1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

It’s my subjective opinion that my Hohner HG-730 has more bass than my dreadnoughts. Presently (for dreads) I have a Yamaha FG-360 (MIJ), a Yamaha FG-350W, a Lotus L-260 (MIJ), and now this Cortley J-6000 (which they called jumbo but it looks like a dread size to me). I also have a Yamaha FS-350S and a Yamaha SJ-180 (which I bought new in 1982), these two are slightly smaller than dreads. Of course all of these acoustics are vintage, nothing’s newer than the mid-80’s. I had a late 60’s or early 70’s El Degas MIJ dread but it was in moderately rough cosmetic shape so I sold it. Oh I also have an Ovation 1868 Elite shallow body but I bought it for it’s ability to play plugged-in rather than its purely unplugged sound, though for a shallow body it’s pretty good.

The louder bass response could come from several factors: the larger body, the longer scale length, or the psychological effect from paying a lot more for the Hohner than I did for any of the others (except maybe the Ovation). The two Yamaha FGs have an excellent sound, clean and clear, they’re two of the best FG models out there supposedly. The Lotus is pretty clear, but I would call the Cortley “jangly” since it seems to have overtones the others don’t. This could be the top reacting to new strings and the Bridge Doctor though, time will tell.

I’ve gone to nickel-bronze strings on my acoustics, the phosphor bronze reacts with my skin and turns dark (leaving black on my fingertips) and smells funky. I now use the D’addario 10-47 extra light gauge. When I was starting out I had subscribed to the old wives tale that heavier strings equal more volume, I may even gone as high as 13s. However, they were so difficult to play (especially compared to an electric) and over the years I realized how the higher string tension from heavier strings can wreak havoc on acoustics.

2. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Bill,

I have never owned an acoustic with the sunburst, although the hollow body 800 series might qualify.

This guitar is amazing for it’s looks, but even more so, for it’s
    condition. I doubt it has ever been played. Greg asked when it was built and I said probably after mid 1980. Looking closer inside I found a build date of JUN 81 branded on a top brace above the sound hole. I have never seen that before.

This is an all laminate guitar. Compared to the 940 or 905 it does not have the same projection and sustain. That being said, it still sounds very good. I do think the HG-700, which is also all laminate, has more base, projection and volume than the dreadnought due to size. Keep in mind that I am old, my hearing is poor and I am not truly a player. I am, however, a pretty good collector.

The Cortley that PhoenixBill posted pictures of is one more brand that is proof of the connection between Hohner and many brands through a builder. I suspect owners of other brands from this time period are going through the same process of identification of factories that we are.

3. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Right, that's my plan. Seems like they also have videos of people playing specific guitars.

4. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

I just received my hg-700. It's in great shape but with a little fret wear in the usual spots that I'll file out a little. I need to look at it closer but has minimal scratches / dings. Doesn't sound as big as I thought it would but it has old strings on it and the action is too high. I'll adjust the truss a little and maybe the saddle. I kind of like a higher action for a strummer, maybe 2 mm at the 12th fret 6th string. This is over 2.5 mm.

5. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Bill,some info on the hg-700 Limited Edition I just received: serial number 8003403
    On the neck block is K 612035
    Thanks, Greg.

6. leftcoastarborist

PhoenixBill,

Your Cortley is almost identical to the Hohner HG-06.

7. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

That is a very cool guitar, I've played it. It was at my local MGR. Congrats.

8. leftcoastarborist

Wildeman,

You must be a very careful picker! There is not a mark on this instrument.

9. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

I have updated the sheet. Thanks Greg for the information. I have a question for the group. Would it be best to post it with a PDF or text format? I want to share the updates with the group.

10. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Bill, if you want to maintain configuration control for a while, I'd go with PDF.

11. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

All, there's a nice hg-905 on reverb taking offers. Looks to be in great shape except the top has some nicks and scratches. A little simichrome would take care of a lot of it.

12. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Hi Greg,

Happy to take care of this for now. If people wish the Excel version, please PM with your email. Here is the latest version.

Attached Files:

13. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Yeah, its in great shape. It was in the shop when i bought the Hohner Tele i posted earlier, small world huh?

14. leftcoastarborist

Wildeman,

It is a small world. Do you have any Hohner acoustics?

15. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

All, a little update on where I'm at relative to organizing the data in this group. I have an outline (which we can change once we see the data all in one place). I'm up to pg 5 in the group site - 100 more to go. I'm concentrating on MIJ acoustics. One thing I'd like to know, is there a method to the madness in terms of what kind of acoustics Hohner put out? What is the taxonomy? For example, Gibson are jumbos, dreds, parlors, slope shoulder, square shoulder, etc. In Hohner's case, where do the hg-01 - 09s fit in with the 300, 700, 900 series, etc.? Are they based on student / professional models, etc.? On taxonomy chart would be useful. It would also help in organizing the information on specific models instead of having a random listing with description / pictures. Not sure if you catch my drift but maybe the more knowledgeable members (you know who you are) can weigh in here.

16. leftcoastarborist

Hi Greg,

I will give you the info as I know it from Hohner ads, catalogs spec sheets, the Orion blue book, personal research.

900 series are dreadnought.
    800 series are semi-acoustic/electric
    700 series are jumbo auditorium
    614 concert classic
    500 series are dreadnought
    400 series are dreadnought
    330, 332, 334 classical
    300 series (other) dreadnought
    200, 210, 220 dreadnought
    294 folk
    296, 299, 299-7 grand concert
    07 auditorium (000 size)
    03, 04, 06, 09, 26 dreadnought
    14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 25 classical
    12, 12D, 12L dreadnought 12 string
    G11M all mahogany dreadnought
    G21M all mahogany parlor (00 size)

All numbers preceded by either HG- or G- .

All guitars made in Japan, though many of these models continued being built in Korea. The exception being the 900 series, 800 series and possibly 700 series.

There may well be some models I am unaware of.

Good luck Greg

17. leftcoastarborist

I forgot to tell you, some of the guitars (HG-01 for example) were built in Italy. Prior to Japan many European countries built guitars for Hohner.
    After Japan they were manufactured in Korea, Indonesia, China and the Czech Republic. May have been others.

18. leftcoastarborist

Larry,

It would be great to have you involved in the gathering of info for the project Bill (envirodat) and Greg (Gsweng) have started.

You have done so much research for members over the years and have good resources.

Hope all is well with you,
    Lee

19. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

PhoenixBill, I have a similar issue with a hg-700 I just received. Action is a little high. Tried to take out a little relief with the truss -not enough. All my other Hohners have tall saddles -not this one. I noticed it has quite a belly I didn't see before. I'm going to try the Bridge Doctor. Did you use the $24.99 one where you drill a hole in the bridge or the brass pins one (not sure how that one works but it cost twice as much)? Let me know when you have time. Thanks, Greg.

20. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

I used the basic cheaper one, drilled the hole in the bridge. I am pleased to say the action has improved quite nicely since my original post.

I believe that the Bridge Doctor has the best chance of success when the front edge, the pivot point if you will, is as far ahead of the saddle as possible. The torque introduced by the push rod can then pull the bridge down. So I moved the plastic screw piece back to the back hole.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.