Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Cool, texpatriate! :cool: That's a great looking pair of 360s! :D

On an off-topic note or two...

"texpatriate" + "DrySide, WA" = An expatriated Texan in eastern Washington state?

"PNW" - "Purt' near wasted"? "Particularly nasty wedgie"?

"quinquagenarian" - ? (Yeah, I'm too lazy to look it up...:oops:)

2. LGOberean

Anyone else gigged or played out with a Hohner this weekend? I played my beloved G-940 at church this morning, and then tonight took her to a bonfire at the beach. I was a little hesitant to play her out at the beach. I'm going to clean her up before I go to bed, and change the strings tomorrow.

So anyway...anybody else...?

3. LGOberean

I've mentioned a couple of times my intention to re-string my HG-14 classical. It still has the same strings on it that it came with! I bought a set of D'Addario Pro Arte EJ46 strings (silverplated wound, hard tension). I've never used hard tension strings before, thought I'd give them a try. A couple of weeks after I bought them, I hadn't re-strung the guitar yet, and I mentioned it here to give myself more incentive to get it done.

Well, it's been a month since that, I still haven't gotten around to it! :oops: So I'm saying it here, I'm going to shoot for re-stringing the guitar tomorrow. I'm saying it now so that someone here can hold me to account if I don't do it. You have my permission to give me a kick-in-the-butt reminder.

4. LGOberean

Well, I got 'er done! :D ;) Just committing myself to it in this thread proved to be good incentive. I've restrung my HG-14, with D'Addario Pro Arte EJ46 Hard Tension strings. I started a thread about the strings specifically, here...

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/acoustic...sical-guitar-strings-normal-hard-tension.html

I'm loving the warmth of tone I get from this guitar, the solid cedar top has got to be a large part of that. A cedar top is my preference over spruce for a classical guitar. Shoot, now that I think of it, my Hohner DR550 also has a solid cedar top, and I love the rich warm tone from that guitar, too.

5. LGOberean

I've had a request to post pics of my Hohner HG-14 classical. I've said many times on TDPRI that I am a lousy photographer, and that I prefer to get my wife's help. I'm also somewhat technologically challenged. Anyway, my wife's been super busy lately, so I tried to take my own photographs and upload them.

Well, I freely admit that there may be some operator error involved, but my attempt to process them failed. I took pics with my phone and tried to email them to myself. When I tried to view them on my desktop, they never showed up in my email inbox. It's like they evaporated into cyberspace. If I find them or they do show up, I'll try to upload them, but for now I'm not having much luck.

6. NewPort

NewPort Tele-Meister

My first acoustic guitar, a Hohner HW03 3/4. It came with a plastic nut, saddle, and bridge pins. The string height at the nut was pretty good. I sanded about 1/16" off the high e side and about 3/16 of the low E side of the saddle. This puts the action at a tight 1/16, high e, to a loose 1/16, low E, at the 12th fret. The measured scale length is 23 1/8". The overall length is 36". The open back tuners are pretty good.

I got this guitar for less than $80.00 with the idea of modding it with a sound hole pickup. I tried a 4k ohm strat pickup and a 7.4k humbucker, the humbucker looked good but was muddy sounding and the strat was so-so. On a whim I tried a 7.9k strat style pickup that came from a Jay Turser Mustang copy. This pickup sounds surprisingly good. It has no volume control but I did put a 470k ohm resister across the pickup leads to load it and is jacked through an end-pin jack. When I started playing with the pickups the b and e were very low volume, it seems they were stainless or some metal with low magnetic properties. I changed them out with a steel .010 and .014 which gives it a balanced output across all the strings.

This is a fun, easy playing, guitar that weighs in at about 3pd 11oz.

Attached Files:

7. J Ritt

J Ritt NEW MEMBER!

Hi Guys,
    Long time lurker here. I'm in the process of slimming down my acoustic dreadnought collection, and I have a Hohner HG-310 LE that I'm thinking about letting go. (I also have a couple of others that may be of interest to a vintage MIJ aficionado- 70's Ibanez Artwood, 80's Yairi, etc.).

I'm the second owner of the HG-310. The original owner had it for over 30 years. It's in really, really nice shape. A few minor little indentations, but nothing major at all. I figured I'd post it up here to you fine folks before putting it out into general circulation. It's a fantastic guitar, and I'd rather see someone get it who will really appreciate it. If anyone is interested feel free to email me for more info. Also, I have a ton of transactions on mylespaul and thegearpage under the screen name jritt. Thanks!

Yah, yah, I know...pics or I'm full of it! :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Ok, I've read everything and jpoined now...

I am asking for some help. I have an Arbor series HG-912 coming soon.
    What I want to know and can't seem to find out is what are the back and sides wood in this model? The best match I can come up with is possibly curly ovangkol. The brochure sheet says woods used were rosewood, select mahogany and macassa? huh? macassar ebony maybe?

So if anyone REALLY knows for sure or can point me to a document or a factory picture, I would be most grateful!

I'm a 12 string addict, well I do have 2 six string guitars, bought one to try alternate tunings and then I saw one in really beautiful shape and it has great tone for a small guitar!
    Well a guy can't have too many guitars can he?

9. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Beautiful guitar! Just one problem, it needs 6 more strings!

10. LGOberean

Hmmm...you're 65 and this is your first acoustic? The way you talk about modding, it doesn't sound like this is your first guitar. So this is the first acoustic you've owned? Sounds like you're really having fun with the project.

11. NewPort

NewPort Tele-Meister

You've made me re-think my statement. I believe it was about 1976 I had a medium size Montgomery Ward nylon string acoustic, cost about $19.95. I think I sold it at a yard sale a couple of years later for $10.00. With the advent of internet, and retirement boredom, I decided to give guitar playing, or practicing, another go. Got my first tele style guitar about 2 1/4 years ago. I was interested in Mosrite guitars but that would have been a diy'ers nightmare or at least a lot more expensive.

So, I should have said, "my second acoustic guitar, a Hohner HW03 3/4." I have a couple of tele style, a couple of epi les pauls and a jay turser mustang which are all parts guitars and occasionally I go through practice on all of them just to hear the different sounds and the Hohner, in electric mode, is very nice, maybe the most pleasing, with a full woody sound and a nice chime or sparkle (what's that really mean? I don't know but it seemed like good words to express the sound).

12. Kris Wave

Kris Wave NEW MEMBER!

Hi!

Just bought this guitar off Ebay for mare £69 with a hard case... guys any idea from which year does it come from and its specs?

All I know it's a Hohner Arbor Series and that's it :p

Thanks,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

Hohner DR500CE

I am the new owner of a used Hohner DR500ce.

It has a spruce top that is lacking in bass. The top end is fine, even shimmering and crisp, but it lacks "boom".

I have tried D'addario 80/20 12s, and D'addario PB EJ16 and not found what I'm looking for yet.

Can anyone make a suggestion on what to try next for strings that bring more bass?

Thanks.

14. LGOberean

Offhand, I don't have any specs or dates to give you. When I get a chance, I'll look into it. I do know the Arbor series acoustics were from 1978 - 1985.

But, man! Dates and specs aside for a minute, that is one beautiful guitar! :D

15. pszy22

pszy22 NEW MEMBER!

I bought a Hohner Essential Roots ER1-SOOSB a couple of weeks ago. I'm bought it from a guy who worked at a music store, the guitar had some work done to it by the store, he bought it from the store with the intention of reselling it.

I'm very happy with it, it looks like they had swapped out the original nut, can't find anything else which may have been done. The more I play it, the more I like it.

What's interesting, as I look at the Hohner site, it looks like the entire Essential Roots line may have been recently discontinued. They were listed a few weeks ago, now I don't see a listing.

16. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Hi, I just wanted to post my 12 string guitar, hg-912 that Hohner has confirmed that that the back and sides are indeed obancole mistranslation German company of ovangkpol wood for anybody interested, thanks. Now I know for sure Thanks to fellow in Canada who also beileved it to be ovangkol.

17. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Tele-Meister

My '92 Hohner Rockwood. Cheap components and buttery neck add up to one awesome playing guitar. :)

[​IMG]

18. houseofcharm

houseofcharm TDPRI Member

Hi all, 1st post in here and what a comforting find-buncha Hohner fans. I've had ongoing 'discussions' online with HG owners and my position is, having owned 25-30 hohner HGs and having 8-10 now, that Hohner never made a solid wood hollow body. My earliest ones were form 73-74 with the script logo. I have a shot of my 310 in the end pin hole and clearly seen are t3 plies. The factories were masters of bookmatching plys(been in the French antiques biz for 43 years so know woods), which is why the grains seem to match. I have 2 cracked top HGs now, 360 & a 905 and the 360 had a small tap on the base which slightly peeled the plys.

Just a wet blanket 1st post to brighten your day...I more than anyone, wish these were all solid but it's not the case unless someone has pics to the contrary. All great guitars, even the lower models. I'll add pics in a later post. I can also post the 1980 price list if it hasn't been done already-only read through the 1st 1/2 of this voluminous thread, yes, a thread jumper.

19. houseofcharm

My 905 w/the slipped neck block-sounds and plays better than some intact guitars!

And a utoob of my pal Eric on it with his buzzy raggin' style and my cheesy camera-it'd be me if I could do what he does:

and

Attached Files:

20. houseofcharm

And while I'm thread crashing, here the blond 360 that someone electrified-lovely condition-I have a sunburst 360 I had since new in 81 from the guy that bought out the warehouse when Hohner gave up on guitars. I got about 6 from him including a 940 & 950 I stupidly sold.

See if you can name those TV tunes;

And what the hell, while were at it, my now sold HG03 classical:

And for those not sick of it yet, Cannonball Rag on the 905 erroneously noted as a 940(wishful posting):

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.