Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

The quest continues for the HJ4!

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

They came out so okay! Beautiful guitars! :D Really! Both of them, but the HJ5 really appeals to me. The first guitar I started on was a Harmony Archtone H1213, so I'm sentimental about the look of a guitar with an arched top, f-holes in sunburst finish.

You know, that seems to be something a lot of us Hohner collectors say. Finding the precise model Hohner you're looking for is something of a rare occurrence. Good luck to you in your quest, Todd.

3. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

Quite nice. Love the hollow bodies.

4. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

Thanks.

When i got the HJ3 i thought wow this is really a very nice guitar. Then I ran across the HJ5 and got it and realized that these guitars, although not reguarded as top of the line by many, were above where my playing ability would realistically reach. That because of my lack of consistent practice time, and quite possibly the level of personal talent that some people seem to have more of than I do. But for me these are just incredible instruments. Just love em! The other guitar I have that is pretty cool is a Fender cutaway dobro style guitar that I found hanging in a pawn shop, plastic still on the telecaster pickup, for only $50. Looked to be brand new. I was looking for the HJ4 at the time and almost didn't notice it. Picked it up and was literally in shock of the price, thought it was a mistake, asked the clerk, he said $50, I said sold. Still can't believe that one and its right here next to the Hohners. My wife was laughing at me as we walked out to the car with it. She said you should see the look of disbelief on your face. Don't think I'll see a deal like that ever again. But the HJ4 is still my #1 search at this time.

5. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

Aloha fellow Hohner-ites
    Its been almost 2 months since I brought home the 360-M.
    I have to tell you, my opinion on it....
    has not changed one stinking bit.
    One of the nicest acoustics Ive ever played.
    While browsing for a potential second one I stumbled upon a previously ended auction on eBay for a HG360-R - rosewood back and sides. Same neck same markers same tuners... auction ended at 699!!!

heres the link w pics:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-Hohner-HG-360R-1970s-SOLID-WOOD-Must-See-ONE-DAY-ONLY-/151073477993?pt=Guitar&hash=item232cae5569&nma=true&si=MOCWNGWvzVjhRtau1BBVl%252F5SLww%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

someone scored a great guitar for 699 in m opinion... wish it was here.

There's a good possibility that I will be playing in public in the next few months, and I have been thinking about options for playing out. I have a couple of acoustic/electrics (epiphone ej200 & an ovation ae 147), but they both kinda suck when compared to the HG360M hahahaha.
    So I purchased a LR Baggs M1A soundhole pickup!
    I know that the $175 for the pickup (and shipping to HI) is more than half of what I paid for the guitar it's going in, but I felt like I paid half price for the guitar and could justify the "overindulging" hahahaha. I mean, c'mon... the Dave Gilmour video clip (lr baggs site) sold me hahaha. But seriously, because tone matters. I'll post an update with some pics when the pickup gets here.

Aloha

6. LGOberean

Cool, slacker! :cool: An old Japanese vintage Hohner acoustic equipped with an M1!

Both of my Hohners are acoustic, not acoustic/electric. I've been thinking for some time that I'd like to equip one (if not both) with a pickup system of some kind, and the L. R. Baggs M1 has been one consideration. So you got the M1A, the active version? Are you going into a DI box? If so, which one? I sure would like to read your review of this Hohner/Baggs combination. Better yet, I'd like to hear a clip or a vid of this setup.

Oh, and it makes perfect sense to me that a good old Hohner merits an M1. To me, it's about tones, not bones.

7. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

Aloha Larry!

TONES NOT BONES is right on!!!!

The M1A, the active version is the one I got. I had intended initially to just get the standard/original M1 (passive... AND doesn't need to be permanently installed - you can easily remove it from one guitar and remount it on another if yhou weren't already aware), but then realized that I would need to boost the signal with some sort of pre-amp or something else before it reaches the venue's gear. The preamp handles that, and gives me a little control over my sound ("Hi Volume knob!). To be honest I probably should go into a DI box too to have ultimate tonal control... just not at this time.
    Being the tone nut that I am I will probably start checking out different DI boxes locally once the 360-M's been outfitted. We'll see what works and what shines. (but I know it won't be the player hahahaha)

Once everything is installed and restrung I'd be happy to throw up a sound/video clip.

8. zen-box

zen-box Tele-Meister

Hohner ST Ferari left handed

Hi,

I bought this new in 1987, new from my local Hohner dealer in surbiton, surrey, uk and still own it. The only thing i've changed are the knobs, but the OG ones are hidden in it's case !! Sadly, It's lived a life, and has a few dings and scratches, but still plays properly. I had it set up by a buddy who works as a tech. about a decade ago, and it's not needed any adjustment ever since.

I've always loved it, it has a unique tone, with two tappable humbuckers and a floating trem .. I'll post a couple of pictures if anyone's interested ?

:D

9. LGOberean

Well, I'm a southpaw too, but play right-handed. Still, I'll bite if no one else will. Let's see those Ferrari pics! :D

10. jbrewery

jbrewery TDPRI Member

Just picked up an HG 940 and was looking for some history on it. Dated May,1981. In a previous thread, someone said that the "G" models were started in 1980 and the HG were earlier. Mine says 1981 but is an HG. What 's going on? Whats the difference? Were these made in Japan or Korea? How much did it cost new back in the day? What's it worth now? Sorry for so many questions but I like knowing the history of my guitars.
    JB

11. LGOberean

You scored an HG 940! I'm trying to make myself congratulate you, but first I just have to confess that I'm officially jealous! :D Okay...now...congratulations! ;)

I have some information to share, but I'm on my way out the door to lunch with my wife and friends, and then to an afternoon gig and then an evening commitment as well. I hope to post again before this evening, but if not, I'll get on here late tonight and pass on what I know (shouldn't take long :oops:).

12. LGOberean

I thought I'd post info on the Arbor Series of Hohner acoustics. Then I'll get more specific, and talk about the HG-940 (or G-940).

I have a copy of a two page print ad from 1980. Here's a pic...

[​IMG]

On the first page of the spread, along with pics of guitars, is the heading...

Then the heading on the second page reads

Then here is the ad copy...

13. LGOberean

JB, can you tell us just how your HG-940 is dated "May, 1981"? My G-940 has no definitive dating that I can find. I bought it new in the spring of 1983. Of course, I don't know how long the store had it before I bought it.

Or better yet, can you show us how your HG-940 is dated? In other words, how about posting some pics of your new acquisition, including some shots of inside the soundhole?

14. roffe

roffe Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Here's my G3T, I've installed GFS pickups which was a nice upgrade from the EMG Selects.

15. jbrewery

jbrewery TDPRI Member

Thanks for the info Larry. I will send pics of HG 940 tonight if I can figure out how. I've never posted or chatted online before. My kids might have to help me. Sucks getting old.
    BTW -I think the date is stamped on the neck block.
    jb

16. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

I am looking forward to seeing this 940.

17. LGOberean

I don't find anything stamped on the neck block of my G-940. Here are a couple of new pics I've just uploaded to my TDPRI Telephoto account.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm lousy at taking pictures, sorry. :oops:

In the first pic I managed to cut off the stamp on the center strip that says "Hand Crafted Hohner International." I just got the model # and "Made in Japan."

The second pic is obviously a pic of one of the cross braces with some kind of number stamped on it. The stamp is upside down from the perspective of looking at it through the soundhole, and the D string kind of gets in the way, but the stamped # reads "S13."

And that's it. Well, on the backside of the headstock there is a little foil stamp that reads "Made in Japan," and underneath that stamped on the wood in ink is "Hohner." But there is no other visible information on mine, as far as a serial number or a date is concerned.

How does this compare to yours, JB? Or David, for that matter?

18. magicmarc

magicmarc NEW MEMBER!

Hohner HJ-4

Hi Todd,
    My name is Marc and I am new to this site and your interest in the HJ-4 caught my eye.I have a beautiful HJ-4 I'm selling if u r interested.It comes with a new Guardian hard shell case.It is in excellent like new condition.I could see how you thought they came in black,as mine is very dark but as far as I know the blue tint was the only color issued in the HJ-4.I could follow up with pics if u like.Thanks--M

19. jbrewery

jbrewery TDPRI Member

Here are my pics...hopefully. There was a new top put on in 2004 ( there is a sticker inside with the Luthier's name.. No markings "Made in......".

Attached Files:

20. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

Thanks Marc looking forward to seeing HJ4.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.