Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Belhade

Belhade Tele-Meister

Hello! I've got a HAG-250, it's, uh, for my, ah, son...yeah that's it :)

Actually I've been having problems with it of late, the D string buzzes horribly, open and all the way up the neck. I don't know if it's a weather/condition issue, but I feel like the 0 fret is too low. I would like to try and fix that but it's a $40 kid's guitar after all.

2. bridgepinSr.

bridgepinSr. Former Member

I would start with making sure that the guitar is properly humidified 40 to 50% and go from there.

3. Pawnshopper

Pawnshopper Tele-Meister

This weekend I found a Hohner HG-430LP-S. It had some horrendous hombrew wiring at the output jack, and the 3-way switch was shorting out. I think I got that sorted, and it sounds pretty good now.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bash

bash TDPRI Member

Howdy,

Love my four Hohner guitars. Glad to see a few other folks recognize quality without the hype. He who dies with the most HGs wins! Bridgepin definitely has most of us lapped.

Edit: Also have a HG-612 that outwardly resembles a 900 Series instrument but is actually inferior so I don't generally count that one.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  5. Kochens

Kochens TDPRI Member

I am a lover for Hohner el. guitars. A L59 Goldtop set neck, with original Kent Amstrong humbuckers. And a L75 bolt on neck with 36 PAF Dimarzio humbuckers. The last one is a Revelation RTS strat type, with ATX Enwistle- white single coil pickups. The humbucker in bridge-position are a GFS Lil Killer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

bash, you're new here so I'll let you in on a little secret that those of us who have been on TDPRI for any length of time have learned...

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! ;) :p

7. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

There is no use to try and catch him either. I have put serious time into researching and finding some of the same in his stable. I am convinced at this point that they only made 1 HG-950 and he owns it!!! I kid of course.

8. LGOberean

I agree, there's no use in trying to even catch up to David (bridgepinSr). He has a top notch collection that he's put together over years of dedicated searching. Personally I'd be happy just to get another 940, or maybe even an HG-950.

I am happy with the two Hohners I do own. But I will pull the trigger on another Japanese vintage Arbor series if I find one.

9. bash

bash TDPRI Member

I think you may be right on the 950, Orvillian! There are mysteries surrounding the 900 Series. One that few know is that there is a little-known member of the 900 family (and it isn't a dread) :0

As for photos, Larry, I've got a 905 out on loan but I'll call it back in for a small family portrait. I believe two of mine once belonged to someone who posted here several years ago. Can't recall the details. Stay tuned...

10. LGOberean

Looking forward to that family portrait. ;)

And it'll be interesting to hear as much story as can be traced down. That would really be something if a guitar's history can be traced to have been in the hands of more than one TDPRIer! :D

11. bridgepinSr.

Thank you for the kind words gentleman. It has been a long journey, but a very rewarding one at that. The HG-950 still seems to be the needle in the hay stack when it comes to these guitars. I only know of two, the proto-type that was given to Peter Lang by Hohner for the promotion of these guitars and the one that I own. This is after 33 years of trying to find these guys. Please don't think that the HG-940 or G-940 is much easier to find. I only know of four. Larry yours being one, two are of people who have posted that they own one and are looking for any information on them ( no pics though ) and the one I have. I do have a bit of great news, I just bought a HG-340 which has the Maple body with the tortoise shell binding. I will post pics and info later, the wife is in my ear saying lets go it's time for lunch.

12. bridgepinSr.

13. bridgepinSr.

Hi Everyone
    Here are some photos of the HG-340 I picked up the other day. I did some work on it, cleaned her up put a new bone saddle in and a set up, I am very pleased with the out come. I was always tempted to buy a Taylor 600 series guitar, well..... not anymore. :D

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. bridgepinSr.

It has become quite evident to me the time has come for me to pull up anchor and set sail.

15. bash

bash TDPRI Member

Sorry, Bridgepin, didn't get a chance to respond earlier to your newest acquisition but it's a beauty. I had a pre-Ibanez Pennco back in the day that was a gorgeous flame maple 12-string that I wish I never got rid of.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  16. bash

bash TDPRI Member

"You Hohner, you brought her..."

[​IMG]

The family: G612, HG905, G911, HG910, HG940

Last edited: May 30, 2013
    lavrgs likes this.
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

a mate bought around a combo amp.. a Hohner Marlin 30wSS with spring reverb.... 12" speaker..

other than one scratchy V pot.... it didn't sound too bad for what it was....:)

any idea how old it is?...

18. bash

bash TDPRI Member

Hmm, I thought for sure that OM would blow a few minds. :D

19. jimtone

jimtone TDPRI Member

The first Limited Edition Hohner HG I ever saw was in 1976 when friend got an HG-320 newish from someone locally, and I was so taken by the feel and sound of that guitar! It was Hohners first attempt to enter the acoustic guitar market in the mid 70s, and they were hand made by top craftsmen in Japan with choice materials. All solid spruce tops and solid rosewood sides and backs. I never saw an HG-310 LE until about 2003 when a luthier friend showed it to me while he was doing a neck reset, and it did also have Solid spruce top and Solid rosewood sides and back. The LE models from mid 70s were marketed as being all solid choice woods, and I've seen the neck pocket with the neck removed to verify that the Limited Edition HG-310 is a solid wood sides and top, and I'm not believeing that backs could be laminated since the sides weren't. I now own both the LE HG-320 and LE HG-310 guitars.

lavrgs likes this.
  20. slacker

slacker TDPRI Member

something different...

Aloha from Maui
    Its a tough life but we'll get to that later haha....

I was browsing local c-list ads last week and noticed an interesting ad for a Hohner acoustic that had been owned for 35 years...

I've been wanting an old, no electronics, cured (the laquer & wood) cutaway acoustic guitar for a good long time. But usually, they are pretty pricey. The ad wanted only $350... I figured 'what the hell might as well at least go strum it and if it sucks, it IS a Hohner - not a Gibson or Martin! And you never know anyways...'

I hadn't done any research on the guitar model prior to checking it out. I wanted to judge it on a completely clean slate. I noticed immediately upon being handed the guitar its' bright tiger striped/flamed back and sides. And the back binding wasnt a simple piece either... it was very ornate.
    Cool shaped soundhole... if that even means anything haha. It passed the visual very quickly. It was very evident it was not a cheaply built guitar.

So I tuned it, gave it a lite strum, settled into the stool and ripped into it. "This thing is a Hohner? WTF". Perfect neck. Perfect cutway (selmer style). The sound.... Everything was hitting for me. Except for the 'name' thing... Hohner.

So I offered dude $300 and walked out totally happy. I scored.... I bought it for the sound and feel not the name on the headstock but when i close my eyes I swear its a $1000 guitar hahahaha. I got just what I wanted - to be happy beyond expectation. I've never seen another one like it. Uniqueness is alright, too.

I get home and THEN I start researching the guitar. Apparently Bucky Barrett did an ad for the line of Hohner acoustics, and he's photo'd holding/playing the same model I have. A little more digging brought me to this thread chock full of great Hohner info and pics. More scores!!!

Here's whats in the soundhole:
    The 'M' in 360M must stand for maple considering the back and sides.
    I am assuming the serial number is the '3701003' stamp, and the date is the '6 77' stamp.

The top seems to be a solid piece of spruce. Would be surprised if it wasnt...
    The fretboard has some cool fret markers you can't miss. And it's rosewood. or ebony. I don't know for sure...
    The neck... I'm not so sure what it is, either. It could be rosewood but maybe its mahogany? Tt feels great whatever it is! I'll have to take a close up of the neck....

I've sent an inquiry to Hohner but I'm not holding my breath for much data beyond "oh yeah, thats old. Enjoy".

Here's a few pictures to give you all a visual.
    Since reading is only so fun, right hahahaha

I still can't believe how badass this guitar is.... it plays itself.
    I can't wait to record with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.