HofF induction... Black Keys call out Steve Miller for being jerkface/regret inducting him

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So wrong. On so many levels. I travel all over this country. Every inch of it. And parts of some others.

There's isn't another city I'd rather live in. Anywhere.

There is absolutely nothing you can find in any other US city (except a sports championship) that isn't in Cleveland at half the price and none of the traffic. World class restaurants, theatre, music, museums, it's off the hook. And is DIRT cheap compared to anywhere else.

The music scene positively pummels most places I've been. A lot of people are gonna be surprised when some time in the next ten years, the Cleveland scene looks like Athens in the 80's, or Seattle in the 90's. I won't be. I've been watching it build and develop.

There isn't a city in this country I'd take over Cleveland. If you can't find something fun to do for next to nothing, seven days a week, you're not trying.

I've lived all over the place, and I can say with 100% confidence that leaving there was a major mistake for me.

younkint and uriah1 like this.
  2. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Talent had nothing to do with it?

unclefred likes this.
  3. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Who knew Steve Miller and the Sex Pistols had so much in common?[​IMG]

Blue Bill likes this.
  4. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

"Cleveland city of light, city of magic"

Burn On by Randy Newman (who I don't think is in the hall) also contains this fantastic quatrain:

"Well the Lord can make you tumble
    The Lord can make you turn
    The Lord can make you overflow
    But the Lord can't make you burn"

Apparently 'twas the dark one who set the Cuyahoga ablaze. I like Cleveland though. Always enjoyed myself there. My guess is Cairo has his tongue in his cheek a little bit, both of us being from Baltimore, we can't bag on those other rusted out steeltropole too hard. Betting he's commiserating rather than insulting.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If anyone on this forum - a forum for people who want to fetishize a slab of wood with wires on it, sees a problem with the actual museum (the building) filled w/ loads of similar items - I don't think that makes sense.

The institution dedicated to the advancement of Jann Wenner's legacy ? Sure - that's a load of crap.

And ultimately whether you think anyone, including SM, should or shouldn't be in the RnR HoF comes down to subjectivity. Total subjectivity.

For EVERYONE who's been inducted or should be inducted.

Including this Mop-Topper (and his band) who liked Steve Miller enough to make a great tune with him - a song a lot of folks don't even know exists :

Georox likes this.
  6. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mary Ann.

7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

This is one of those phrases you never expect to hear, like "Yum, Spam!"

Detroit has all the stuff you mentioned though, and more. Like fires.

I do dig the midwestern rust belt vibe, but if I wanted that full time I'd go to Chicago.

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bummed to hear Jake-- thought you were digging Denver.

9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the ROH concept...playing tribute to rock and roll greats. Cleveburg is great spot to put it. (that's what we call it on this end of the lake)

It started like a hard rock cafe of sorts. We got the Tshirts. Over time, they added other music genre's, I guess to stay current.
    Current is not rock and roll. But, I guess they need to pay future bills. Too bad., I still like the (basic plot line),
    and I guess I got to just grimace with the non rock rest of it.

10. Jakedog

I don't wanna hijack the thread. I'll just say after a year and half here, it's become abundantly clear that great scenery and weather are absolutely the only things going for this place.

11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

That's exactly why I left Denver 20 years ago, sorry to hear nothing's changed.

The absolute worst part was realizing that although you could see the beautiful mountains, you might as well actually be in Kansas.

12. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

No, Ford trucks are better!:);)

13. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

:cool:

14. Mike Eskimo

Cleveland is cool. Great town. I don't see it as being that much "Ohio" (which is a good thing). Detroit is not really all that "Michigan" either and everybody from Flint northward will tell you the same thing.

Detroit does have a much deeper rock/music cred

15. Jakedog

I absolutely love Detroit. Which is why I spend all the time there I can get away with. Loads of great musicians, and a scene that's ramping up as fast as Cleveland's. For sure.

More cred? Not sure about that... There's definitely a hell of a lot though. More than most places people think of as "music cities".

16. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

What? Not getting into the "Rocky Mountain High"? Haven't found the right "Rocky Mountain Way"?
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself, JD :oops:
    I can empathize. We used to live out west.

17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

LOL, well, I'll just say I strongly disagree. To me, there is SOOO much to like about Colorado, but if it ain't your thing, it ain't your thing. Personally one of the few things I dislike are that there are so many people coming out here-- please, GO BACK to Cleveland, Kansas, etc LOL

Diff'rent strokes....

Jakedog and rebelwoclue like this.
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I would say Detroit (had) and fashionable Ferndale had more and better bands, that made albums, however, more bands played in Cleveland, if that makes sense.
    They love their rock.

19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I agree. I am also a bit surprised at the beating the Black Keys are taking in this thread. I'm no Black Keys fanboy, but I did not think their comments came across as whiny at all. Seemed pretty reasonable to me.

And I like Steve Miller, but yeah, I guess his behavior was douchey.

mitchfinck and maxvintage like this.
  20. Mike Eskimo

No questions more bands played/play Cleveland than Detroit. The snubbing continues - they play Chicago then Cleveland. And skip an assload of music fans right between those two cities ...

And - to but my nose in where it doesn't belong , I love Colorado but never got Denver at all.

uriah1 and Jakedog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.