Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

That paint job isn't for me, but that 3 piece rosewood back is beautiful! And yeah, the position markers! :D

Hope she is a cannon and plays like butter for ya! :D

2. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

dude, NO ONE like the pain job apparently
    hahaha
    I'm cool with it, obviously, my wife likes it, but then, thats it.
    The head of the music department, my bandmates, other people in the music program... they all hate it. I kinda like that though. I don't know why I have to fight against the grain so much with a smile but what the hell.

The shop is swearing up and down the tonality is beautiful. I figure, worst case scenario in the event the sound sucks, I'll have to spend a extra few dollars and have the top refinished. (I wonder what Steve Grimes will charge to even speak to me about potential repair work) I'll have my balance paid off by the end of the week and then it'll be shipped to me here on Maui.

I'll post pics upon arrival....

Aloha

lavrgs likes this.
  3. LGOberean

Over in the "Resonators" thread, I've been checking out the Hohner HR-200CE model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In that thread, fellow TDPRIer boyan11 posted about his Hohner HR-200CE. He even posted a YT vid of a song where he used his Hohner reso for a solo.

Anyone else out there have one of these?

4. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Here is my beauty....a 1978 Hohner HG360R. This was a gift from a great brother on the forum here. First off, I am blown away by his generosity, kindness and giving heart. However, after knowing him for a while, this type of offering does not surprise me one bit.....he has an amazing heart to give. Anyway, I love this guitar! Not only does it play beautifully, the tone is truly splendid.

Attached Files:

5. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

BB.... That 360R is rad!
    You got hooked the F up. Wow. Nice friend.
    If you ever want to part with that thing.... hahahaha. DONT!!!!

The neck on my 360M plays unlike any other neck I have had my hands around.
    What do you reckon the neck & fingerboard to be made of?
    Are you going to be adding any pickup to it, or keep it as is?

I was hoping to find one of those when I stumbled on the 730 I bought... congrats

6. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you slacker! I dig your 360M!! I would love to play these two side by side and compare the tone between maple back and sides and rosewood back and sides.

One thing I do know is the Arbors and HG's of this ilk are wonderful guitars. You mentioned how good the neck feels and I agree 100%....just a great feeling neck. Top notch woods put together by top notch luthiers equals a top notch guitar.

Mine has an amazing amount of volume, but even more than that is how detailed and complex the tone is. Also, for a dread sized guitar, this baby responds to finger picking like a 0. Just a crazy, crazy good, quality guitar.

7. LGOberean

I'm wondering about this. I've been looking at budget resonators in general, and the Hohner HR-200CE specifically. Well, it seem SX guitars has a reso model that is the same as the Hohner, except for the headstock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks to me like this reso is just manufactured by whatever factory in China or somewhere, and the name on the headstock depends upon the customer.

8. LGOberean

Late last month I did a recording session in a local studio. My wife's Christmas present to me was a day of studio time. I promptly came down with bronchitis, and so wasn't able to redeem the gift until Feb. 25th. Most of the songs recorded were using my beloved old Hohner G-940. I've posted pics of her numerous times, but here she is again just so you don't have to go scrolling through back pages...

[​IMG]

The studio owner/engineer is the son of a good friend of mine. Of course he used mics to record my guitar, I don't know which ones, but I think they were Neumanns.

I haven't heard much of the final product yet, there is something wrong with the disc drive on my computer. When I get a chance, I'll listen to it on my wife's computer, and eventually I'll get her help in uploading a sound file or something (I'm pretty much useless when it comes to technology). That is, I'll upload something here if the final result isn't too embarrassing. :oops:

9. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

10. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

Larry - sounds like your wife is a good woman! I have to show your post to my wife so she can get the idea hahahaha. Looking forward to the sound clips.
    I keep forgetting to have my wife help me with mine!

Orvillian - Nice finds there.
    I noticed in the ad text for the 360M that the seller mentioned there were only 150 made. Does anyone know how to confirm that that was the number produced?

JerryW likes this.
  11. LGOberean

Something's up with that HG-930.

I checked the link Orvillian provided for that CL listing of the 930 in Lexington. Then I wanted to refresh my memory about tonewoods on that model, so I Googled "Hohner Arbor series HG-930." The first thing that came up was this link...

https://reverb.com/item/76816-hohner-arbor-hg-930-yairi-70-s-japan

This guitar, previously owned by seller and Reverb.com member eric's Boutique of Windsor, WI, sold 2/22/2014 on Reverb.com, presumably for eric's asking price of $599 + $39 Shipping. Notice the pics. Here's one of the back, from the Reverb.com listing, and here's one of the back from that CL listing...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are pics of the view of the guitar from the end pin looking forward, again, first from the Reverb page, then CL listing...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Same guitar, no question. The instrument is obviously sitting on the same footstool in both sets of pics.

Now I'm not trying to say that the CL listing is by someone trying to pull a fast one. I don't know that. Perhaps the Lexington/Jeffersonville person just borrowed the pics from Reverb.com. Maybe he's the very guy that bought the guitar from eric's Boutique, and now he's trying to sell it himself. Maybe his wife threatened him with mandated couch time or worse if he didn't get rid of the guitar she didn't want him to buy in the first place. Maybe it just wasn't to his liking, and so he's selling it (that I find difficult to believe, personally). Maybe he's even more technologically challenged than I am, and couldn't work out how to take his own pics and post them to CL, so he just borrowed eric's. I don't know.

But I do know that I would think twice about that guitar, and ask a bunch of questions. Caveat emptor.

12. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

I appears both of those guitars I posted are listed with that same outfit, or were. I did the same search in regards to the 360m on build quantities and it took me to the same place. I personally have never been screwed over by Ebay or Craigslist but I agree that caution should be used. I bought my 930 via a gentleman over Craigslist having only communicated via email. I always know there is a chance I could get the shaft but so far, so good. These two listings would make me pause upon further review pending how communications went with the seller.

13. LGOberean

Yeah, my wife is a keeper. If for no other reason, she deserves a medal or plaque or something for living with me for all these years. I've been happily married to her for 41 years come April 21st. (You'll have to ask her how many of those years were happy ones for her! :oops:)

As for the 360M, I've also seen the claim by owners/sellers that only 150 were made, but I can't verify that.

14. LGOberean

Speaking of the HG-360 Limited Edition, I've often seen the full page ad in various music magazines of Bucky Barrett's endorsement.

[​IMG]

Recently I came across it again, and noticed the part where the ad copy informs us that Barrett used his HG-360 on the rhythm track of "The King Is Gone." So I looked it up, and had a listen, and now post for your education, edification and enjoyment an example of a Hohner HG-360 LE in use in a studio session.

15. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

LARRY!!!
    Nice post brotha!!!!
    That's a way better sound clip than me posting up my version of "Puamana".
    I'm off the hook? hahahaha

After reading the ad (again), maybe Bucky got a good deal on his HG360 because... he was a Hohner clinician at the time! Can't put that in the ad though hahaha

When I first got my 360 and was looking/trolling for info I kept seeing that ad... and not sure how I found it but I ended up emailing him (Bucky Barrett) directly to see what info you could provide on the guitar. AND HE RESPONDED. Very nice guy.

He explained that he was a Hohner clinician, and that he would go to New York and help with the designing. And that Hohner made some great guitars then... That bit from him is what gave me the gumption I needed to pull the trigger to get my 730 without ever feeling it or hearing it or even smelling it - don't you ever smell your guitars hahaha

Anyways, Bucky told me he loved his 360. But it, along with 22 other guitars and 12 amps were stolen. WHAT A BUMMER. He also said he still has a non cutaway acoustic he has used in the studio for years and years... I should ask him what model that is....
    He'll probably look at my email, say "WTF! this dude again?!?", and delete it. Oh well i hope not lol

Now that guitar that takles up the page in the ad - thats the HG320 Martin Lawsuit model?

16. LGOberean

Great story! Nice to hear more background on the guitars of the day and the pros using them. And it would be interesting to know what model he still has and uses.

Oh, and I relate to the smell thing! The more senses used the better, I say! :lol:

And I believe you're right, that is a HG-320 "lawsuit" model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-32430-Hohner-HG-320

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

Wow
    So I heard back from Bucky. Super nice guy...

Whats the acoustic he has and still uses?
    a 930!!!! He said he got it in 1976...

He also has a 805, which is a jazz box.
    And also a 860, which is like a George Benson semi hollow (with a great flame maple top).

I forgot to ask him if it was okay to post his pictures.... I'll get permission and then load them up.

edit: but how about I post a few pics of my Hohner team?
    Alright! hahaha

Hope everyone is having a good one
    Aloha

Attached Files:

18. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

I am wondering if he is right on the year. It was my impression that none of the 900 series were made until '80

19. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

I hear what you're saying Orvillian...
    Based on the information we have to review.

What I'll do is when I ask Bucky about permission to post his pics I'll also link the document to him and get his opinion. What the hell dude already thinks Im nuts :)

But here's what I am thinking... you might have to look at it sideways, but lets stir the pot a little hahahaha

The Historical Guitar Models document...
    ...the document says production on the (limited edition) 360M was 1978-1985
    My 360M is stamped 6 '77!!!
    WHAT???

So..... I don't know how right that thing is.

Another dude I ran into (on the random! He sent me some nice pics too I'll have to ask if I can share them, too) mentioned his 360 was stamped 76.... he is the one that brought to my attention the date discrepancies.

I am curious what BB's is stamped *cough cough*

Thoughts? Opinions?

20. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

You know what Slacker, I am thinking I am off on the '80 statement. I think '78 was the first year that the 900 series was introduced. It is cool that he is willing to shoot the breeze with you about it. Keep us posted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.