Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. bridgepinSr.

bridgepinSr. Former Member

G-930

[​IMG]

G-930 B/S Makassa

[​IMG]

Check out the binding, each guitar has it's own style of binding and center strip

[​IMG]

Starting with the 930 there is a white strip that goes down the side of the neck in the binding and this style continues on through the 950

[​IMG]

Also starting with the 930 the way the nut is installed is different and this style also goes to the 950

HG-920 nut

[​IMG]

HG-930 nut

[​IMG]

Also starting with 930 the heal cap binding is a Maple diamond with a piece the same wood as the B/S as the main cap

HG-920

[​IMG]

HG-950

[​IMG]

2. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

Wow, thanks for all these detailed photos and explanations. This is awesome.

3. bridgepinSr.

OK here's the HG-940 B/S Mahogany

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the binding on the 940

[​IMG]

HG-950

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headstock 950

[​IMG]

HG-950

[​IMG]

4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Glad you got the program worked out, David, and boy am I glad you posted those pics! Beautiful, nice close-ups!

5. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

I think it so cool to find out about these little details like the binding being unique to the models and the nut install, etc. This is such great info to have.

6. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

I got an HG-930 sitting in living room....whoohoo!

7. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

David, you were correct, someone at some point replaced the saddle with a hunk o' junk plastic unit. I will get something more suitable put on it in the next few days hopefully. Luckily the action on it is not too terrible but I think it could be better. It is a fairly bright guitar in terms of tone with a real mid forward vibe, Bottom end is light but very balanced which I think will make it an excellent guitar to record with. I usually battle low end control recording these dreadnaughts. I'll try and get something recorded in the not too distant future, though I may wait until I get a new saddle and setup done.

Overall, the guitar is in good shape with a few whiskey dings here and there but nothing I wouldn't expect on a guitar of this age.

8. bridgepinSr.

Hi Larry and Orvillian

Thanks for the positive feed back on the pics, boy I sure did have a struggle there for a bit going from Windows XP to Windows 8, it is just so different, but we got it done.:)

Orvillian, check those bridge pins and the bridge plate, see if it is chewed up and see if the ball end of the strings are going into the plate, a big tone and sustain killer and a very easy repair. I also think replacing the Ebony pins with bone pins adds volume and sustain, I buy my stuff from LMI, very good prices

9. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

Here are a few pics of the new porch cannon...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

Well the 930 is gone for a week or so, getting a new bone saddle and a setup. I'll try and get some sounds posted on its' return.

11. bridgepinSr.

Orvillian
    Congrats on your new guitar, she looks sweet, I look forward to hearing a clip or two

12. LGOberean

Okay, I'll admit it: I don't know what LMI stands for. (Maybe in my case it stands for "Larry's Missing Intelligence." :oops:)

13. bridgepinSr.

14. LGOberean

Well, now that you say it, it seems so obvious. Anyway, thanks for the link.

15. bridgepinSr.

Hi Larry,
    I found that they are good folks to deal with, good prices too. :D

16. LGOberean

David, I've been having fun surfing through their website. And I agree, their prices don't look half bad. Thanks again.

17. LGOberean

Has anyone here ever replaced or re-seated a nut on an acoustic?

I mentioned 6 months ago that my Hohner DR550 needs work on the nut, and I haven't gotten around to it yet, in part I guess because I've never had to do this before.

I've heard conflicting reports on attempting this myself. One local friend who does work on his own guitars once said that replacing the nut was once job he wouldn't do himself. Others have talked like it's no big deal.

Just wondering if any of you have had any experience with this, and can offer some encouragement/pointers.

18. bridgepinSr.

Larry, I think if you are just going to do the one, it really wouldn't be worth the time and risk of not getting it right. There is always some adjustments that are needed, even in a pre cut nut. I know that you care for that guitar and if this is something that you wish to try, I would find a yard sale guitar that didn't mean anything to you and start on that.

19. Orvillian

Orvillian TDPRI Member

If replacing the nut is what needs to happen, I would take it to a luthier to do it. It is not expensive usually. If you want to experiment with filing yours down, I would go for it...knowing if you booger it up, you can get it replaced. That is my opinion anyway.

I got my 930 back and have messed around with recording a little bit with it but I have been so busy with other studio projects that I have not had time to burn a cd and post anything. I will get to it eventually. It ia really nice bright and balanced sounding guitar to record with.

20. LGOberean

Thanks, guys. I go back and forth on this. On the one hand, I'd like the experience and satisfaction of doing this myself. OTOH, I don't want to get it wrong.

If I decide in favor of the DIY approach, I'll probably go with the idea of practicing on a yard sale/pawn shop find. After all, that's an excuse for buying another guitar, right? ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.