1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Hobo's Lullaby...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by jack.plugg, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jack.plugg

jack.plugg Tele-Holic

...in between doing a fairly long-distance gig on Saturday night and a local rehearsal on Sunday afternoon, as well as all the usual routine family events this weekend, I just managed to find enough time to record an old song that I must have first heard some forty or more years ago and still like to sing today.

Two guitars, both 1960s Fenders, a Telecaster and a Malibu.

No hot licks were committed during the recording process.

It's probably rare enough for the name Goebel Reeves to pop up in this forum, but anyhow, here's his song:-

2. sdlotus

sdlotus TDPRI Member

i have always loved that song.I'm old enough to remember hobos.Your voice is sure nice.Just right for that song..................stan

3. jack.plugg

jack.plugg Tele-Holic

Thank you Stan...

...and kind of you to say.

Yes, a good old song. I sometimes sing it if I show my face at a folk club or somewhere like that, and if people are listening they might hum along to the line about "....can you hear the steel rails humming?...." and it is nice when you hear a roomful of people humming along.

As for the hobos, there are probably a few of them somewhere out there still today, or at least their modern equivalent, but maybe twenty-first century life moves along so fast these says that we just don't slow down enough to notice them any more...

4. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Very nice version- thanks for posting it! Your voice really does make it work- but the rest of the arrangement is so tasteful too- the rhythmic subtleties drive the song like a passing train better than most could.

Just curious - whose version of that song did you first hear/emulate?

It became a favorite of mine after hearing it on Arlo Guthrie's LB, which was titled the same, I believe. His sparse doublestopping guitar with the cello churning behind it is probably the slowest version you ever hear- but beatiful.

5. jack.plugg

jack.plugg Tele-Holic

Thank you Brokenpick...

...yes, I enjoyed doing the "train stuff" on the recording.

I live in England and I first heard this song round about 1968 or 1969, being performed by a guy in a folk club, but I don't recall ever actually having sat down to learn it or even to write out the words. It is such a simple song I think that by the time I'd heard it a few times, way back then, it just kind of sunk into my head! I wish I could learn new songs so easily these days...

I don't know if I had anyone's version in mind really, it just kind of evolved!

Ramblin' Jack Elliott and Derroll Adams used to play in England back in the early '60s, wandering from place to place, kind of like a couple of hobos themselves, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's where the song first got heard over here, and then just spread around, as folk songs are wont to do.

I've heard Arlo Guthrie's record and I liked it. I've sung it both fast and slow at different times, and it is good as a slow song, but I think that it is easier to get the "train rhythm" going if sung a little faster...

6. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I performed that song so many times I can't keep it straight. I did a slide version in standard tuning as part of a train exhibit. I not only got to put the exhibit together, I also got to be the hobo.

7. Veebus52

Veebus52 Tele-Meister

Very nice, and I too, like your voice. I have a CD from a woman and man who call themselves "the farm couple" that includes this song. Yours is a very nice rendition. Thanks for sharing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.