Hobbies: flyfishing and banjo playing.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Baard, Aug 30, 2004.

1. mojito

mojito Tele-Meister

Hey Joel,
    Thanks for the tip. I didn't know they made such a thing, I'll have to get one for my daughter. I just hope she doesn't take it wrong. ;)

2. Baard

Baard Tele-Holic

Fly fishing GAS

I jut bought my second flyfishing set in 1,5 months, and I am now known as "the sleepwalker" at home, because I get out at 02.00 in the night and stay out at the water till 06.00. Books on flyfishing everewhere. My girlfriend says that I do it because It´s a challenge for me, not like playing the guitar, "because you already know how to do that, it´s not so much of a challenge." She´s got a point. But I´ll add that it´s also because it´s an activity that I can do whenever I want, and i can choose when not to do it as well. And I get a great feeling of flow by doing it.

The banjo thing is still living, and is even more attractive now that i found out about the mute, thanks.

You cant drink beer and fly fish at the same time, at least not when you´re learning how to do it like I am now. I still have spinner gear and use it, but if i´m going to learn how to fly fish I cant run for it all the time, even if I´m not good enough yet to catch mutch with my fly gear. It´s nice to have found a new hobby.

Baard

Baard

3. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

THAT'S WHAT DROVE ME NUTS

all that fly tying and off-season fly making and feeling like I threw 300 pitches in 7 innings....did I mention tying the
    leader to the wrap in the cold water....
    When I saw "A River Runs Through It" and the way those
    guys looked down their noses at baitcast and spinning
    guys I figured "maybe's there's more to it than meets the eye". Thankfully I saw Paul Hogan in the Foster's Beer
    Commercial (with the Louisville Slugger) and went right
    back to what I grew up with....in fact the biggest fish caught on the Merrimack River in Lawrence last year was
    a 54 pound Carp that a 6 year old girl caught on a
    "Snoopy Rig".....
    Baard I admire You for persevering though.

4. lenny

lenny Banned

i LOVE the fact that i can read about fly fishing, read about fly tying, practice fly tying, practice casting, learn about fish, learn about insects, learn about rivers, learn about the tides... etc etc etc
    i guess i bore easily lol

5. Baard

Baard Tele-Holic

Yeee

Heee heee, Just after writing that I caught a 4 lbs pike on my pike fly. In a pond just down the road from me. My first fish on that rod.

Baard

Baard

6. trag-o-caster

trag-o-caster R.I.P.

Are you saying that we're all invited over for a fish fry? :D

Congratulations! Now go catch a whole mess more!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.