Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. roadsailor

roadsailor NEW MEMBER!

HG-720

Just picked up a HG-720. Know nothing of its value but a great looking guitar. Mother of pearl inlay on fretboard. Neck was cracked at head but got that repaired no problem. Not sure of the type of wood used on fretboard. Found it in a dumpster with strings still attached. My greatest dumpster dive ever. Still not quite sure how to use this forum. The guitar looks identical to the one for sale on ebay. Guess fretboard is rosewood. Like that one, this fret board shows little wear. not an experienced guitar player but had it repaired and restrung. Friend says it sounds just great and very easy to play. Would be interested in hearing from anyone that is familiar with this guitar. Got a couple pics. in my phone. will post later

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  2. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

Dang. Why can't I find good trash like that?? Looking forward to pics of this awesome find. There is a 710 over on the used section of guitar center that is listed for $349.00, so sounds like you have a nice find, especially for dumpster diving.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'll see Orvillian's "Dang" and raise ya a "Dagnabbit!" I guess Tennessee is the place to be for dumpster diving for instruments! :p :D

Finding information about Hohner instruments is a difficult process. The company is not very helpful, the serial #s don't help much either, and there isn't a lot out there about them.

One resource says the HG-720 was made from 1978-1985, but that's about all that says. At The Pawnshop Inc., I found one listed. Listed below are the pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The description says the Hohner HG-720 has a solid spruce top with mahogany back and sides. I'm not so sure about that last part. The pic of the back doesn't look like mahogany to me, but maybe I'm wrong. The description also says "Hand made in Japan," the label says "Made in Japan." Rosewood fretboard.

Looking forward to your pics.

Oh, and welcome to TDPRI and to this owners' thread. :D

4. bridgepinSr.

bridgepinSr. Former Member

Wow, a dumpster dive! what a great score, I used to work with a guy that had that same model guitar, I do remember it sounding very good too. And no Larry your not wrong that is Rosewood all the way, it will have a Mahogany neck on it though with a Rosewood fingerboard.

5. roadsailor

roadsailor NEW MEMBER!

OK, here are some quick pics. of the HG-720 dumpster discovery. Haven't done much to clean it up yet, but she plays.

Attached Files:

6. Jennablurr

Jennablurr Former Member

You seem to be the man with whom the knowledge rests if I wanna know about my hohner. I have scowered the net, I got a Hohner HG07 my grandma gave me and it has the worst possible oversized hard shell case for it and i cant even find any info that agrees what the measurements are so i can get a proper hard shell case. I'm a beginner guitar player so a lot of the lingo is goin over my head. Some pages say its full size folk acoustic some say 3/4. I dont wanna get the wrong thing after having it restrung only to have this oversized case bang it around and get it out of tune before i learn how to even tune.PLEAZ help a newbie out, info is hard to find and contrary...very frustrating. Thanks for any time and help

7. bridgepinSr.

Hi Jenna
    The info I have on a HG-07 is the body style is a concert size, follow the link and see if this is the shape of your guitar

http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/3559426464.html

8. LGOberean

I've talked about pickups for acoustics before, but I don't remember if I have in this thread, and I'm too lazy to search back through to see. :oops:

What have you done in amplifying the sound of your beloved Hohners? That presupposes that you have played out with them at some point, but if so, how do you amplify the sound of your guitar?

Do you just stage mic it and stand stock still while playing, and fight the feedback?
    Or do you use some soundhole pickup?
    Some configuration under the bridge (e.g., K&K Pure Mini)?
    Undersaddle piezo?
    Internal mic?
    A combination thereof?

If any one of options 2-6, did you route out the endpin to receive a 1/4" input jack?

9. bridgepinSr.

Hi Larry, This is what I use when I need to plug in.

Fender Lace Sensor

[​IMG]

10. LGOberean

I've heard of Lace Sensor pickups, but I thought they were for electric guitars (Teles & Strats). I didn't know they had pickups for acoustics.

David, that's an interesting looking design/shape. How does it fit in the soundhole? From the pic I can't quite tell about the jack input. Is it 1/4" or 1/8"? Female end? Do you run the cable inside the body to the endpin, or out across the front of the guitar?

11. bridgepinSr.

It slips right into the sound hole via two slots that have rubber and felt which mounts to the top.

If you look at the lower right, there are two screws. The lower one is a tension screw.

It is a 1/4" jack and the wire is on the outside. There is a loop in the wire that you can hang on the end pin of the guitar. What I like about it the most is there is no alteration to the guitar at all and it sounds good too.

Larry, I haven't used in a bit so if you would like to demo it let me know and I will sent it to you to check out.

12. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

I got nothing on this one as I do everything in the studio with mics.. Watching with interest though.

13. LGOberean

David, that is a generous offer to demo your soundhole pickup. Thanks! :D I might just take you up on that. I'll see more when things slow down a bit.

I play four senior/retirement/nursing home gigs this week, the first of which is in just a few hours.

14. LGOberean

David, I can't tell how long the cable is from the pic you posted. It looks short, but maybe that's an illusion, seeing how it's wrapped up and all. How long is it? 3 feet? less?

15. bridgepinSr.

Larry, it's 32.1/2 inches long, that was a photo I used off the internet, here are some shots I just took quick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nice thing is it take two seconds to install

Oh and I installed it in the HG-940 :D

16. starmies4

starmies4 NEW MEMBER!

Hi, I am interested in buying a Hohner guitar. But it has to be a Japanese guitar. I am quite comfortable with the not so welknown Japanese guitars, like Cimar, Starfield, Vantage, Fernandes, etc. I do like this guitars, mostly well made if not better than there USA examples (one of the few not-Japanese guitars I have is a PRS, but that's a class on his own). But I cannot get the hang about Hohner guitars.
    Can some tell me globally which models are Japanese made - elecric and acoustic guitars - and how to distingquise them from there Chinese and Korean brothers?

I think that even many Arbor series guitars are not Japanese made. And when I read Hohner International I am personally quite sure that it is not Japanese made, because Japanese guitars are condidered of high standard and there is mostly always some indication that the guitar is Japanese crafted. International sounds very Chinese to me.

17. starmies4

starmies4 NEW MEMBER!

PS, I know that a sticker inside the soundhole of an acoustic will/can indicate the country of origin (like with the guitars above on this page), but with electrics I am complete lost in determine the country of origin.
    And also it would be handy to know the name of the Japanese acoustic series as well, in searching them.
    There are some for sale here in Holland but hey..... I am a Hohner newbie and I only want Japanese guitars (even if the Chinese one is better, since Japan is my theme)

18. bridgepinSr.

The best advice I can offer is to just check and look for made in Japan, which you already know, I wish I could give you more but Hohner HHS has not been very good on keeping tabs on stuff like that

19. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

Do you have to have a Hohner or is the Japanese component the most important part of your quest?

20. bridgepinSr.

Boy, has there ever been a lot of the Hohner HG-310 limited's coming up on E-bay. Oh and some crazy prices too.

I myself would go for the HG-320 over the 310.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.