals & Crofts tunes on it along with my harmonicas. It's heaven! Also grabbed a HG-710 that was in the used guitar section of Guitar Center in Boise ID when I was passing through on a road trip. This plays nice also, just not as sweet sounding as the 701 for all who know and love playing a 12 string.

FYI - There's and HG-920 on ebay right now at $400.00 last I checked. There was also an HG-930 that I broke down an bought during my lunch break for $500.00

"Keep on Rockin' in the FREE World!!! RG

guess I forgot how to post pics... maybe their in my gallery

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    JerryW likes this.
  3. Stringbender11

Hohners seem to be unknown gems in the world of guitars. I'm seriously amazed at how well my Hohner Rockwood Strat plays, better than any Fender I've owned - US models included. The hardware is very cheap, but the action is VERY low and the guitar sounds more like a Strat than an actual Strat. In fact I'm actually selling my Fenders now and plan on buying another Hohner.

Sounds like the acoustics are pretty nice too, huh?

4. AceChase

AceChase TDPRI Member

HG 930

Hey Rockin Gramps,

I was so close to buying that HG 930 so many times. Owner had it on craigslist for $450 for about 20 days. He sent me pictures and the neck angle scared me. The only reason is because I bought a yairi online without playing it and sure enough, when I received it, the action was very high cause of the neck angle. Very hard to play. I have since got the yairi fixed and it is a great guitar again.

That particular HG 930 was sold from REVERB for $600 in February with a ringing endorsement and then was again for sale for what seemed like only a month later and for less money. With that knowledge and the side view picture of the string angle in relation to the neck, it scared me off. It is a beautiful guitar to look at. I'm still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger a couple weeks ago.

So I have to ask are you happy with the guitar?

The original owner, Eric's Boutique, made it sound like it was a incredible guitar. I also own a Hohner HG 04s. It is such a easy guitar to play. Made me a complete believer of these old Hohenrs. I'm hoping to upgrade the setup and see how much more tone I can pull from it.

If there is anyone here in the know, How do the Limited Edition 310 and 320's stack up the the Arbor 900 series?

Attached Files:

5. Rockin Gramps

Howdy Ace Chase,

The 930 arbor series is a sweet guitar. I was just sitting out front playing w/o having done anything to it. It plays very easy and has great tone that just rings on an on. It plays fine just the way it is. The bridge appears to be a little high and the neck could use an adjustment. I may have my guitar luthier make an adjustment and install a Dean Markley Trinity p/u system in the near future. I didn't have any knowledge of it's prior history, but have no regrets pulling the trigger on it. I'm very happy w/it

As for the 310LE's, I own two and love them both. Very bright loud sound and strong notes top to bottom. I posted pics earlier in this group of both guitars side by side. The headstock Hohner inlay is very different on the earliest models compared to the ones advertised w/Hank Williams Jr. There is no binding around the headstock on the early models. Also the truss rod adjustment is made at the headstock where as the later models are made from the sound hole. I've only come across one other early model which was advertised in the used guitar section of Hollywood's Guitar Center. A few years ago. Everything else is the same and they're two of my favorites to play. Here's a pic early run model us on left and the more common one on the right ImageUploadedByTDPRI1409009368.863518.jpg

6. AceChase

AceChase TDPRI Member

Glad to hear your happy with it. It looks to be in much better condition then the HG 920 currently on ebay.

Do the 310LE compare favorably to the HG 930? I see 310's around much more often and at a cheaper price. 310 LE is all solid correct?

Do these old hohners use bone?

7. Rockin Gramps

The nut and bridge on the 930 are bone. The nut and bridge on the 310le's are a man made plastic type. The man made played fine and sounded good, but I had my luthier set up and replace both w/bone.

The sides and back on the 930 are laminated. I think the 940 & 950 were the only solid s&b in the 900 Arbor series. I also own a Arbor G912 and it has laminated s&b. The 310le's are also laminated s&b's

8. texpatriate

texpatriate NEW MEMBER!

About a year ago I picked what was described as an all solid wood Hohner - it was listed as a prototype obtained from a Hohner rep. It is a beautiful guitar and has a wonderful tone. Unfortunatley, the neck may have split below the nut. Initially I thought it was just the finish ... maybe from an impact (although it was very well packed) but it just doesn't seem the finish would appear as it does unless there was significant movement of the wood beneath it. And I didn't want to return such a unique guitar.

The label says "All Solid Rose". It does have wood binding and a wood heel cap. I removed the end pin and it does appear there's a rosewood veneer over a single or solid piece (last photo).

Regardless, it sounds nice. Looks great, too .... well, all but the neck .... sigh.

[​IMG]
    ___
    [​IMG]
    ___
    [​IMG]
    ___
    [​IMG]
    ___
    [​IMG]
    ___
    [​IMG]
    ___
    [​IMG]
    ___
    [​IMG]

9. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

IMG_20140503_174942.jpg

IMG_20140503_174927.jpg

This is my old Hohner. Nice low, fast action, and it actually sounds pretty impressive. I found it while doing a pawnshop crawl. It cleaned up nice and came with a rubber and aluminum bumpered case that matches my old Traynor Guitarmate 3 from 1976.

It is made out of real solid wood, and a nice cap. It weighs about one pound more than my Gibson Les Paul. It has endless sustain. It is a nice Les Paul Custom style instrument.

It was still 100% original when this picture was taken. I have broken a volume knob since and it now has Gibson tophats on it until I can find an original.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  10. Reset

Reset TDPRI Member

Hi Hohner Owners!

Here are a few pics of my recently modified L59.

I got the idea to drop some filter'tron-style pups in an LP so went after an L59 as I have owned a purple burst model since I was 17 and I'm a big fan of the build quality (and reassuring weight) of these superb and underrated guitars. Great chassis to do some hot rodding on. The pups are from the Manchester Creamery and sound absolutely amazing, particularly the neck. Jangle, twang and clang for days.

The guitar was cheap on eBay and I have two other all original L59s so it didn't feel too sacrilegious... Plus the original hardware was gold and had tarnished substantially. I switched it all out for chrome but kept everything just in case.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Stringbender11

Wow, that is a beauty!

12. Reset

Reset TDPRI Member

Thanks Stringbender!

Also I have a question. Does anyone know anything about the HL59 model? production dates, approx value etc? I saw one advertised on ebay just after I got the guitar pictured above and couldn't really justify another purchase so immediately. It looked great and went for just £120 which I'm guessing is a real steal since these models seem to come up so infrequently. Does anyone have any info to share? Here is a link to the ebay listing

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  13. Stringbender11

I dont have an answer for the above question but wanted to mention how tough it is to find any info on Hohner electrics. From my web research it seems like the vast majority of them were sent to Europe/the UK where they seem to be pretty highly regarded. As compared to the US where they generally seem to be considered junk for some reason.

The acoustics get a little more respect but are also very underrated in the US. Makes it pretty easy to find nice guitars at a good price, but man getting much info on them is a pretty fruitless task.

14. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I would put my '80's Hohner Les Paul Custom copy, bolt on neck, up against any real Les Paul with respect to playability or sound. I have a good Gibson Les Paul.

The Hohner that I own is value plus, on all fronts. I treasure it as much as my real Gibson. It is in my top 4 of 16 guitars that I own; which makes it top 4 out of at least 50 plus guitars that I have owned. IMG_20140503_174942.jpg

The Japanese electric Hohners were made in the Moridaira (Morris Guitars) plant. In 1970 they became the exclusive, and recognized sole distributor of well known Hohner products.

In 1964, "Mauri" built guitars of such good quality that both Gibson and Fender gave him the Japanese rights. He was allowed to study both of those product lines in the U.S. and build in Japan. From what I read, they really liked him.

My wife did me a favor and messed up my files on the Hohner notes that I had hand written on my desk. So that is all for now.

15. Reset

Reset TDPRI Member

Hey Tone Chase. Lovely guitar you got there and it looks like it's in fantastic condition especially given its age. The 70s bolt neck models look wonderful and are hard to come by here in the UK.

I agree with your comments on the value these old Hohner guitars represent - given that you can pick up a 90s L59 in good condition for half the price of a new Epiphone, it's madness. No idea what the HG430 models are worth, any clue?

Fully agree with Stringbender that there is very little info available online, I have spent hours digging!

16. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

Mine is a Japanese HG430, likely mid eighties from what I have found from an advertising brochure on the internet. I don't think anyone will ever have a data base on serial numbers.

The '90's L59 with that headstock are most likely Korean from what I have read.

Information is out there; and I had found enough to satisfy me on what my guitar was. You have to dig hard and ask the right questions.

On my guitar the action is very, very low, with vintage frets. The action was low when I found it. I was able to adjust it to half of what it was. It is a full pound heavier than my Gibson. I put a new set of Gibson Vintage Reissue pure nickel wound 10 through 46 strings on it and it just roars. I think it can sound like Les Paul himself was playing it; if I had the technique.

I opened up one of the pickups to see what is inside. I should have taken a picture. I did think about upgrading the pickups and pots to see if I could get more out of it. I have gathered up some pickups worth trying, but have decided to leave her "as is, original".

It is worth leaving this one alone just to see the face on someone who plays it and can't believe what they have in their hands. Especially when I tell them it is all stock and what I paid for it.

It was well played, covered in sweat/DNA. The gold covered components had layers of dead polish on them that were never fully removed. I cleaned it up with time and water. The pickup covers looked very vintage worn. Washing them, made then look less gold; almost silver. It lost some of that 'mojo' look from when I found it. It is a beauty guitar that looks like 1959-60. I think it sounds like it too. It can get a little muddy, but I think that is in the pots and how hard it pushes a pedal and tube amp combination. It has that deep, full sound of back then.

17. Stringbender11

My Hohner LX100G Strat - the one I posted a pic of earlier - is a strange guitar. Its got a thin body, dyed fretboard, and very cheap hardware - stamped tuners, stamped trem block, stamped pickups even! But the guitar plays beautifully with very low, buzz-free action. Immaculate fretwork, too.

And soundwise it sounds more like a Strat than my Fender does - the Fender which I no longer play now that I have the Hohner. So I'm wondering, is this guitar a fluke? In any case I'm now on the lookout to buy a 2nd one of these, if I ever come across one.

18. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Sorry to break in here, but can anyone tell me anything about a Hohner Hg12D 12 string guitar? B/S wood used, top used? Thanks, just bought one.

19. Reset

Reset TDPRI Member

Hi tiw68w,

I just bought a Hohner TE Standard and I couldn't find anything much about it on the net (loads of info about Custom and Prinz models, nothing about the Standard). So I emailed Hohner at this site
    http://us.playhohner.com/contact-us/
    ...and got a response very quickly giving me the spec of the guitar, year of manufacture and rough USD cost when new.

Others on the forum may be able to give you some info about your HG12D, but failing that it's really worth getting in touch with Hohner directly. Cheers!

20. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

thanks for the reply Reset!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.