Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. jimtone

jimtone TDPRI Member

I own 2 Hohner Limited Edition HG model guitars from the mid 1970s. I have an HG-310 which is the Hank Williams ad and the HG-320 and both are Limited Edition "hand made for Hohner" in Japan and both have solid bear glaw spruce tops with solid rosewood sides and backs. I saw an HG-310 haveing a neck reset a few years before finding my 2 guitars and when looking at the neck joint with the neck removed I could see the sides were solid rosewood and the binding was separating near the neck joint on the back side which showed the back on the bottom piece was also solid rosewood(back is 2 pieces on the HG-310 and 3 pieces on the HG-320). I read a sales brochure from 77' for the Limited Edition Hohners that said the bodies were solid and not laminated, but I'm thinking this may have changed as they moved past the 1978 models since I've seen newer HG-320s without the theater ticket shaped "hand made for Hohner" plaq next to the paper lable in the soundhole that didn't say Limited Edition. I've also noticed other Hg-310 guitars with the headstock shaped like the later Arbor models where mine both have the headstock shaped like a Martin with no beveled end. These older HG models are really very loud and have the great tone of a pre 70s Martin.

2. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

That is the first time I have seen a date stamped on one of these HG 900 series models.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Me too, that's a first for me as well. I should clarify that I'm talking about pictures of serial #'s/inside the soundhole of other HG 900 series guitars. The only 900/Arbor series guitar I've ever had eyes and hands on directly is my own.

BTW, speaking of interesting soundhole information, has anyone seem something like what I have in mine, i.e., that upside down stamp on one of the cross braces, "S13"? I reported this along with a pic in a post on the previous page (see below for that pic again), but I've never known just quite what to make of it.

[​IMG]

4. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

The HJ4 is enroute!

Hey guys, got contacted through the list about a week ago from an individual with an HJ4 for sale. After correspondances and a few phone calls and a bunch of pics, it is on its way here to be with the HJ3 and HJ5. Got the fed ex tracking today and its on the way. I'll post pics of all three together shortly, its due in approx. Thursday. This is so awesome, but it leaves the question......now that I have it, What will I be looking for next? The search is over. I currently have nothing on the front or back burners. Kind of strange to have arrived at this point after all the searches and dead ends. What will catch my eye? Well, whatever it is, it should be interesting at the very least. I'll post again soon. Later. Todd.

5. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

I think I may have unsubscribed from the list inadvertantly during my HJ4 frenzy. Do I need to go through the subscription process again? or, can i be reinstated via this post? Thanks again for your time. Todd.

6. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

HJ4 is here, pics!

Well it is here and in very nice condition. Plastic is still on the pick guard and it is a deep blue, but the stripes show beautifully when the light hits it right. This is what I've been looking for. I'm posting all three, the HJ 3,4, and 5. also threw in a few pics of the Fender reso cutaway that was a $50 pawn shop find during the HJ4 search. I really love these Honers!

Attached Files:

7. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

heres the $50 find

It was too cool and low priced to leave it at the pawn shop. It has a telecaster pickup in it as well so maybe some relevence to the list?

Attached Files:

8. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

My wife just said "Happy birthday baby" so yes it is! So how hard is it to find an HG 940 as in the previous post?

9. LGOberean

Unfortunately, HG-940s are not easy to find. I bought mine new in 1983. I've wanted to find another one or even an HG-950 for some time now. So far, no luck. Good luck to you in your search.

10. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

I will have to get into mine with the dental mirror and see what else I might find.

11. LGOberean

Well, it's been a while! :eek: I have a new post to make that is somewhat related to Hohner guitars, specifically my Hohner G-940.

Some of you may have noticed I have a new avatar. Here it is in a larger size...

[​IMG]

This is a drawing of me playing my beloved Hohner G-940. And the artist is my 15 year old granddaughter Elizebeth (family spelling). After our Thanksgiving celebration, I was playing guitar, sitting in the rocking chair my wife and I bought when we found out she was pregnant with our firstborn and first daughter, Elizebeth's mother. I've posted a pic of Elizebeth before, when she was 10 years old with my mahogany Logan Tele slung over her shoulders...

[​IMG]

Elizebeth didn't get the details of the Hohner right; she was I guess more focused on capturing her PawPaw. I had my hair tied back, was wearing a blue plaid flannel shirt, with the typical blue jeans and roper boots. I had Beth take a pic of me posed the way I was that afternoon, but I'm not only lousy at taking pics, I'm also easily befuddled at trying to save them to my hard drive from my wife's email! :oops: I'll get that one up later, with my wife's help. So in addition to the artistic rendering, another pic of my G-940 is on the way! :D

12. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

Nice drawing.

13. LGOberean

Thanks. I'm very proud of her. I look forward to seeing where this goes for her.

This kind of artistic talent amazes me. I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler, :oops: so to watch her just dash this off in 20-30 minutes while I'm noodling around on my Hohner in the living room...well, again, amazing! :D

14. boyan11

boyan11 TDPRI Member

My Hohner Reso. I upgraded the cone to a national and ToneRited it which really helped (Tonerite was after this video)

lavrgs likes this.
  15. LGOberean

Sorry I'm a little late in responding, but that was sweeeeet!!! Okay, pretty bluesy, so maybe bittersweet! :rolleyes:

Are you going to do another vid that showcases the effects of the Tonerite playing-in? I've never known anyone to use one. So in your opinion that device really works?

16. boyan11

boyan11 TDPRI Member

Hey Larry, thank you!

I think making a video showing the ToneRite would be a difficult task for me and I've seen some pretty well made ones and they still don't convince me, especially after using the device. I'd say just try it and see if it works for you.

The ToneRite… it definitely worked great on some of my guitars: It definitely helped the reso a whole lot, as it did help my Ovation baritone acoustic. Those were big time improvements and easy to catch.
    There was a small improvement in my dreadnaught and I didn't really hear a difference in the electric ones (strat, tele). I kept a log of what guitar, when the process was started/ended, results…

Also, the effect is somewhat temporary - if you don't play that particular instrument it will go back to sleep. The dreadnaught fell asleep soon after, the reso is still ok, the baritone I play 4 times a year so I don't even know (don't judge hehe)

I'd say try it for yourself if you are interested. There's a lot of contradicting opinions on the subject and I think to each their own. It worked for me.

Thanks again,

Boyan

17. LGOberean

Hmmm...interesting. I've never heard anyone talk about their played in guitars going back to sleep before.

I have a dreadnaught (my beloved Japanese 30 year old vintage Hohner G-940) that stays sweet. Not ToneRite treated, just played a bunch over the decades. (For 17 years, she was my only guitar, and was played daily.) I haven't noticed a reversal of played-in effects. But then again, she still gets a lot of play at home.

Oh, and BTW, while I'm posting here, I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas! :D

18. boyan11

boyan11 TDPRI Member

You are right! Mine are new guitars and I have many and even though I gig daily, not all of them get the attention they deserve. I won't ToneRite my acoustic workhorse because even if it's only 4 years old it already has mileage on it and it doesn't need to be played in.

If you don't play a guitar it will go to sleep, I have no doubt about that, but other people might have different observations. It probably varies by instrument too.

19. Hogdaddee

Hogdaddee TDPRI Member

Hohner 12 string acoustic made in Japan, stamped G12B; 6 digit neck serial # has "N" stamped above it; separate 5 digit body serial #.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any info on this model would be appreciated!

20. zen-box

zen-box Tele-Meister

still not taken any pictures of my ferari, sorry .....

It's to my eternal shame.

However, here's a couple of pictures of what I've been doing rather than going to my workshop and actually working ..

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

It's an 87xxxxxx Hohner professional(ish),
    I got it painted and thrown rather badly back together with crap action and dodgy wiring. The colour flips from a dark rootbeer 'flake, through purple, an' blues, depending on the lighting .. It came with an emg select in the neck, and a lovely dimarzio in the bridge (which is destined for the encore lp junior i'm currently working on).

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I cleaned it up, fixed it up with a home brewed pick guard made from 3mm acrylic and engineered on with double-sided sticky tape .. TOG sparkly high output humbuckers, wired it with a reverse engineered epiphone pro wiring harness to give two volumes with push/pull pots for series/parallel, a single tone, and an all black 3-way, the tuners are now wilkinsons.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Am massively happy with it now, it scratched an itch you could say .. and i'm loving the fat single-coil'esque tones it produces in parallel. Was originally goint to just coil-tap it, but hey, you know how it is when you get to the seymour duncan wiring micro site, and find all those different choices ??

:D

Anyhoo, just thought i'd show you all, I really will pull the other 'un out of it's case and snap off a few pics. Sorry !

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Have also just finished my hohner-necked partscaster. Will only bore you with the details if requested ..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.