Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

I have downloaded the manual for the DTAR. The hole is enlarged. It seems to be a nice pickup.

2. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Greg,

I am not the one to ask how you get 18v out of two AA batteries. I can’t follow the wiring diagram of a flashlight.

I agree that for volume and tone the 905 is very consistent. There are some differences in build though. I have had four, and somehow still have three. Two (including Larry’s) have a different shaped volute, hexagon shaped tuners and bound neck. One has unbound neck.

How is the HG-310 working out for you?

3. leftcoastarborist

Bill,

That pickup is a bit more intrusive than the other end pin installations because of the large battery lock and volume control on edge of sound hole. The advantage for someone doing gigs is probably that preamp. It does not seem uncomfortable to me, and looks better to me than the ones that cross the sound hole.

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, Lee! That 905 looks great! And your offer to trade straight across is most generous. And tempting, if only to have the chance to play another Hohner from the 900 series.

I noticed the differences you mentioned (the volute and shape of the gear box enclosure of the tuners) between this one you have for sale and the 905 I previously got from you. It makes me wonder, what is the neck like? My 905 has a soft-V feel to it. My 940 neck profile is more rounded, like a chunky C.

I took note of your comment that it is louder than any others in the 900 series. I have only my G-940 and the HG-905 to compare, but the 905 is louder, and that's saying something, 'cuz I've never thought of my 940 as quiet. As for the D-Tar pickup system, I've heard of it, but I don't know that I've ever heard it. I'm also considering a K&K Sound Pure Mini system, but I haven't heard that one live and in person, either. Of course I've watched videos, and that helps to some degree.

As for the end pin hole being drilled out to a larger diameter to fit the jack receiving a 1/4" plug, I don't know that I will make that a deal breaker. There is at least one option called the Vintage Jack, which is essentially the same size as the end pin (which would require an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter).

The thought of being able to leave a 905 in bone stock/original condition is kind of appealing, but I have no plans to sell my Hohners, so it doesn't really matter. I guess my wife and/or kids will deal with all my guitars after I'm gone. So slightly enlarging the end pin hole to receive an end pin jack isn't a big deal.

5. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

LGOberean likes this.
  6. leftcoastarborist

Larry,

The neck on the 905 with the D-TAR is more like all my other 900 series so probably like your 940.
    Your 905 and the one I have that is like it are the only two I have seen with that neck carving. Probably more out there but I have not yet seen them.

LGOberean likes this.
  7. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

The 310 looks and sounds great. I need to post some pictures of it and the 320. I've been a little busy working on some other guitars. The dr550, after cleaning it up, I noticed the bridge plate was chewed up. Not sure how that happened - some people don't know how to properly install strings. Also, the bridge pin holes had goop in them which I'll need to ream out. Somebody was trying a quick (and ineffective) fix. I've got a plate mate on order that I'll install to fix it. These work good, even on very damaged bridge plates. Beats trying to replace the bridge plate. I'll post some pictures of that when I get it done.

8. leftcoastarborist

Greg,

David (bridgepin, muddyshoes) said he had several 900 series Hohner with chewed up bridge plates. He made the same repair as you are doing and was happy with it.

9. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Yes, I first noticed it on the 930. Whoever had the guitar before you really messed up the bridge plate. When I first put new strings on it, it kept spitting out the bridge pins when I was tuning it up. Didn't think anything about it. Later, I was looking inside at the bracing and noticed some of the string balls were actually pulled up inside the bridge. Not good. I put on a plate mate (actually had to glue it since the bridge plate was so chewed) and now it works like a charm. I'll take some pictures. After I noticed a similar thing on the dr550, I looked at all my other Hohners - the bridge plates were good on those. A lot of people put the plate mate on all their guitars, new and old, to protect the bridge plate. I notice no change in the sound of the guitars with the plate mate. Some "expert" guitar geeks on-line think it makes their guitar sound brassy. Whatever. Anyway, I think it is a good product and easy to install. And much cheaper / less work than replacing the bridge plate.

10. leftcoastarborist

Greg,
    That is good information. I have looked at some of mine but not all. Probably should look closely at all. Do they give a quantity discount?

Could you post the source for the Plate Mate?

Thanks

11. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

I just get them at StewMac (the evil empire as some guitar repair guys claim, ha!) and they are $25. StewMac is usually pricey. The 2 3/16 " fit my Hohners. You can get them directly from Mitchell (the inventor) for $20. I think he does have quantity discounts.

12. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Also, google Randy Schartiger Plate Mate. He's kind of a crazy guy but I think he's got some good ideas. He'll show you how to measure for the right size and how to install. The plate mate comes with an adhesive on the one side but it wasn't strong enough to hold on the 930, hence the glue.

13. LGOberean

Greg, I didn't know you had a DR550. I used to have one. I bought it online in September of 2011, gave it to my son just after Christmas, 2015, when he and his family were visiting. He didn't have an acoustic at the time, and his oldest daughter (15 at the time) was interested in playing. My DR550 had an issue that I'd been putting off dealing with. Since my son has always been a tinkerer/DIY kid, I offered him the guitar if he wanted it. I sometimes miss having it, but zero regrets giving it away.

I always believed that Hohner with this 21st century line of guitars was trying to approximate their 900/Arbor series from decades before. All solid woods (cedar top, East Indian rosewood B&S, striped ebony fretboard & bridge, body & neck bound in maple, top purfling, gold hardware. Here are some pics of when it was mine. As always, I preface my pics with the caveat that I am a lousy photographer. I wish now that I had had the forethought to take more close ups and of inside the soundhole. I don't remember offhand where it was made. Pretty sure it wasn't Korea by that point (the first decade of the 21st century).

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

At the time that I bought it, I the only other Hohner I owned was my beloved MiJ 1983 G-940. Here is a pic of those two Hohner dreadnoughts together. And as proof of my earlier comment about my lousy pic-taking, the light coming through the window behind me was glaring off the headstock of my 940, thus obscuring a clear view.:(:oops:

[​IMG]

envirodat and Gsweng like this.
  14. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Yea, I need to investigate further but I think the were "Handcrafted in Indonesia". I think they are outstanding guitars (especially for the money, mine was $500!). I wanted a rosewood / cedar combination - look out James Taylor! As you say, all solid wood construction and ebony appointments, fretboard, bridge and even the tuning keys. Maple binding. Mine has a pickguard and is in near mint condition. Only thing is the bridge plate which I will shore up soon. Anxious to get that fixed and put the new strings on it to see how it sounds. I've seen these before and didn't know what they were. I'll post some pics once I get it together.

LGOberean likes this.
  15. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Speaking of James Taylor, the dr550 is a little less pricey than his Olson (about $30k)!

16. LGOberean

Yeah, I was thinking Indonesia, too, but that was from memory. Since I haven't seen that guitar in 5 years, I wasn't 100% sure the label said "Handcrafted in Indonesia." Mine was wonderfully light, plenty loud, had good string to string articulation, and wasn't a bad strummer, though the tone tended to break up more when strummed hard, due to the cedar top. Mine didn't have a pickguard, nor did it have ebony buttons on the tuners. They were gold-plated.

I haven't been looking to replace that exact model, but if I were to stumble across one, or if my son were to tell me tomorrow that he doesn't want it anymore and offered to give it back, I'd take it in a New York minute.

17. LGOberean

Interesting to note the neck differences about the 905s that have passed through your hands, Lee, including mine. As for your 905 with the D-TAR system, reading about that brand told me that I don't want to go that route. So, I thank you for the generous offer to trade straight across the board, but I'm going to go with modding the 905 I have. I'm actually looking forward to the idea of doing the install myself.

I spent about half an hour this morning playing it out on our back deck while the dog and me were out enjoying the sunshine. Just got back inside from doing the same thing this afternoon. Acoustically it is so loud, and sounds so good. And when I glance down at the guitar in my hands as I'm playing, it looks like my 940, albeit from a couple of decades ago.

(I've worn off a lot of the finish on the neck of my 940, so there are obvious spots where the lacquered gloss finish is gone, and places where the wood has darkened due to my repeated playing over the years. The 905 came to me as a guitar that had been played considerably less...but I'm working to change that. :twisted:)

This 905 is going to be a great choice for gigging. I haven't 100% decided yet what system to install, but the definite frontrunner at this point is the K&K Sound Pure Mini.

18. leftcoastarborist

Hi Larry,

That is a nice guitar. I will look forward to hear about the mod you choose.

19. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Pictures of my hg320 with original hang tag.
    DSCN2704.JPG DSCN2705.JPG DSCN2706.JPG DSCN2707.JPG DSCN2708.JPG DSCN2710.JPG DSCN2711.JPG DSCN2713.JPG DSCN2714.JPG

Attached Files:

leftcoastarborist and envirodat like this.
  20. leftcoastarborist

Greg,

Wow! That thing has it all! Hang tag, care book, and date stamp. Doesn't get any better than that.

Appears to be in great condition.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.