1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hohner Owners

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by LGOberean, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

I also read from a variety of sources (maybe the same source?) that the master luthier behind these guitars was Kazou Yairi of Yairi guitar fame. I have some Yairis and they look similar, especially the neck and back of the headstock. Yairi was a big fan of laminate back and sides since he thought it stiffened up the guitar and better focused the sound. He even put laminate b/s on his professional models.

2. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Greg,
    Steve Boulton is a member of this forum that lives in the UK. He is also the one that started a Facebook forum named Vintage Hohner Acoustic Group.
    Steve is very knowledgeable about Hohner guitars. The group he started has many members that own a variety of Hohner guitars. Some of them are members of this forum as well. People seem to stay more active on one or the other. They are both good sources of info.
    A member of the Facebook group named Peter Wyness owns several 900 series Hohner guitars and plays professionally. He would be a good source also. Peter lives in South Africa.
    South Africa must have had a very active distributor for Hohner. Your 950, my 950, and Peter’s 950, three 920 and two 912 guitars came from that country.
    The Yari connection to building Hohner guitars has not been proven conclusively, to my knowledge. Many owners and sellers state that their guitar was built by Yari but offer no proof. I have known of one luthier state that the high end Hohner classical guitars are Yari built, but again, no proof offered. Steve Boulton has identified Morris as being identical to some 300 models and is correct. In fact, my 360R has a Hohner label and Morris branding. Terada built Morris guitars.
    I think some progress has been made in the knowledge base for the MIJ Hohner guitars in recent years, but the lack of company records is a large obstacle to overcome. David (muddyshoes) had a long time Hohner employee as a source years ago and discovered some of his facts as remembered were unreliable.
    Any effort put forth to consolidate information will be a good thing.

3. leftcoastarborist

Greg and Bill,

Just a few thoughts about the proposed project.

I think narrowing the scope of this project to acoustic guitars that were made in Japan is a must. Although many nice Hohner guitars were made in other countries before and after Japan, the task would be too great.

I think all acoustics, not just 300, 700, and 900 series should be included if possible. There are other series and some stand alone that are nice instruments.

Consideration of a section on catalogs, ads and accessories from the company would be helpful. Also reference books of prices, etc.

4. leftcoastarborist

Greg,
    If you are watching that 310 on eBay, it is unique in one way that I have not seen before. The info usually on a label is branded on the bracing like the 900 series.

5. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

It’s not a Hohner...it’s a Cortley, J-6000....just brought her home for the princely sum of $90. Made in Japan. Action a little high, let’s hope tightening the truss rod to take out some neck relief and adding a Bridge Doctor takes care of it. Kinda dirty, obviously, I hope I canget away with a fret dressing and not have to do a partial fret job.

. B0236A0E-F1AF-4206-B5A8-117B563ABC69.jpeg E3339CC3-915E-4A6B-9370-E018AA5BCAA0.jpeg 536F9F14-6A61-4590-B46B-AAC61E383256.jpeg AF0C7386-B510-4E4A-9D15-2DB104C3E4BA.jpeg

leftcoastarborist likes this.
  6. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Yes, I agree. All information that pertains should be organized and included. Then everything can be in one evolving document. How do you get on the U.K. Facebook Vintage Hohner Acoustic Group site? Do I need to sign up on the U.K. Site?

7. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

That's nice. Looks like my MIJ Kay with the three piece back and maple center. I wasn't so lucky with mine. Got it from the U.K. And had to pay import duties. Had to replace the saddle and redress / crown the frets in the cowboy chord area. Then it developed a buzz on the G string. Narrowed that down to a bad tuner. So I replaced the tuners and it finally plays good. Sounds good too but I probably have 10x into it relative to what you paid. Somehow it didn't end up to be such a deal. Live and learn. Can't tell how much saddle you have there. You can sand it down to lower the action if you have enough to sand.

8. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Hi Greg, the FB site is open for people to join. I found it searching for groups on FB.

9. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

I’ve cleaned it up, added the Bridge Doctor, dressed the first few frets, tightened the truss rod until there’s zero neck relief, and sanded the saddle down until it’s barely peeking out of the bridge. Still high action...argh....am sanding the top of the bridge down now and filing a suitable notch ensuring adequate break angle between the pin and saddle. I think I can get it livable but it’s not going to be great action. I am not quite ready to dive into the learning experience of a neck reset.

10. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

I think if you sand the bridge down (match the curvature) you should be able to get there. This will give you more saddle to work with. I agree, no neck resets.

11. leftcoastarborist

Greg,

There is a link on page 39 of this site to Vintage Hohner Acoustic Group.

12. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Okay, got that old Cortley playable. Action is...well, ok but not great. Believe it or not, there is a Cortley website, they are essentially Cortez just spelled differently for variety. The connection with Hohner? They were made in Japan by Terada and Daeion (spelling?) and others. Turns out mine is a 1973 model and is a Martin D45 copy, with spruce top, rosewood back and sides, and Curley maple center on the back. Nice abalone MOP inlays. Sound is very lively, lots of mids and perhaps even “jangly” but they are new nickel bronze strings. My Hohner 730 has much more bass but it’s a super jumbo Guild copy so the increased bass is to be expected.

leftcoastarborist likes this.
  13. leftcoastarborist

Look what followed the HG-370 to my house.

It is not a fancy guitar, but it appears to be unplayed. I can find no scratches, dings or wear on fret or fret board.

This is a G-09. They came in this sunburst, natural, and black. They also came with adjustable saddle or fixed, like this one.

I know what all of you are thinking, but I could not say no.

11F07D30-E396-4AF2-8DE1-6DA2EC44EBC2.jpeg B3728B63-A9EE-480F-BD6A-4A5E0BD3175E.jpeg 38C67D19-B774-474F-AF82-5CB4EA615BB9.jpeg 00AC5EA5-76B9-48A4-928D-D7245FC11C1E.jpeg 0E679AEE-AFB0-4AF8-9919-CDB0D6D0A9C1.jpeg F96F60B6-EC50-4ECA-BFDA-EABCEF037B1F.jpeg 5B3AB5D8-83AB-4554-8EAB-9BB0660CE686.jpeg B1663C90-919F-42D0-BE97-25946EC4B544.jpeg 9CF48979-D089-46E8-B1A2-A89CC379ECEB.jpeg

envirodat likes this.
  14. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Sweet, that’s a nice looking guitar.

15. leftcoastarborist

PhoenixBill, Your Cortley is a nice looking guitar. With the build and headstock font it had to be related to the Hohner.

16. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Thanks, got it (pending anyway).

17. Gsweng

Gsweng TDPRI Member

Nice. I like the sunburst. It looks like a brand new guitar. Where did you find it? What year do you think it is?

18. leftcoastarborist

Greg, I found it online through Music Go Round. It is all laminate. Spruce top, mahogany back and sides. I think it is after first half of 1980 since it is G instead of HG. It is MIJ.

I can find no wear on this guitar! No dings, scratches, worn frets, wear on finger board. The bridge plate looks pristine. Not a fancy model but so beautiful. My only acoustic with sunburst.

19. leftcoastarborist

Greg, When you join Vintage Hohner Acoustic Group you will have to read the old posts. Some of the same group as here, but lots of others too.
    Good photos and info.

20. envirodat

envirodat Tele-Meister

Nice addition to the forest Lee. Remember, nature abhors a vacuum and a collector's forest abhors having some of the trees taken out. I figure for every duplicate guitar you sell, you can fill it in with beauties like this that you have never had. Think of it as research to help with compiling the book on Hohners. With the mahogany back and sides how does it compare to the other mahogany guitars you have?

in reading the above, the do the 700 series have more base than a regular dread?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.