1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

It looks very similar to your 370 except the 370 has gold tuners and has the abalone all around the finger board near the sound hole. Also has the "H" prefix on the serial number and the HOHNER on the headstock all the way to the E tuners. Same factory?

2. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Greg,

I noticed on my 370 and your 320 that the headstock lettering is not larger but is spaced further apart between letters.

3. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

That's probably true. I didn't measure. Question is why. Is it unique to the factory, model, limited edition, manufacturing date, a whim?

4. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

As an aside, Lee, I noticed a Martin SPD-16k for a deal on reverb. Pretty tempting, I love Koa.

5. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Pictures of my Hohner DR550. All satin finish, ebony tuning keys, fretboard, and bridge. Solid cedar top and solid rosewood back and sides. Maple binding, scalloped x-bracing. The guitar depth (at the lower bout) is a little larger than my other Hohner acoustics by about 3/8 of an inch. Guitar sounds very balanced and loud. Nice sounding and playing guitar.
    DSCN2725.JPG DSCN2727.JPG DSCN2731.JPG DSCN2733.JPG DSCN2734.JPG DSCN2735.JPG DSCN2736.JPG DSCN2737.JPG DSCN2738.JPG DSCN2739.JPG

6. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

That is beautiful Greg! Do they make that in mahogany as well? Love the maple binding. How does it sound in comparison to the 950 you have?

7. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

I think there is a DR (dred, rosewood), DL (dred, lacewood) and a DK (dred, koa). The 500 has a spruce top and the 550 a cedar top. Both the DR550 and HG950 sound great. There might be some nuances here and there, the 550 has a cedar top so sounds a little different. The 940 / 950s are still probably the kings of the Hohner acoustics but I really like the DR550. I'd like to find a DK500 - love that koa.

How's the guide coming along? I'll give you another dump this weekend. I reread the last version you sent and it's starting to take shape. We just need to push through with maybe two or three versions and then get to a first edition. Once we get more meat on the bones, we can lean on other members to dig up more / specific information.

8. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

It's funny you ask about the guide. Now that I have survived the torment of stripping wall paper (wall paper is evil), washing and sealing walls and repainting walls and finished up the room, I finally got to the guide again today. I am looking for MSRP values of the 700 series. I have your pictures for the 700 and the 740 in there and I have asked Lee for 710 and 720 pictures because I couldn't find any good ones.

I liked the preface you handed over and pasted it all in and I rewrote part of the overview so it didn't duplicate your preface. Yes, I have the John Denver picture in there. :) My goal is to finish up what I can with the 700 series and then get you and Lee the latest versions. Once the 700 series is done, I am going to start filling in the 900 series. My logic is, go with the series we have the most member information first and then go the the other section.

The guide is currently 100 pages with the pictures. I will be emailing to you and Lee on Sunday or Monday depending upon where I am with it.

9. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Bill that's awesome. Later we can fix the picture sizes and excess white space but it will still be a large document packed with good information and lots of pictures. Love those pictures.

10. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

Looks great!

11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Something new to report on my plan to install a pickup system into my 905. Or at least, I think this is new, or news. I've decided to go with the K&K Sound Pure Mini system.

[​IMG]

I think I said before I was considering it, and now that's my decision. Several factors swayed me to go this route.

There is a local guy that has done guitar repair for me before. His name is Bob, and "The Guitar Surgeon" is his nickname.* About 5 years ago, I had him do fretwork on one of my dreadnoughts (not the Hohners). And at the time, I asked him about what he'd recommend for a pickup system to install. He recommended the K&K Pure Mini. Said he had done the install on guitars for several other customers.

Furthermore, the K&K Pure Mini gets great reviews. Another plus is K&K maintains a file in pdf with detailed instructions on the installation process. And also there are a dozen or more videos out there of how to do the install. So I've watched several of them, as well as review/demo videos of the K&K Pure Mini in action. All of this pretty much convinced me to go this route.

I haven't actually bought the pickup system yet. I also need to pick up a couple of tools to do the job: a telescoping inspection mirror and a step up drill bit 12mm. And there are some other purchases vying for attention as well (guns and boots at the head of the list). But as for picking up the tools and the system for this pickup install, I'll get a round TUIT.

[​IMG]

* Re: The Guitar Surgeon. His story is an interesting one, I hope I do it justice. What I'm recounting here is just from memory, but I believe I'm relating the gist of his story, even if some details might be off.

As a teenager that was into guitar, Bob went into the local guitar institution Clawson's Music, and talked Bob Clawson into letting him work sweeping up, mowing the grass, schlepping stock, whatever, just to work around guitar players and guitars, to learn. They eventually showed him how to do setups and minor repairs, and he started doing that at Clawson's.

When he left for college, he went into medicine. He was in San Antonio for a while as part of a surgical team. Upon returning to Corpus Christi, he became an Associate Professor of Biology/Anatomy & Physiology. That was/is his day job. At night, he maintained a list of private clients as "The Guitar Surgeon." The nickname as I remember him telling it, came from someone watching him doing the delicate work of "surgically" removing the binding from a guitar neck in order to do a fret job on the guitar: "You're like a guitar surgeon!"

I was/am one of Bob's private customers. As I said above, I had him do a fret job on my Breedlove dread. About 5 years ago, I had him do fretwork on one of my dreadnoughts (not the Hohners). At the time, that dread was my go-to gigging acoustic/electric. Over to course of about 8 years I'd played it/gigged it so much that the frets needed attention. He replaced the frets up to about the 7th fret or so, then crowned/leveled them all. He did a great job on it.

I have no complaints about the quality of his work, but I have found it hard to get together with him for subsequent jobs I want done on other guitars. Like I said, the guitar thing is something he enjoys, and what he earns from repairs/maintenance of guitars for others helps fund his own purchases.

But the last couple of times I tried to get together with him, things didn't work out. The college he teaches at is nearby, and I offered for him to come by my house after work to pick up the guitar I wanted work done on (one of my Logan Customs). He didn't make it. I offered to drive across town to where he lives to deliver the guitar to him. That didn't work, either. After several attempts, I quit trying to make it happen, and left the ball in his court. I've yet to hear back from him.

I'm not angry about it. I get that he's busy. A demanding day job, a passion turned to a private enterprise by night, and he's a husband and father of two teenagers that soon will be in college (his oldest may already be there by now). I've just taken this as a kick in the seat of the pants to become more of a DIY guy when it comes to setups and maintenance of my guitarsenal.

leftcoastarborist likes this.
  12. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Larry, you got this. The tricky part is getting your hands in the sound hole with the mirror / light and feeling / seeing what you are doing (upside down and turned around). Do you attach the pickups to your bridge plate or is that a new plate you have to install?

13. LGOberean

K&K's installation instructions say to affix the transducers to the bridge plate, and in the pictures I've seen, there doesn't seem to be a new plate provided.

14. LGOberean

Just checking in. I haven't been active here in a while, but then it looks like no one else has, either. :( No judgement in that statement. I get how things happen. For my part, I've had to put the K&K pickup installation idea on hold for a bit. Some other things came up, some good, some not so much.

A pick up gig was offered to me from a venue I normally play, where I have another (scheduled gig) in two weeks. So guy cancelled, and I got basically 24 hours notice. Fortunately, I was available. And it was a very profitable gig. The venue pays $150 for 3 hours, and when the evening was over, I had $69 dollars in tips. :)

Some other (non-guitar related) purchase opportunities came up, which I took advantage of. Also, we celebrated a 48th wedding anniversary by going camping. Those were the good things. The not so good came in the form of Bella, our 4 year old dog, suffering a back injury a week ago. One cortisone shot, two vet visits and three different medications later, she's starting show improvement.

Oh, we also bought her a wagon for evening walks. We used to walk 3 miles every night, but Bella is not up to that yet, so we haven't walked that long a nightly walk in a week. The last three evenings we've taken her out for a walk, and each time she's improved in stability and strength/endurance, but she's still not up to a 3 mile walk. So when she starts slowing down and getting wobbly, we put her in the wagon.

So, that's been my life since I last posted here. I probably could have bought an Arbor/900 series guitar for the amount of money we've spent on our dog in the last week. Not that I'm complaining. I'm glad we had it to do it, and that pick up gig money sure came at a good time.

Okay, looking forward, I hope to have something good to report after tomorrow. No, not another Hohner guitar purchase (I wish). But it's Hohner related. That's all I'll say for now. Stay tuned...

15. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

OK Larry, you peaked my interest. I think we've all been distracted, in a good way. The Hohner guitar scene has been a little quiet, haven't seen too much for sale. Looking for an hg-805, hg-370, hg-940, you know, the usual. I think these come up in waves, like gambling. Sometimes you're hot, then you're not.

LGOberean likes this.
  16. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Nothing new Hohner wise here. I did get a Martin 00015M. With the Hohner guide, I am making progress but I admit, I got distracted playing my new guitar instead. Instead of working on it this weekend I played all of my guitars and nerded out on the different sound of each. I haven't played that much since I was a teenager. I hope to get the latest updates to Greg and Lee sometime soon. Still trying to figure out how e get it to everyone when it is done. With the photos, it is a huge document.

Sorry to hear about Bella. I hope she appears in a new Hohner video one day.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Similar here Bill. I have fret leveling redress and pickup rewiring projects going and a "new" (early sixties) Vega archtop I'm fooling with. Made in Boston Mass. It has two P90s, a three way selector and flat wound strings. All blonde. A good player with low action. Relative to the guide, I still need to get you comments to Ver 1. I think when we are ready for Edition 1, we need to see how big the PDF is and maybe break it up into parts if it is too big. Part 1, Part 2, etc. Also, we need to go through and evaluate all the pictures to get the right balance between resolution and size. Might be able to save some megabytes here.

18. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

BTW, I just picked up some Hohner Sales Brochures and price guide for 2005. I have the Hohner 2005 Acoustics, the Hohner 2005 Electrics and the price guide. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

19. LGOberean

Okay, when I posted Sunday night, I did intend to pique interest. I didn't intend to keep y'all hangin'.

What I was referring to was an art project my wife was doing, which had to do with Hohner guitars. I'm sure I've mentioned before on TDPRI and even in this thread, I think, that Beth is very artistic. She draws, paints in different mediums, and has even done some sculpting. Her artistic talents even give her an edge on photography.

But she hasn't had much time for art lately. In addition to the things going on that I mentioned above, her midwifery business has been undergoing some changes. Beth has been a midwife for about 22 years now, and has owned and operated the Corpus Christi Birth Center for about 8 years.

She has been moving towards retirement for several years now. Her plan was/is to get staff midwives working for her, freeing her up to be the owner/operator/clinical director of the birth center but not getting called out very much for women in labor. Over the years, she's trained several midwife apprentices, and for a while the last two apprentices-turned-licensed-midwives have worked as staff midwives. This freed Beth up for us to do more camping, which I've also talked about here on TDPRI.

It also freed her up enough that she got back into painting and doing projects with her Cricut (pronounced like cricket) machine. Anyway, she has a painting in the works and a Cricut project that involve my guitars. The former is a painting of me playing one of my Logan Custom teles.

The latter involves my Hohner G-940. That's what I was hoping to announce. However, those two staff midwives didn't stick around. One moved back home to Oklahoma. The other wants to continue her schooling. So lately Beth has been more involved in prenatal visits and delivering babies, and has barely had time for her art.

The "Hohner" project didn't get done this weekend or yesterday, so it's still in the works. But she's back to work this morning at the office, doing prenatal visits. The way her work week usually goes, she will probably not get back to her projects until this weekend. So, fairly soon I will hopefully be sharing a pic of her artwork showcasing my Hohner, but it may take a while.

In the meantime, here's some art involving my Hohner G-940 done by another member of the family. Our oldest daughter is also artistic, and paints as well. And her oldest daughter is also very artistic. My granddaughter Elizebeth for much of her life (she's about to turn 23) has had a sketch pad with her everywhere she goes.

During the Thanksgiving holidays in 2013 they were down visiting, and in the evening, long after the turkey dinner was over, we were all sitting around in the living room visiting. After a bit, I turned to my "art." I picked up my old Hohner and just started noodling while family was visiting. And Elizebeth, about 16 at the time, turned to her art. She opened her sketch pad and, unbeknownst to me at first, she began sketching me.

Of course, from a guitarist/Hohner enthusiast perspective, it's not perfect. She turned my Hohner 940 into a fretless, slope-shouldered dread. Still, it's quite good, I think, and special to me because it was drawn by my granddaughter. It even has me in that old rocking chair, which Beth and I bought new in 1974 when she was pregnant with out firstborn, Elizebeth's mom. For years, this pic of her sketch was my avatar pic here on TDPRI.

upload_2021-5-4_9-11-32.png

envirodat likes this.
  20. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

That's very interesting Larry, and good timing. As part of the Unofficial Hohner Guide, we need a Cover page. I was thinking of a collage of pictures / art related to the Hohner guitars, with the title and Edition number somewhere. I've been trying to light a fire under certain members to put something together but nobody, including me, has been able to get to the plate and take a swing. Maybe you can get your wife interested in something like this as part of her 940 guitar art (and maybe your granddaughter's art, Envirodat Bill also has a ton of pictures, brochures, etc.). You could show her our latest draft of the document and see what she thinks. We need somebody with a little artistic flair, I feel, to put something together. No pressure though, just a thought.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.