Hohner arbor series HG-912 guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by tiw68w, Jul 26, 2014.

1. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Hi, I'm new here but I have read all I have searched the web. What I want to know is does anybody know what the back and sides wood is? Hohner lists on it;s brochure they use rosewood, selected mahogany and makassa? Macassar ebony? The closest match I can come to is ovangkol or perhaps curly mahogany. I have on on the way to me. I would be very grateful for anyone that really know and or can point me to a brochure on this 12 string guitar, thanks!

2. dsginzen

dsginzen Tele-Meister

Back & sides are probably laminated mahogany. Board rosewood, but there's a slight chance they would have used the makassa for the fretboard. I'm not real familiar with these.

Some good pics might help sort it all out. could be a great guitar. Good luck!

3. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I believe it is figured ovangkol.

4. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Hi thanks for the reply! I would post the pics but it asks for a url. I have them saved on the computer. I think is might be ovangkol too but they never said they used it in the brochure for the arbor series. Macassa? I could find no macassa wood on the net. Macassar ebony yes. Why do you think it is figured ovsangkol?
    I hope it is ovangkol I have never heard one so I'd be interested to see how close it is to rosewood. I went through the same search with my Yairi DY-80 12 string in coral rosewood. I've never heard of that one either and can't really find info on that either. That's what the factory brochure calls it. If I can figure out how to post pics I would both are pretty guitars in my opinion. Where are the Hohner owners Did I get the wrong forum? I,m very new here.

5. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

6. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

It sure is a beauty!

Attached Files:

8. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

I think so too! I can't tell the grain of the top, but it supposedly is from up your way either Alaska or Canada. What par of Canada are you in?

9. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

The top is Alaskan Spruce. I am in Eastern Canada and we have black spruce which is used for pulp to make paper and as construction grade lumber.

10. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Hi Glenn, thank you so much for your reply and info! I am supposed to get the guitar tomorrow. I will post what it sounds like after I get it and check it out.

11. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

PS the guitar in you pic looks pretty nice too! What kind/model is is? What type of wood is it?

12. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

The guitar in my avatar is a Raven West tele type with a spalted maple top over mahogany and a through neck.

Attached Files:

13. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Very beautiful! Thanks for the big pictures!

14. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

I'd love to feel this neck, where the body starts.

15. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Yes, It looks like someone did a good job of allowing easy acesss to the top frets and a nice smooth blending into the body. I believe you that it is very comfortable!

16. tiw68w

tiw68w TDPRI Member

Well I got the guitar and it is very nice, no dents, dings or scratches as the pics show, I think it was the camera. Sounds very nice too. I am still going to contact Hohner and see if they can tell me what the back and sides are although figured ovangkol is leading the pack. If I get any ionfo I will post here for other Hohner owners. I can say thios HG-912 12 string guitar is very hard to get info on!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.