Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

For sure!
    Maybe I'll direct him here.... he is pretty savvy with the email action.

Just something to think about... he was a Hohner clinician, and was helping them in the designs, so maybe he has a prototype/preproduction guitar? Would kinda make sense.

Or, you know, he IS a long time pro musician... his memory could be a little... foggy from the good times, right hahahaha.

Aloha

2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Today my wife and I went to a flea market and some antique shops in a nearby town. In one of the shops I saw a cheap guitar case and so I asked the proprietor about it. She said, "The guitar brand is something that starts with an 'H'."

"Would it be 'Hohner', by chance?" She said, "Yeah, I think that's it." With permission granted to open up the case, I did so, and sure enough, a Japanese vintage Hohner HG-14 classical! :D Solid cedar top, laminate mahogany back & sides, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard.

For a guitar that is 30 years old or more, it has the expected wear and tear, as in nicks and dings. On the top of the guitar there are a couple of scratches on the lower bout, one of which goes to the wood, but you don't really see them unless closer than 10 feet away.

Whoever owned this used a pick on it. So on the treble side of the soundhole there are scratch marks. (There was a 0.88 gauge nylon pick in the case, presumably that was the culprit.) But again, you have to be really up close to see the scratches.

Tuning keys were fine, and the guitar tuned up easily, and played well. I'm used to more projection from an acoustic guitar (I haven't owned a classical in 31 years).

As I began to test it out, other customers were coming into the shop. The mom & pop proprietors pulled up a chair for me and let me play as they attended to their other customers. People began to compliment my playing (you can fool some of the people some of the time ;)), and thanked me for playing things that hadn't heard in a while.

The sticker price was $150, I counter-offered $100, and they came back with $125. I pulled the trigger! :D I knew basically what I had, especially since it was Japanese vintage, and I didn't want to walk away. Since I've gotten home, I see online where others have paid less for theirs, but I'm happy with my purchase.

Besides, the couple asked me to come back on a subsequent Saturday and play in their shop. They noticed the draw that live music was for their shop, so I should get a $200 gig out of this. A few hours of play on a Saturday, and I'll have earned more than I paid for this guitar. Sweet! ;) :D

No pics yet, I'll get around to it when I can.

4. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

You find the good deals.

5. LGOberean

This was a good deal for me, that's for sure. :D I've been playing her every day since.

6. winstonteacox

winstonteacox TDPRI Member

Hi!

This is my beauty, a Hohner SE 35 I bought 1995. The only thing I changed are the knobs ( I like the Strat-Style more) and the potentiometers (original Gibson now). And the bridge, which is a Harley-Benton replacement bridge that looks exactly like the Hohner original bridge. The pickups are real Humbuckers, somewhere I read they are designed by Kent Armstrong, but I don't know really .... Anyway, they sound really good - bluesy and jazzy as you want, but also bright and rocky if you like. In the nearly 20 years I played it, the guitar aged and darkened nicely - it was much brighter, when I bought it.

I am no native english speaker, so please excuse my bad english ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D
    cheers,

Bernd

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. LGOberean

Your English is fine.

That is a nice guitar. Hohner's version of a Gibson 335?

8. winstonteacox

winstonteacox TDPRI Member

Thank you, LGOberean.

Yes, it is a 335 copy. Some say, it's the best 335 copy you can get. Like the original, it has a sustain block. Only the headstock is a little bit smaller. The top is mahogany-plywood with a small maple layer. According to the official description, the neck should also be mahogany, but my SE 35 definitely has a maple neck. The laquer seems to be real nitro, because it gets darker under the influence of light (uv-radiation).

The Hohner SE 35 were built from the end of the eighties for a few years. I bought mine 1995 and I am glad that I kept her, because it's a very very good guitar.

cheers,
    Bernd

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  9. SteveZ

SteveZ NEW MEMBER!

Just found this forum and posts dated last year about the Hohner HG720. Have one and it's had 25 great years with me so far. Bought it in a local pawn shop as a great bargain and it is a marvel. The older it gets, the better it sounds.

Attached Files:

10. AceChase

AceChase TDPRI Member

Hi all, I am new to forum. I have been searching a long time for arbor series guitar but with no luck. I did just purchase a G-04-S. Does anyone have or know much about this particular model? I am waiting for it to arrive in a couple of days but by all pictures i have seen, it appeared to be in excellent condition. What i am wondering is if the 'S' stands for solid body? Thank you in advance for any replys.

11. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

That is one beautiful guitar Steve. WOW! Welcome to the TDPRI!

12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I've owned a Hohner HW640 acoustic for about 8 years now which is about 7 years longer than I've ever owned another guitar, and I owned this. Hohner Revelation RTS twice. It was stolen the one and only time I ever used fedex, but I recovered it 2 years later from the idiot thief when he posted it on CL, serial number and all. I keep lots of pics of all the guitars I buy/sell/trade.

[​IMG]

13. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum Ace! You got yourself a great guitar and it is indeed a solid top instrument. If I recall correctly, (which is getting harder every day!) the 'Hohner' name on the headstock is like others in the pics here and is inlaid and goes from top to bottom instead of across....correct? Again, welcome here Ace. Please post some pics of your Hohner when it arrives....and looking forward to reading your thoughts on the craftsmanship, tone and playability.

14. AceChase

AceChase TDPRI Member

Thank you BB. The 'Hohner' Logo does indeed run vertical. I visited a site for Hohner historical guitar models http://www.hohner.eu/ablage/med_00008367_1302781714_Hohner-HistoricalModels.pdf and they list the G04s as 'Body Construction: Solid'.
    I was hoping that meant back and sides as well.
    UPS stopped by today with the guitar but I was not able to leave work in time to meet them. Now I must patiently wait until Monday. I have 1977 DY74C Yairi that I want to compare the G04s to.

leftcoastarborist likes this.
  15. LGOberean

I just finished playing my Hohner HG-14 classical for about 30 minutes. I've had her for about a month now, so I thought I'd give a quick update.

It still has the same strings on it that it came with, but I just bought a set of D'Addario Pro Arte EJ46 strings, silverplated wound, hard tension. I've never used hard tension strings before, thought I'd give them a try.

I play this guitar both fingerstyle and picking. For a pick I have used both an Everly Star pick .73mm and a Jim Dunlop nylon, also .73mm. I think I prefer the Dunlop. I use a pick when I want to cop that Willie vibe, as when playing "Crazy," "On the Road Again," etc.

Playing fingerstyle, I'm working on arrangements of classic soft rock tunes ("Groovy Kind of Love," "Let It Be," etc.) and composition or two of my own.

16. LGOberean

I've been putting off re-stringing my Hohner HG-14, but I hadn't realized that it's been more than two weeks! :eek: :oops: I've been procrastinating partly because I don't like going through the stretching the strings period. Silly of me, really. A day or two of inconvenience, and then they settle in. Gotta get on with it.

17. armando

armando TDPRI Member

Here's my Hohner acoustic MW400N Leyenda. This is a cheap budget guitar, it was given to me by my daughter's then-boyfriend in the early 90s, after he gave up trying to play. No wonder, it had 5 strings, awful action, rusty tuners and a belly like Paul Gascoigne. At the time I liked the idea of owning a communist-built guitar (he was Albanian), but later I found out that Hohner is, and always was, in southern Germany, while Hofner (as in Paul's Beatle bass) was in the East, now Czech Republic. My mistake.

The guitar is based on a Martin X-braced Dreadnought, and after I replaced the tuners, nut, saddle, pins and fitted a JLD bridge doctor, it came back to life. Now it plays great and sounds as good as the Martin it's based on. Don't underestimate these guitars - Hohners are very well made. We gig and record regularly and noone's complained yet.

Attached Files:

18. LGOberean

Hohners are quite regularly underestimated, but I guess if you're trying to track down an old model used, that can be a good thing.

A Hohner with a JLD bridge doctor. Interesting. I have 3 Hohners now, none have had need of such "doctoring," but I do have a Breedlove acoustic/electric that came new with the JLD Bridge system. Great guitar.

19. LGOberean

I shared a couple of months ago about acquiring my Hohner HG-14 classical, and about the couple in the resale shop wanting me to come play a gig for them. Well, I got a call from them, but, wouldn't you know it, I already had a gig. :(

Oh, well. I recommended someone else, he couldn't do it, either, but he turned them on to a musician friend ours that took the gig. Margaret, the owner, said she'd call me again. So hopefully I'm going to recoup my investment yet. :D

20. texpatriate

texpatriate NEW MEMBER!

Greetings BB ... from a fellow PNW quinquagenarian.

I've been fortunate to have a 360M and 360R sitting side by side for nearly a year. The maple's been with me for about 35 years. When I got the rosewood, it felt the same, but the tone was indeed richer; the bass was bigger. I can't help but pick it up every day. I leave it in various drop tunings.

The twins ...

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.