1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Thanks, Bill, that makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

2. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

No acoustics, just the Tele and P bass.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm doing well, a little busier than I've been in about a year, but fine.

Kind of you to say, Lee, but I really think that there are so many of you that have surpassed my level of knowledge about Hohners, particularly the MiJ Hohners. Since I have only ever owned 3 such models--two HG-14s at separate times, an HG-905 and my beloved G-940--I've only had eyes and hands and ears on those.

As for research, my copy of Fjestad's Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars (11th edition, 2007) sadly lists none of the MiJ series Hohner guitars. Everything listed in that resource deals instruments manufactured in Korea or elsewhere. Yeah, I can do research via the Internet, but then y'all are more than capable of that kind of research as well. And the personal contacts you've made with sellers, employees, Bucky Barrett, etc. certainly goes beyond my own contacts.

I certainly wish y'all well in this endeavor, and I'll be glad to help if I can. I just don't think that I have that much more to offer. And I'm not saying this out of sour grapes or depression. I'm delighted that others have come along to further our knowledge of Hohner guitars. I may have started this race, but I'm happy to pass the baton.

My view of the threads I've started or contributed to in the Owners Club section of TDPRI--concerning Harmony, Logan Custom, Hohner brands--has always been to make it a repository of information. And of course that meant that others participating in discussion and sharing were necessary to build up a greater body of information.

4. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Larry, all very much appreciated. Hopefully, we can pull together a rev- on this document, not quite a rev-0, and it would be great if you are involved in the review. The real authors are you and the entire Hohners Owners Group. I see this document evolving over time, with additional inputs and additions coming from the group you started. This forum can continue to feed additional updates and improvements to the document, assuming we can pull things together for the initial rev and see what we have. It all started with your initial vision on expanding the knowledge base of Hohners. Kudos to you. BTW, I'm also looking at your other forums; I might have to have one of those Logan Customs! Harmony, I need to think about. Thanks Larry for all you do. Gsweng (Greg).

5. LGOberean

Thanks, Greg. Like I said, I'll be glad to help with the project if I can.

As for the other club threads that I've started...

I have a sentimental soft spot for Harmony guitars. My father was a guitar player, and from at least as far back as 1961 I remember him having Harmony guitars. And there is an old photograph from the late 1940s of Dad and his twin brother posing with instruments (Dad on guitar, my uncle on mando), and thanks to fellow TDPRIer @Wildeman the guitar Dad was playing was an old Supertone ade by Harmony. I first plunked around on Dad's 1961 Stella by Harmony H929, then got serious about learning to play in 1967 on Dad's Harmony Archtone H1213. After I showed Dad I was going to stick with playing guitar, he bought a Harmony Silhoette H19 electric to play. So there is like I say a very personal and sentimental connection to the brand.

And they're generally well made. The acoustics I grew up with were all solid woods (birch). And they were MiC. No, not China. That's my way of pointing out they were American made (Made in Chicago). So they are for a lot of us collectible instruments, not because they were high end instruments back in the day, but because they harken back to a time before outsourcing of manufacturing to the Orient (Japan, back then), and so many of us old codgers began playing them.

Now as for the Logan Customs, yeah, boutique/custom made in Wisconsin by Bob Logan, at prices that are to say the least reasonable. Bob is a retired custom home builder; a lot of the homes and buildings in the little town of Delafield, Wisconsin were built by Bob's company back in the day. Upon retirement, he turned his woodworking skills and his shop to building guitars. And they are quality.

Right now I'm mainly gigging with "Aggie," my acoustic/electric guitar in tele dimensions. (I call her "Aggie" because the top is ash, the back is mahogany, so Ash + Mahogany = A&M = "Aggie.") It's kinda sad that my teles aren't getting more gigs these days, but the only consistent playing out I'm doing lately is volunteer work at a seniors care facility. In the past, I would take both Aggie and one of my teles along with two amps, but that's really overkill for a show for seniors in an activity room for just 90 minutes, so now I just take Aggie and my Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge amp. I do have an outdoors Market Days gig next month at a nearby marina. I'll be taking a tele and Aggie to that one.

6. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Larry, funny you mention the Harmony H1213. I've been watching one on reverb-looks good (single owner) made in 1956 (when I was made!). I have a new Godin arch top and a 1952 Gibson l-50 I need to work on. I'm also interested in an l-50 that Lee might sell. The price on the the Harmony is low! Kind of tempting.

7. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

You gotta get it! My 1213 is a '71, my birth year....its a good thing.

8. LGOberean

A '56. Be advised, the neck will probably be as fat as a baseball bat, and will not have a truss rod or any steel reinforcement. Unless it says "Steel reinforced neck" on the headstock. Last year I bought a 1953 (my birth year) Broadway H954. It has the thick neck, not reinforced, and it's not a problem. Plays well up and down the neck.

Dad's H1213 was a mid '60s vintage, the "Harmony" logo on the headstock was different than what's on my Broadway and what must be on that 56 you're looking at. Like @Wildeman said, get that birth year guitar!

9. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Larry, thanks for the heads up. I looked at the pictures a little closer (luckily there's a lot) and noticed that the headstock did not say "steel reinforced" (must have been a different guitar I was looking at) and the string action looked way high. Not sure how much adjustment there is in the bridge. I already have a couple projects going on, including the l-50, so I think I'll stand down on this one at this point.

LGOberean likes this.
  10. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

BTW, were there any Hohner archtops?

11. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

envirodat (Bill), some serial number data on the HG-320 I just got. Model HG-320, serial number H-08402, date 08-78 (all on the sticker inside the sound hole, nothing on the neck block). It came with the original hang tag that says Limited Edition, although there is no markings on the guitar to indicate such. Thanks, Greg.

12. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Thanks Gsweng (Greg). I have updated the sheet.

13. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Well, back on page 88 was my first post here, and I promised to get ya'll pictures of my 2 Hohner guitars...
    - 1970-something G03 Acoustic
    - 1970-something HG-400SG (lawsuit SG)

So, with shaky hands and no photographic skills whatsoever... haha... here they are...

1970-something Hohner G03 Acoustic
    Hohner G-03 - 01.jpg
    Hohner G-03 - 02.jpg
    Hohner G-03 - 03.jpg
    Hohner G-03 - 04.jpg
    Hohner G-03 - 05.jpg
    Hohner G-03 - 06.jpg

14. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

1970-something Hohner HG-400SG (lawsuit SG)
    - Dimarzio Dual-Sound pickups (aka Super Distortion w/ mini switches for coil split)
    - German-made Schaller tuners
    Hohner HG-400SG - 01sm.JPG
    Hohner HG-400SG - 02sm.JPG
    Hohner HG-400SG - 03sm.JPG
    Hohner HG-400SG - 04sm.JPG
    Hohner HG-400SG - 05sm.JPG

15. Rockin Gramps

Rockin Gramps TDPRI Member

I love SG guitars... great sound, light weight with awesome whole neck access. Have only seen a few Hohner versions come up for sale the last few years and would buy one if the right deal an condition presents itself. Thanks for sharing!

I own / play 2 Epiphones and 1 Gibson SG’s

Rock On, RG

B750109E-D0FB-439C-B0E9-742A13EAFBC7.jpeg

leftcoastarborist and envirodat like this.
  16. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Almost like new, 1 tiny ding in top near lower bout. ECB4410A-EA70-4D30-86C0-3B1F50F86AD1.jpeg 772037A1-BD8C-43F7-A760-DAC97706DC06.jpeg 244E70C8-6039-436E-AA40-5C3FD29EA7AE.jpeg C3699F1C-2F82-4296-BD90-323068879A4D.jpeg 5094D0DD-D849-4E27-9ABF-83FB27569E69.jpeg 7D77D768-C22C-4395-A664-3337F1172D48.jpeg

Gsweng and envirodat like this.
  17. leftcoastarborist

Thought some of our members would like to see the interpretation of “semi-solid” back and sides is.

This was found in an ad for a Morris guitar. Many of the Hohner brand guitars were identical to Morris and probably built by Terada. F4F52E69-36AD-4C46-9AA9-3DD6A62C6899.jpeg

envirodat likes this.
  18. FanofJapan

FanofJapan TDPRI Member

I think the fingerboard is more than likely rosewood. Worldwide restrictions came into force on the supply of Brazilian rosewood, way before Hohner guitar's were introduced.

19. leftcoastarborist

Most of the Hohner guitars I have list the fingerboard and bridge as being rosewood. The 940 and 950 are ebony.

20. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

That-there HG06 sure is purty! I have grown to really like the look of the 3 piece back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.