Hofner Diamond Logo Pickups?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by pagedr, Dec 9, 2019.

1. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

I was recently in a local shop and they had this old Hofner 172 (or a model similar to it) hanging on the wall. Plugged it in out of curiosity and it sounded really great and unique, very bluesy sound going through a Tweed. From a little research it appears that it had the original "diamond logo" pickups in it which I guess are single coils. Anyway, just wondering what modern pickups might compare to these. Guessing P90s would probably have a similar tone, anything else?

2. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

john kleeman likes this.
  3. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Thanks! I must've missed that in my searching around.

Here's an example of someone playing one live that sounds really great if anyone has any ideas for what other guitars might get in that ballpark.

4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I picked this beauty up a few weeks ago. Not sure of the large H on the headstock is Hofner or not but it has similar pickups. From my experimentation on them they have two leads so they are a single coil pup, more like a P90 in design.
    IMG_2300.jpg IMG_2305.jpg IMG_2302.jpg IMG_2291.jpg

john kleeman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.