Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. bash

bash TDPRI Member

Love the headstock!

2. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

yeah the headstock, while a rather 'simple' design, is some eye candy.

if i can find another one of these guitars, i am so buying it....

3. osxandy

osxandy TDPRI Member

Hello fellow owners, here's mine, an 80's Tele, a 90's Tele and a 87 Strat all Hohner Profesionals, all play lovely and look great [I think] cheers...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

As much as I have tried, I just never could warm up to the shape of a Tele. Not a knock on yours by any means, it is just me. That strat is amazing on the other hand.

5. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

I have a Hohner model SG860R.It is made in Japan,and was given to me at least 30 years
    ago. Does anyone have an idea of its' current value?

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm going to chime in here, with the basic assumption that you are referring to a Hohner guitar model known as the Hohner SG Lion.

I tried searching for a "Hohner SG860R," but nothing turned up. When I searched for "Hohner SG" and "Hohner SG Lion" I got a good bit of info. So if you are talking about a "shredder" style guitar with a pointy headstock, 3 EMG (HSS) pups, mini switches and a trem bridge, the designation on the headstock and its listing in catalogs was "Hohner SG Lion."

So that's what I'm assuming as I post this info. If it doesn't apply to you, hopefully this posted info will be of benefit to someone else.

Let's start with a couple of pics about what I'm talking about...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A document on the Internet known as the "Hohner Historical Guitar Models" lists this guitar (pg. 46 [54]). The years of manufacture were from 1988-1994. Here is the full description from that source...

Under the heading of "Former retail price," this document gave two figures: "DM1190 (1990)" and "DM1400 (1990)." So now this gets tricky, on several levels.

First, why two prices? There were differences in colors, but I don't know what other differences account for such a price discrepancy.

Second, what about that "DM" currency? Well, what the initials stand for is the easy part: "Deutsche Mark." That was the currency of Germany at the time stated, 1990. (That currency was replaced in 2002 by the euro.) But what was the DM worth in 1990, in terms of the US $? It took some digging, but I found a resource that gave the comparative worth of the DM to the dollar in 1990, and by my calculations, it was 63¢. Another source gave the worth of the DM as 68¢ at the time of the change to the euro, so I think my calculations are basically correct.

So, in 1990, 1190 DM equated to roughly $750, and 1400 DM to $882. That gives us a good idea of its worth 23 years ago, but of course oldteleguy's question is "Does anyone have an idea of its' current value?"

I have digital and hardcopy versions of Fjestad's Blue Book of Electric Guitars. Unfortunately, the SG Lion is not listed. I did find one model (ST Lynx) manufactured in the same time frame (1990-1994) whose Manufacturer's Suggested Retail price was $740, close to the $750 price tag referenced above. Fjestad's Blue Book grading for this guitar in mint (98%) condition was $475, $375 for Excellent + (95%), $350 for Excellent (90%), $275 for Very Good + (80%), $250 for Very Good (70%), and $200 for Good (60%).

A search of eBay's "Sold listings" for a Hohner SG Lion yielded 2 sales that were BOA ("Best Offer Accepted"), so we don't know exactly what those two sales went for. Of those that sold in auction or Buy It Now at a specified price, one sold for $195 and one for $650.

You can draw your own conclusions from this data. For me, I would say the eBay auction that went for $195 is about right, given the condition of the instrument (not all original parts, fret wear, etc.). The $650 sale seems high, given original price of the SG Lion, and given the Blue Book depreciation values of the comparable ST Lynx.

Of course, in the final analysis, a guitar is worth what one is willing to pay for it. Beyond tangible factors such as condition, sentiment can play a part in buying a guitar for more than its Blue Book value. Hope this helps.

7. LGOberean

Since I posted about the SG Lion, I was fortunate enough to come across a cheaply priced copy of Vintage Guitar Magazine's Price Guide 2010. The values this resource gives for guitars are for "excellent-condition, all original instruments," and they give a range of price values.

In the case of the SG Lion, the range is $200-$225, again for one that is all original and in excellent condition. Obviously, the definitions and evaluations differ between this resource and Fjestad's.

Just thought I'd add to the body of information on this Hohner model.

8. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

Hi all, I'm new to thr geoup thought I'd give an intro. My name is Todd, I'm 47 and have a guitar addiction problem. My two favorites are my Hohner HJ3 and my Hohner HJ5. Very nice instruments. I'm am currently looking for the HJ4 in Translucent Blue. Has anyone seen one of these? I've seen two for sale that are black. Did Hohner ever actually get the HJ4 in trans blue released? Not alot of info out there on this model run. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Todd.

/

9. Kochens

Kochens TDPRI Member

Those Hohner Tele`s are Awesome. I asume they are The Prinze?

10. LGOberean

Todd, it appears that Hohner did release the HJ4 Trans Blue model. From what I've found (at liveauctioneers, guitar-museum, eBay, etc.), some have been up for auction and/or sold, so they do exist. Here's a pic or two...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As you said, there isn't a lot of info out there for this model. I've often said that I want this thread to be a repository of information, so here are the specs I've found on the guitar. It has: a semi-hollow mahogany body, single cutaway, with a mahogany arched top, and of course the transparent blue finish; set mahogany neck, 24.75" scale; gold hardware; rosewood fretboard, 22 jumbo frets, pearloid block position inlays; cream-colored ivoroid binding on headstock, neck, body and f-holes; gold covered Tesla VR-60 humbucking pickups, 2 volume, 2 tone control knobs; and a tune-o-matic style bridge.

As for finding one for sale, I'm not sure. Here is a link to one possible source.

http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/F...LOW-BODY-JAZZ-GUITAR-BLUE/117978-1850165.html

I say "possible source" because the information is conflicting and/or confusing, specifically the statement "The item is out of sale. or please contact the supplier!" :confused: Tradetang.com is an "Online China Wholesale Marketplace," so English is definitely not the mother tongue of whoever wrote that ad copy. If it's still available, the price range in USD is $393.30 ~ $411.92. Other auction prices I found were $285 and $330 w/ HSC.

Hope this helps.

11. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

Hi larry, thanks for the info. I just got ahold of a Hohner Fretted Instruments catalog from 2007 and was going through it.It has the HJ5 on the cover. I think the thing that gives me the most questions is that all the pics and descriptions of the HJ4 I've found show and describe it in the translucent blue, also in this catalog. I don't see mention of the guitar in black. Having said that, the only two I've found for sale have been black. One was covered in stickers, and people bid it up a bit. So maybe the black is prior to 2007? The search continues. I'll try to post some pics of my HJ3 and HJ5 this next week. Work schedule is rather crazy at the moment. Later. Todd.

12. LGOberean

I saw that one covered with stickers. Personally, I'd never do such a thing; it didn't appeal to me. But hey, whatever. Differences in aesthetics is all we're talking about, and it don't make me no nevermind if someone wants to use a guitar body to showcase bumperstickers.

Along that line, the color doesn't mean a lot to me, partly because I sometimes have trouble distinguishing darker shades of blue.

We'll look forward to those pics, Todd.

13. BigSwittersfan

BigSwittersfan TDPRI Member

14. LGOberean

Let's post some pictures, borrowed from the auction page. They'll hold us until you post your own in this thread, which I hope you will do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's interesting that the seller referred to it as a "Hohner ThinLine Tele" when it appears to be a solid body with no f-hole cutout on the lower bout. Looks to me like a Hohner copy of a Telecaster Custom in Butterscotch Blonde.

15. BigSwittersfan

I put 'em in the gallery here, tagged 'Hohner'.

16. LGOberean

So after a week I'm assuming (correctly, I hope) that you now have this Hohner in your possession. Any comments about it? Is it a solidbody or Thinline? Care to give a review?

17. BigSwittersfan

Don't have it yet. FedEx was here Friday and I was home but didn't hear him and the shipper marked it 'signature required (the turkey never knocked on the door - just left a hang tag) so I'll get it Monday.

It's obviously not a "Thinline" which the seller listed it as. Knew when I bid it was a Tele Deluxe copy. Folks get their descriptions wrong all the time.

In the meantime did a fair amount of research and came up with very little. Found a site where a guy did a great job matching up which Japanese factories made which 'name brand' guitars back in the 70's and 80's, but out of the dozens and dozens he showed, Hohner wasn't one of them!

18. LGOberean

You're right about people getting their descriptions wrong. I see that all the time on eBay, but it seems especially prevalent on CL. Oh, well...

Today's the day, huh? I know you must be excited. Shoot, I'm excited for ya! :D ;)

19. BigSwittersfan

Grrrr....there is a BIG indentation next to the input jack the size of a fifty cent piece. It was obviously dropped hard at some point. I'm really not picky about dings and whatnot on a 30+ year old guitar but this cracked all the finish off ...and it's still flaking off around the dent.

There was no photo of the damage in the listing and no mention of it in the description.

I've asked for my money back. Maybe with some fairly serious bucks off the purchase price I'll keep it. We'll see.

NOT HAPPY!!!

20. Bluesfan7

Bluesfan7 TDPRI Member

Here's pics of my HJ3 & HJ5

Hope these came out ok.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.